Tow No! The Ford F-150 Lightning Struggled in Our Towing Test

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
Is anyone surprised? No one should be.

Before you hitch an Airstream to your electric truck and set out to circumnavigate the country, you need to understand this: With the largest available battery pack, a fully charged 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning electric truck has less energy onboard than a regular F-150 with four gallons of gas in its tank.​
Consider how far a combustion-powered F-150 tows on four gallons of regular unleaded. Fifty miles? Maybe 60 if you drive slowly?​
Now that you understand where we're starting from, you won't be as surprised to learn that the towing range of the electric F-150 is dismal. In MotorTrend testing, an F-150 Lightning Platinum saddled with a camper that nearly maxed out its 8,500-pound towing capacity couldn't even cover 100 miles. Range improved when we hooked up a significantly lighter trailer, but not by as much as you might expect.​

How Much Can the Ford F-150 Lightning Tow?

The Lightning's towing capacity ranges from 5,000 pounds up to 10,000 pounds. To hit the big number, you'll need an XLT or Lariat trim with the optional extended-range battery, and the Max Trailer Tow package that adds more battery- and motor-cooling capacity. To get there, you'll spend at least $75,094.​
...​

What's It Like To Tow With the Ford F-150 Lightning?

With 775 lb-ft of torque on tap, the electric F-150 shoves off from a stop smoothly and confidently, but that authority wanes as speeds climb. Equipped with single-speed transmissions at the front and rear motors, the Lightning can't just downshift into the meat of the torque curve like a gas truck does, so passing maneuvers at highway speeds require patience and planning with a heavy trailer.​
...​
Perhaps most important, the Lightning doesn't try to hide its limited towing range. The truck cut its estimated range in half every time we connected a trailer and punched the load's weight and dimensions into the 15.5-inch touchscreen. That number then fell rapidly during the first few miles of highway driving until it accurately reflected what was possible. Until someone figures out how to double or triple the energy density of lithium-ion batteries, that seems like the most we can ask of electric vehicles that are pressed into towing duty.​

Before you hitch an Airstream to your electric truck and set out to circumnavigate the country, you need to understand this: With the largest available battery pack, a fully charged 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning electric truck has less energy onboard than a regular F-150 with four gallons of gas in its tank.​
Consider how far a combustion-powered F-150 tows on four gallons of regular unleaded. Fifty miles? Maybe 60 if you drive slowly?​
Now that you understand where we're starting from, you won't be as surprised to learn that the towing range of the electric F-150 is dismal. In MotorTrend testing, an F-150 Lightning Platinum saddled with a camper that nearly maxed out its 8,500-pound towing capacity couldn't even cover 100 miles. Range improved when we hooked up a significantly lighter trailer, but not by as much as you might expect.​

The Lightning's towing capacity ranges from 5,000 pounds up to 10,000 pounds. To hit the big number, you'll need an XLT or Lariat trim with the optional extended-range battery, and the Max Trailer Tow package that adds more battery- and motor-cooling capacity. To get there, you'll spend at least $75,094.​
...​

With 775 lb-ft of torque on tap, the electric F-150 shoves off from a stop smoothly and confidently, but that authority wanes as speeds climb. Equipped with single-speed transmissions at the front and rear motors, the Lightning can't just downshift into the meat of the torque curve like a gas truck does, so passing maneuvers at highway speeds require patience and planning with a heavy trailer.​
...​
Perhaps most important, the Lightning doesn't try to hide its limited towing range. The truck cut its estimated range in half every time we connected a trailer and punched the load's weight and dimensions into the 15.5-inch touchscreen. That number then fell rapidly during the first few miles of highway driving until it accurately reflected what was possible. Until someone figures out how to double or triple the energy density of lithium-ion batteries, that seems like the most we can ask of electric vehicles that are pressed into towing duty.​

Wow, I was wondering what the Electric F150 would do. Thanks. I'll hold onto my F250 Super Duty diesel. I don't like it at the pump, but when I want it to work, it is always there. It also compares to the gas mileage of an F150--with a 3200 lb cabover camper at an average of 70 mph, I get 13.5 mph.

Wow, I was wondering what the Electric F150 would do. Thanks. I'll hold onto my F250 Super Duty diesel. I don't like it at the pump, but when I want it to work, it is always there. It also compares to the gas mileage of an F150--with a 3200 lb cabover camper at an average of 70 mph, I get 13.5 mph.
That F250 Diesel is an awesome truck! Maybe a bit loud but definitely up to any towing job. Electric pales in comparison.

If you are looking for something that looks like a truck and at the same time you want to pretend that you are saving the environment this is the toy to buy.

I always said electric pick ups wouldn't be good for anything but a daily driver.

If a truck can't tow it's worthless

Not sure anyone would buy a EV to use to tow things. The people I know that have one all use it for daily commutes and not much more.

Not sure anyone would buy a EV to use to tow things. The people I know that have one all use it for daily commutes and not much more.

I remember when Biden drove one of those Ford electric trucks and people were ooohing and ahhing over it.

There was a thread on it where I said that those things would never be able to tow a trailer and people were calling me an idiot.

But as a guy who owned and wore out at least 7 pick up trucks ( Mostly F 250s and F 350s ) for my business I knew the electric truck wouldn't tow for shit.

I still think the best use for an EV is a daily driver and I'll probably have one at some point in the future

There was a thread on it where I said that those things would never be able to tow a trailer and people were calling me an idiot.
Driving an electric F-150 is like taking a shower with a raincoat on. What's the point?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, the current electric F-150 likely cannot tow like a current gas or diesel F-150.
So stipulated.

But the thing is ....technology developments progress. They advance inexorably.

How did an electric vehicle do when towing an Airstream 5yrs ago? 3 years ago?
Is it better now than then?

Electric vehicles certainly seem to have a future....notwithstanding there will be much....much.....effort required in establishing an infrastructure.

But remember, (if you are really that friggin' old).....but remember when Henry Ford began to sell his first cars there weren't BP or Shell stations all over the place either. Or auto mechanics.

We move forward. Luddites be damned.

I'd never allow an EV in our garage.... damn things start on fire

Saw a video on YouTube where a young girl had just lost her father so the grand father stepped in a bought her a Ford Volt.
The car ran fine for about three months only to have the battery die.
They looked into buying a new battery but couldnt find one since the Volt is no longer in production.
When they did finally find one it cost $12'000 bucks!!!......they paid $11k for the car.

Saw a video on YouTube where a young girl had just lost her father so the grand father stepped in a bought her a Ford Volt.
The car ran fine for about three months only to have the battery die.
They looked into buying a new battery but couldnt find one since the Volt is no longer in production.
When they did finally find one it cost $12'000 bucks!!!......they paid $11k for the car.

I read that. More lunacy in the name of climate fraud....errr change

...​

...​

EVs are nothing but a FAD and scam for Earth Worshipping Morons. They should only be considered as a toy and an alternative and nothing more.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, the current electric F-150 likely cannot tow like a current gas or diesel F-150.
So stipulated.

But the thing is ....technology developments progress. They advance inexorably.

How did an electric vehicle do when towing an Airstream 5yrs ago? 3 years ago?
Is it better now than then?

Electric vehicles certainly seem to have a future....notwithstanding there will be much....much.....effort required in establishing an infrastructure.

But remember, (if you are really that friggin' old).....but remember when Henry Ford began to sell his first cars there weren't BP or Shell stations all over the place either. Or auto mechanics.

We move forward. Luddites be damned.
There is a point where an ICE is just the better choice.

I have always said that EVs have their place in the mix but in all reality the larger the EV is the closer it is to being a wash with the same sized car with an ICE.

Until there is instant charging where an electric truck can top off in a few minutes the ICE trick will always outperform it in towing capacity.

Everyone knows that an EV is more front loaded on the production side as far as emissions go so there is a tipping point where the EV will overtake an ICE in emissions and the smaller the car the lower that tipping point.

For example

The smaller EV only has to be driven something a little less than 15K miles before it's operating carbon footprint beats a gas car.

The bigger the car the more miles it has to be driven. Some of the largest EV SUVs have to be driven well over 80K miles before they overtake their ICE counterparts.

It also matters how the electricity to charge an EV is manufactured

So it seems just assuming EVs are a panacea is just as short sighted as any luddite

What's the range on a golf cart and what is the average speed?

EVs are an alternative and can never replace a combustion engine.

The one I had went around 20 mph and I plugged it in once a week whether it needed a charge or not. I think the speed was as fast as it was due to the bigger offroad tires.
I used it everyday to run around the property but I couldnt give you a miles per charge.
And talk about Torque!!! This thing would climb hills that were damn near vertical!!

Forum List

Back