Should Automobile Fuel Tanks Be Limited To 5 Gallons?

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
Since most of us agree that AR-15 Magazines should have a limited ammo capacity, shouldn't automobiles have a limited gas tank as well?

Just look at a few of the benefits:

Less pollution.
Fewer Accidents/Hiway Deaths.
Costs less to fill up.
Car is lighter with less gas so average fuel mileage goes up.

Example: My Truck has a 22 gallon tank but what if it had only a 10 gallon tank? That would be more than a 50% fuel savings for me and I'd be doing my part to save the environment.

What do YOU think?

Since most of us agree that AR-15 Magazines should have a limited ammo capacity, shouldn't automobiles have a limited gas tank as well?

Less pollution.
Costs less to fill up.

Example: My Truck has a 22 gallon tank but what if it had only a 10 gallon tank? That would be more than a 50% fuel savings for me and I'd be doing my part to save the environment.

What do YOU think?

Not even close to the same thing. But funny if you choose to not think about it.

Less pollution.
Costs less to fill up.

What do YOU think?

When they get 70 mpg and more like some European cars do? Sure! Why not? By the way, why is the Obama administration banning those cars from being sold in the United States. Can anyone explain that to me? - Jeri

Less pollution.
Costs less to fill up.

What do YOU think?

When they get 70 mpg and more like some European cars do? Sure! Why not? By the way, why is the Obama administration banning those cars from being sold in the United States. Can anyone explain that to me? - Jeri

I haven't heard anything about it, but I can hazard a few possibilities from what I have read of European cars.

First, if they are diesels, we regulate diesels much more than the Euro's.

Second, we have different safety standards. The Smart car had to be completely redesigned (at huge expense) to sell here.

Third, most companies have it in their heads that Americans will not buy them. And historically they have a point. The aforementioned Smart Car has been a complete bust.

I also know here at work I would estimate we have a parking lot filled with 250 trucks and suv's and maybe 50 cars. 20 of which might get better than 30mpg.

Even now, with gas prices bouncing around $4 a gallon in Western NY, (based upon dealer inventories) I would estimate 2/3rds of car sales are trucks.

Last edited:

Less pollution.
Costs less to fill up.

What do YOU think?

I haven't heard anything about it, but I can hazard a few possibilities from what I have read of European cars.

Second, we have different safety standards. The Smart car had to be completely redesigned (at huge expense) to sell here.

Third, most companies have it in their heads that Americans will not buy them. And historically they have a point. The aforementioned Smart Car has been a complete bust.

I also know here at work I would estimate we have a parking lot filled with 250 trucks and suv's and maybe 50 cars. 20 of which might get better than 30mpg.

Even now, with gas prices bouncing around $4 a gallon in Western NY, (based upon dealer inventories) I would estimate 2/3rds of car sales are trucks.

Brutal winters in western NY mean that you need a vehicle that can handle the bad weather. Move further south and you will see more cars. Not only that but small cars and hybrids are very popular. Even the average SUV is now smaller and lighter. The most popular large vehicle is a minivan which is really only a pregnant accord or camry.

Brutal winters in western NY mean that you need a vehicle that can handle the bad weather. Move further south and you will see more cars. Not only that but small cars and hybrids are very popular. Even the average SUV is now smaller and lighter. The most popular large vehicle is a minivan which is really only a pregnant accord or camry.

Well, that might be the logic they use to justify trucks. But it's bunk.

I am one of the guys who drives a smaller car (VW Jetta at the moment) and I do fine on just about any bad roads. In fact, as one who has driven both quite a bit, I would prefer a front wheel drive car to most trucks in most bad weather. The light rear end and simple 2wd/4wd systems in these trucks make them pretty bad at highway speeds at the margins.

The reason most of these guys claim they drive trucks is the space inside and the bed. Even though most of them will never haul much of anything, they convince themselves that they might just need to... There is even a hint of truth to it as it is a rural area and people around here tend to be fairly self sufficient.

But I came to the conclusion doing the math that it would cost me less to pay for delivery or rent a truck a couple times a year rather than pay for the fuel and truck payments (trucks aren't exactly cheap).

Forum List

Back