Longs Peak

Samson

Póg Mo Thóin
Dec 3, 2009
A Higher Plain
During July and August, if the weather cooperates I climb Longs Peak's different trails. Today I wanted to break in some new equipment, including some Danner Pronghorn Boots that I hadn't worn hiking before.

10" cuffs were GREAT!! Not sure how I ever lived without them. Probably lucky I didn't break an ankle wearing New Balance "Hiking Shoes."

Also I picked up a pair of Trekking Poles a Wal-Mart for $20. I was worried they might be junk, but the only problem I had was wearing the tip off my pole. Happily they are replaceable. Anyway they are FANTASTIC!!! I encourage anyone to get these. If anyone pays the $90+ bucks they cost in hiking equipment specialty stores, tell me why they are worth the $70 premium over the collapseable aluminum poles at Wal-Mart.

Finally, I got the Hydration Backpack at Wal-Mart for something like $25. Worked perfectly.

So, I timed my hike: 3 hours, and made it 4.4 miles. Then I walked, and jogged back. I love jogging downhill past 20-somethings that say, "dude, we better pick it up, that old dude just passed us."

tell me why they are worth the $70 premium over the collapseable aluminum poles at Wal-Mart.

the weight...the cheap ones weigh more....and are made in china

This may be a good reason if you don't have much upper-body strength (i.e. females). But for me the difference would need to be quite significant to notice.

Friday, July 16th

On the way I heard someone had fallen to their death, and the summit was closed, but I continued on anyway.

I crawled over the body.

I have pics if any of you are interested (no NOT of the gore, but of the rescue/recovery helicopter)

post the pics i would love to see them...you crawled over the body...we can discuss that later...

son took a 33 ft whip...his belayer was not use to the grigri he was using and let son fall.. when belayer realized his error he grabbed the rope with his hand....and then realized the grigri was the way to go...son's foot hit the ground...but that was all...big messy scene as other climbers jumped the belayer...who happens to be son's best friend and room mate...son defended his belayer....but said he needs some work on technique...

i worry everyday when he is on the rock...i have made him promise not to ice climb....so far he has not.
so far

so how long did it take so forth and so on...details man...life is in the details

congrads on making it up and back down....not an easy feat as proven by the dead hiker

Yeah, thanks....I'm not gonna do it again anytime soon

did you do this alone?

and why did you crawl over the body? were you joking about that?

Yes I was alone, and no, I'm not joking about the body.

I continued hiking after taking the pics of the rescue team landing, and heard the team over a pile of rocks chatting away. As I approached them I said, "Sorry you guys have had such a bad day." They replied that it was OK, and that since I'd hiked this far, I could go ahead as long as I, "didn't mind the blood and gore."

I told them I'd be REALLY CAREFUL, as I made my way passed them. Then I realised I was in the middle of what appeared to be a 10 ft diameter circle of spatterings, and I was climbing over a large green plasic bag when one said, "um......don't touch the body."

and dont kid me...i know you have pics of the body...dont you

No, but I did take a pic of the recovery helicopter removing it:

ResuceHelicopterwithremainspicfr-1.jpg

Last edited:
interesting.....this is a big mtn biking area....a friend of mine who is a doctor...told me that most mtn bikers even with full suspension will end up with e.d. as in erectile problems....due to the blood vessels bursting etc...when you ride the old bike...

just a factoid there my sweet

interesting.....this is a big mtn biking area....a friend of mine who is a doctor...told me that most mtn bikers even with full suspension will end up with e.d. as in erectile problems....due to the blood vessels bursting etc...when you ride the old bike...

Thanks.:confused:

Why was your friend telling you about this?:eusa_eh:

Anyway, I haven't ridden much in a while.

***Leaving it to you to interpret that......***:tongue:

the doctor dude, his son was on da mans little league team....so we had a lot of time to talk....i dont remember how the subject came up...

it is pouring the rain here...has most of the weekend...breaking the drought....its been odd weather this year

During July and August, if the weather cooperates I climb Longs Peak's different trails. Today I wanted to break in some new equipment, including some Danner Pronghorn Boots that I hadn't worn hiking before.

10" cuffs were GREAT!! Not sure how I ever lived without them. Probably lucky I didn't break an ankle wearing New Balance "Hiking Shoes."

Also I picked up a pair of Trekking Poles a Wal-Mart for $20. I was worried they might be junk, but the only problem I had was wearing the tip off my pole. Happily they are replaceable. Anyway they are FANTASTIC!!! I encourage anyone to get these. If anyone pays the $90+ bucks they cost in hiking equipment specialty stores, tell me why they are worth the $70 premium over the collapseable aluminum poles at Wal-Mart.

Finally, I got the Hydration Backpack at Wal-Mart for something like $25. Worked perfectly.

So, I timed my hike: 3 hours, and made it 4.4 miles. Then I walked, and jogged back. I love jogging downhill past 20-somethings that say, "dude, we better pick it up, that old dude just passed us."

I will summit Longs peak next July. Wanna go ?

Thanks for sharing, bones!

I don't know why we don't all use immense seats on bikes. It's so much more comfortable.

Forum List

Back