Shortwave

P F Tinmore

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Shortwave is a different world. Domestic programs include news, commentary, call in, and religious. All conservative Christian based. The churches represented are not 501C3 so there is no restriction on political commentary.

Foreign stations include Australia, China, Cuba, and many more.

What about VOA? Any time I was stationed in Germany I listened to VOA. They broadcast programs to all the Communist countries.

Most shortwave broadcast stations that remain are owned by religious groups because commercial owners finally figured out there's no money to be made at it. Governments, too, have largely abandoned it especially governments who found that their program content was undermining respect for their own nation. Easier to shut them down entirely than to try to weed out the enemies within.

Most shortwave broadcast stations that remain are owned by religious groups because commercial owners finally figured out there's no money to be made at it. Governments, too, have largely abandoned it especially governments who found that their program content was undermining respect for their own nation. Easier to shut them down entirely than to try to weed out the enemies within.
Indeed, corporate media they are not.

There are still many foreign stations usually government owned.

In high school, I built one of these from a kit. I had such a blast. I remember QSL cards.

heatkit.jpg

In high school, I built one of these from a kit. I had such a blast. I remember QSL cards.

View attachment 63638
Occasionally I'll turn on my shortwave and listen to AFN from Munich or AFKN from Seoul. Brings back memories.
Myself and two of my high school friends built this same kit. We each sent them to a local electronics store to have them bench tested. Only mine came back perfecto. :)

Yeah, I can still smell the hot solder. I remember having to twist wires precisely so many turns per inch. I used to skip school to work on that thing LOL.

I have a couple of them, I think both Grundigs. But hasn't the internet put a hurt on it? I keep them around for AM & FM in the shop the zombie apocalypse but you can get much clearer sound from a radio app.

Forum List

Back