Shock Politics ala Dean, AI, Churchill

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Many links. I like the :rolleyes: take on dealing with these idiots. Perhaps mrsx could see a point to this? Nah! :D

http://www.opinionjournal.com/best/?id=110006807

BY JAMES TARANTO
Friday, June 10, 2005 4:19 p.m. EDT

Karen Finley Liberals
Abe Foxman of the Anti-Defamation League is outraged over a comment Rep. Charles Rangel made the other day, the New York Daily News's Lloyd Grove reports:

The Iraq war "is the biggest fraud ever committed on the people of this country. . . . This is just as bad as the 6 million Jews being killed," the 74-year-old Harlem Democrat insisted during a Monday radio appearance on the WWRL-AM morning show with Steve Malzberg and Karen Hunter. "The whole world knew and they were quiet about it because it wasn't their ox being gored."​

When interviewer Malzberg challenged Rangel's analogy, the congressman replied: "I am saying that people's silence when they know things terrible are happening is the same thing as the Holocaust." . . .

Foxman retorted: "It is so outrageous that I think he owes an apology not only to the families of the victims of the Shoah, but he also owes an apology to the soldiers who are fighting for freedom. . . ."​

It's good that there are people like Foxman around who are paid to remind us that such comparisons are outrageous. For our part, we can barely muster the energy to roll our eyes. We have simply become desensitized to exorbitant liberal-left rhetoric. Bush = Hitler! Little Eichmanns! Guantanamo is a Gulag! By now what can one offer in response but a weary "whatever"?

This is a problem not only for those who resist the trivialization of evil but also for the liberal left itself. Shock can be a useful rhetorical device, but only if used sparingly--for the listener's capacity for shock quickly diminishes. That's why Republicans see Howard Dean as a laughingstock rather than a threat. :laugh:

Hearing about the Rangel comment, and looking back on the past few years of left-liberal rhetoric, got us to thinking about one of the first stories we covered in our journalist career: the controversy, during the administration of President Bush's father, over the National Endowment for the Arts. Back then the NEA gave lots of grants to "avant-garde artists" whose idiom was shock and whose politics were left-wing. Perhaps the best known was "performance artist" Karen Finley.

In July 1990 we attended a performance of Finley's one-woman show "We Keep Our Victims Ready," the title of which was an allusion to the Holocaust and meant to draw a parallel between America and Nazi Germany. Mimicking the cadences of a hellfire-and-brimstone preacher, Finely delivered a series of tirades consisting of standard-issue left-liberal politics laced with obscene language and gross imagery. The crowd loved it, giving her a standing ovation. We found it tedious.

The whole NEA kerfuffle, though an amusing story for a young journalist to cover, felt like something of a sideshow. But in recent years--especially since George W. Bush became president--Karen Finley-style shock rhetoric has become a dominant mode of expression on the political left, among politicians like Rangel and Dean as well as cultural figures like Michael Moore and Ward Churchill and even once-serious groups like Amnesty International.

Indeed, on "Fox News Sunday" AI's William Schulz expressly said his group employed the "gulag" calumny in order to grab attention:

Chris Wallace: Is it possible, sir, that by excessive rhetoric or by your political links, that you have hurt, not helped, your cause?

Schulz: Chris, I don't think I'd be on this station, on this program today with you if Amnesty hadn't said what it said and President Bush and his colleagues haven't responded as they did. If I had come to you two weeks ago and said, "Chris, I'd like to go on Fox with you just to talk about U.S. detention policies at Guantanamo and elsewhere," I suspect you wouldn't have given me an invitation.​

Karen Finley, by the way, is still around, blogging at HuffingtonPost.com. And she sounds exactly like a left-wing Democrat of the early 21st century:

Why did our President persist, to find the man and the weapons of mass destruction? Becasue [sic], George W is the man with the weapons of mass destruction. George W is identifying himself so to speak, he is not speaking about Sadaam Hussein, he is projecting. We can use his system of projection with his compulsive usage of evil doer to apply to his own war crimes. This is George speak. He is speaking about himself.​

One peculiar aspect of all this is that the defenders of left-wing shock artists are themselves so easily shocked. When Karen Finley performed unnatural acts with root vegetables onstage, we were told this was an exercise of her constitutional rights. But the same people professed horror when Anita Hill alleged that Clarence Thomas had made ribald remarks in the 1980s. When Ward Churchill called 9/11 victims "little Eichmanns," he was exercising his academic freedom, but when John Bolton called Kim Jong Il a tyrant it was outrageously undiplomatic. Urinating on a crucifix is art (Andres Serrano's "Piss Christ"), but "mishandling" a Koran is a crime against humanity. And so on.

A good counterargument is that Finley, Churchill and Serrano, although they are or were government supplicants, have never held positions of actual responsibility, and those who do hold such positions are rightly held to a higher standard. After all, the things they say actually matter.

That's fair enough--but the embrace of shock rhetoric by prominent Democratic politicians suggests that many in America's minority party no longer see themselves as responsible political actors.

Forum List

Back