Shipwreck in Western Kentucky

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
Yep right here in Western Kentucky. We had a shipwreck. Took out two spans of a bridge known as the Eggner's Ferry Bridge. An important bridge in this area. This puppy was already past Daveman and headed in my direction!

Here's the slideshow:
ttp://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/local/Photo-Gallery-Eggners-Ferry-Bridge-collapse--138200619.html?gallery=y&img=1&c=y

Last edited:
I guess the captain didn't understand about river stages.

Good thing there weren't cars on that bridge.

Yeah, it happened at night, and fortunately, the cars that came along saw that the sections were missing and were able to stop in time. They have checked the water for signs that cars went in, but they most likely would have hit the ship at least on one side.

This is one of the bridges that goes into Land Between the Lakes. It crosses the Tennessee River which in its swollen state above the dam in Kentucky Lake. I live on the lake to the south of where this happened.

At first, the news reports said it had not been confirmed that the rockets the ship is carrying were actually intended for NASA, but I think that has been verified now. At least that's what they are telling us!

Yeah, it happened at night, and fortunately, the cars that came along saw that the sections were missing and were able to stop in time. They have checked the water for signs that cars went in, but they most likely would have hit the ship at least on one side.

This is one of the bridges that goes into Land Between the Lakes. It crosses the Tennessee River which in its swollen state above the dam in Kentucky Lake. I live on the lake to the south of where this happened.

At first, the news reports said it had not been confirmed that the rockets the ship is carrying were actually intended for NASA, but I think that has been verified now. At least that's what they are telling us!

Could you imagine driving along and coming to that scene??? :eek:

That is a big fear of mine when crossing big bridges.

What a huge mess.

Holy crap, that is one sturdy ship.

Yeah, with all that steel and asphalt lying on it. It has been through here and under that bridge before. Safely. Don't know what happened. The captain must have just not realized what stage the river was. That's all I can think.

The Tennessee River is a very entertaining river. It is a commercial river in addition to being a recreational lake. I see tugboats and barges, paddle wheelers, you name it. I love the river. There are two kinds of people in the world. River people, and everybody else!

What a huge mess.

That one picture where the road was cut off is a real nightmare. Sheesh.

Here is a pic someone posted on Facebook of the same ship going safely under the bridge at an earlier time. Look at the smaller boats in front of it! Those would be just your usual run abouts!

ship.jpg

What a huge mess.

Yeah. My daughter was at Murray State University when someone torched an 8 story dorm there. She used to have to cross this bridge to go from Nashville where we lived at the time to school. After seeing people jumping out of that burning building, she developed a fear of heights and this particular bridge was a problem for her. And has been ever since. I sent her an email with the story, but she hasn't answered yet.

Last edited:

What a huge mess.

No, I really can't. It was by the grace of God that no one drove off it.

What a huge mess.

Yeah. My daughter was at Murray State University when someone torched an 8 story dorm there. She used to have to cross this bridge to go from Nashville where we lived at the time to school. After seeing people jumping out of that burning building, she developed a fear of heights and this particular bridge was a problem for her. And has been ever since. I sent her an email with the story, but she hasn't answered yet.

Poor thing.

My brother will probably fly over it this weekend. If I didn't have the lung problem, I'd ask to go. But I don't think I can fly in a non pressurized plane without getting into trouble.

Yeah, with all that steel and asphalt lying on it. It has been through here and under that bridge before. Safely. Don't know what happened. The captain must have just not realized what stage the river was. That's all I can think.

The Tennessee River is a very entertaining river. It is a commercial river in addition to being a recreational lake. I see tugboats and barges, paddle wheelers, you name it. I love the river. There are two kinds of people in the world. River people, and everybody else!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzbLYqxX-Ss]LOTR The Return of the King - Extended Edition - The Finding of the Ring Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzbLYqxX-Ss]LOTR The Return of the King - Extended Edition - The Finding of the Ring Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

LOL. There is a legend that there is a cave somewhere in the river I grew up on, which is Clark's River, that has treasure in it dating back to Civil War times.

Idiot: Rat in the Hat
Vote for the sleazy Rat
Member #23063

Forum List

Back