Shoshone National Forest

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Samson, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Samson

Samson Póg Mo Thóin Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    [​IMG]

I camped two nights outside Yellowstone in the Shoshone Nat Forest last month.

The first night was at The Pinnicles:

[​IMG]

This is pretty much the view from my camp, except the lake still had ice on it

The second night was at Elk Fork:

[​IMG]

This was easy to enjoy because we were not aware of the recent, relatively close, Grizzly Attack
    I cannot believe they shot the bear for being bearish after awakening from being trapped tranquilized.

2. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,477
    Just beautiful Samson.

And yes, they should be protecting those Grizzlies. Grizzlies for whatever reason don't seem to overpopulate even though they really don't have any natural enemies. The one natural enemy of the black bear, however, is the Grizzlie, and without the presence of that enemy, the black bear overpopulates very quickly. Which has become a serious problem in our area and other places where the Grizzley population has been completely killed off.

3. Samson

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210

Well, if you read the article, the Grizzly in question had been trapped and released, ironically, so that research could be done on Grizzlies, for, I presume, the benefit of the species. Ridiculous. Leave them ALONE.

Anyway, we camped on the southern end of Yellowstone/Grand Tetons at Brooks Lake, caught trout for dinner, then had a liesurely morning breaking camp before setting off to see Old Faithful, driving arounf Yellowstone Lake, then camping on the eastern edge outside of the park.

My advise to anyone going to Yellowstone is to camp in the Shoshone Nat Forest. First advantage to this is it is FREE for up to 16 days in a "Dispersed" area. Of course, you'll need to dig your own latrine, and bring in your own water, but I think this is worth not having to camp next to some hooplehead who's running his generator all freakin' day, and who leaves his dog yapping all day in camp.

So, pitch a nice tent, equip it, and use it as a base camp into Yellowstone, where the camping is Filled to the BRIM with hoopleheads...SHOULDER to SHOULDER.

4. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,973
    i am glad we only have the small black bears here

and we still marvel at the damage they can cause...nothing like building a 'bear proof' enclosure for trash and watching the first bear that comes to it...push it over and bust it apart

5. Samson

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210

Bear "Resistant"

Nobody up here claims to have built a Bear "Proof" container.

6. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492
    Bear Proof:

[​IMG]

It like to see a bear get my mufucking PB&J sammich now!