Shipwreck in Western Kentucky

Your own link says it is not a shipwreck, moron.
No fuel tank ruptures or major structural damage reported, and even though the ship is stationary now, it is capable of moving.

I see no words that say it was not a shipwreck. Just because it is capable of moving doesn't mean there wasn't a wreck. Imbecile.

This will have a devastating effect on those who use that bridge every day. Not to mention the economy of the area, as LBL is where a lot of our campgrounds are located.

Daveman hasn't weighed in. His internet may be down because of this. it has been down in several places all day due to this wreck.

No fuel tank ruptures or major structural damage reported, and even though the ship is stationary now, it is capable of moving.

I see no words that say it was not a shipwreck. Just because it is capable of moving doesn't mean there wasn't a wreck. Imbecile.

Look at the picture I posted, imbecette.

The ship is pristine, it's the bridge that's a wreck.

Your thread would have been correct if you titled it "Bridgewreck in Western Kentucky".

Your thread would have been correct if you titled it "Bridgewreck in Western Kentucky".

The ship cannot be 'pristine' with thousands of pounds of steel and asphalt lying over its bow.

ship-crashes-ky-bridge-235x178.jpg

I posted one picture earlier of the ship going through at another time with good clearance. Try to keep up.

Last edited:
Haha, this shipwreck thing reminded me of something that happened way back in high school.

Me and a buddy were out one night trying to pick up girls and we happened upon a group of four gals that looked like they were trying to get picked up.
So we approach them, and my buddy says, "Hello Dreamboat". Well, the least attractive gal of the group replies, "Hi, Captain". Now, my friend ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer, and he wasn't interested in her, so he answers, "I wasn't talking to you, Shipwreck."
I think she slapped him so hard his firstborn felt it 4 years later.

The ship cannot be 'pristine' with thousands of pounds of steel and asphalt lying over its bow.

Pull the scrap off with a Manitowoc, and it will be on it's way in hours. It may need a few gallons of paint on it's next heavy check, but that's all.

Considering that all ships need painting every year, and yes, that ship is pristine.

It really sucks that KY builds such cheap bridges, but that's the way it goes.

I posted one picture earlier of the ship going through at another time with good clearance. Try to keep up.

It is a cow catcher. Lots of trains have them.

ummm ... maybe it is a manatee catcher...

Haha, this shipwreck thing reminded me of something that happened way back in high school.

Me and a buddy were out one night trying to pick up girls and we happened upon a group of four gals that looked like they were trying to get picked up.
So we approach them, and my buddy says, "Hello Dreamboat". Well, the least attractive gal of the group replies, "Hi, Captain". Now, my friend ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer, and he wasn't interested in her, so he answers, "I wasn't talking to you, Shipwreck."
I think she slapped him so hard his firstborn felt it 4 years later.

Good for her!

One of the weirder images of the St. Helens explosion is a bunch of houses coming down the Toutle River and taking out a bridge.

YOu can say that bridge was a home wrecker.

yep right here in western kentucky. We had a shipwreck. Took out two spans of a bridge known as the eggner's ferry bridge. An important bridge in this area. This puppy was already past daveman and headed in my direction!

Here's the slideshow:
Ttp://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/local/photo-gallery-eggners-ferry-bridge-collapse--138200619.html?gallery=y&img=1&c=y

ooopsie!

The captain's gonna be in trouble I think. If you look at the picture of the ship passing through safely, she's got either enough cargo or ballast to give her a much deeper draft. You look at the accident pics, and she's riding like she's empty as a bath tub toy, which is what I was thinking when I saw it the first time. She's drawing what? 5 feet of water? When the earlier pick showed she must have been drawing at least 10-12. I'm not sure, but I know it's a huge difference. At the very least, they should have flooded the ballast tanks if they knew, at flood stage (which the captain should also have been aware) you gotta draw deeper.

The captain's gonna be in trouble I think. If you look at the picture of the ship passing through safely, she's got either enough cargo or ballast to give her a much deeper draft. You look at the accident pics, and she's riding like she's empty as a bath tub toy, which is what I was thinking when I saw it the first time. She's drawing what? 5 feet of water? When the earlier pick showed she must have been drawing at least 10-12. I'm not sure, but I know it's a huge difference. At the very least, they should have flooded the ballast tanks if they knew, at flood stage (which the captain should also have been aware) you gotta draw deeper.

At this point we can only guess why he didn't take more precautions. But my guess is that most people don't realize that our rivers here can be swollen in January. They think of swollen rivers with the spring rains. But there are a variety of factors, not just rainfall, that determine how high the water is going to be.

At this point we can only guess why he didn't take more precautions. But my guess is that most people don't realize that our rivers here can be swollen in January. They think of swollen rivers with the spring rains. But there are a variety of factors, not just rainfall, that determine how high the water is going to be.

Unfortunately, I am not a Scottish Braveheart Warrior. Alas, I am only a pig sunning himself in a lawn chair somewhere in the tropics.

Gee, Daddy, I built a bridge. Can I sell it to Kentucky?

Erector-Set.jpg

"If the bridge is part of a federal stimulus to nowhere..well, yes son."

The bridge is over the Tennessee River. It leads to Land Between the Lakes, a federal recreation area. But more than that it is used by people who commute from one county to another to work. Those people will now be driving an extra 2 - 3 hours a day to get around this mess.

LBL is a recreation area that is very important to this area's economy and has been for several years now. The bridges over the TN and Cumberland rivers are important to the tourism industry not just because of the campgrounds in LBL. What most people don't know is that for 50 years since the feds took that land away from families who had owned it for years to make a 'recreation area' and wildlife preserve, they agreed not to develop it commercially. So, if campers want to eat out and not cook in their camps they have to cross one or the other of those bridges to get to a restaurant and there are some decent ones in the area. The ones across the Cumberland would be OK, but the ones which people would get to by crossing this particular bridge may lose a fair amount of business this summer.

Land Between The Lakes

There actually used to be a ferry there, thus the name Eggner's Ferry Bridge. Ferries still operated on the Mississippi down around Dyersburg TN until just recently. I am wondering if they might not just open a ferry there until the bridge is repaired or replaced. It was slated to be replaced, but the work had not yet begun. And if there was a start date already chosen, I am not aware of it.

I don't know if the bridge is state or federally owned. But the two highway routes it shares are US 68 and State 80.

The legend lives on from from Western Kentucky on down
Of the big bridge they call Eggner's Ferry
The river, it is said, never gives up for dead
When the skies of January turn gloomy...

Forum List

Back