Share a Thanksgiving recipe!

Today we're having a potluck..my dish is MAC & CHEESE!

Nom nom nom:

Classic Macaroni and Cheese Recipe - CHOW.com

Well thanks. That's not exactly a Thanksgiving recipe, but okay. :)

It is for some people. Mac & cheese and collard greens are traditional thanksgiving side dishes for one of my really good black friends. I don't know if it's a southern thing or a black thing, but she's the one who asked me to make it. She brought collard greens.

I made a cornbread stuffing one year too. It had fried sage leaves in it. It was pretty good. Maybe I'll try to hunt that one down later on. :)

My aunt used to make super spicy cornbread stuffing...

I mix up cornbread and regular stuffing MIXES and then add sauteed onion, celery and broth (homemade broth) to them. It's yummy.

I have also found that sourdough makes INCREDIBLE stuffing. I used some stale homemade sourdough to make a stuffing casserole last year...it was some of the best stuff I've ever made. Cubed sourdough, toasted a little and cubed....marjoram, salt, pepper, onions and celery and homemade chicken broth. It was to die for. I didn't have any sage, my mom always puts sage in too...but I didn't have any, and I discovered that it's the MARJORAM that actually makes it taste like stuffing. Who knew...

• Stuffed Cabbage Rolls (side dish)
  • Cook cabbage in boiling water only until leaves fall off head. Reserve 14-16 large leaves for rolls and set aside remaining cabbage.i
    • In a bowl, combine rice, beef, onion, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and 1/4 cup soup. Put 2 to 3 tablespoons meat mixture on each cabbage leaf. Fold in sides, then roll up leaves to completely enclose meat.
    • Line a Dutch oven with leftover cabbage leaves. Combine remaining soup and water; pour over cabbage. Stack cabbage rolls on top of sauce. Cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer on low for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until rolls are tender.
    • Remove rolls and cabbage. If desired, sauce may be thickened by boiling over high heat. Spoon
    • sauce over rolls and cabbage and serve immediately.

I've actually made those rolls, and they are good. The tomato soup makes the sauce taste the right way.

guno you should put the whole recipe on there, with the amounts. I actually have a cabbage in my fridge..I might make these tonight. I had the recipe myself but the last time I moved I left all my cookbooks and recipes in the high cupboard above the stove like an idiot.

guno you should put the whole recipe on there, with the amounts. I actually have a cabbage in my fridge..I might make these tonight. I had the recipe myself but the last time I moved I left all my cookbooks and recipes in the high cupboard above the stove like an idiot.

I will do later

I meant this weekend, not tonight. I'm not cooking anything tonight, I had a root canal yesterday. There will be no cooking.

One turkey, greased with olive oil and put into baking bag,,retrieve after 2.5 hours and eat..
Our menu is what is served at the Chinese rest.

I made a cornbread stuffing one year too. It had fried sage leaves in it. It was pretty good. Maybe I'll try to hunt that one down later on. :)

My aunt used to make super spicy cornbread stuffing...

I mix up cornbread and regular stuffing MIXES and then add sauteed onion, celery and broth (homemade broth) to them. It's yummy.

I have also found that sourdough makes INCREDIBLE stuffing. I used some stale homemade sourdough to make a stuffing casserole last year...it was some of the best stuff I've ever made. Cubed sourdough, toasted a little and cubed....marjoram, salt, pepper, onions and celery and homemade chicken broth. It was to die for. I didn't have any sage, my mom always puts sage in too...but I didn't have any, and I discovered that it's the MARJORAM that actually makes it taste like stuffing. Who knew...

I never noticed that marjoram had much of a taste, kind of like parsley or cilantro to me. Personally, I like the way the sage makes stuffing taste. :)

I never noticed it either..until I wanted to make stuffing and didn't have any sage.

That's when I realized that it's the marjoram that makes it taste like stuffing.

Maybe your marjoram is old? I think it's quite flavorful. It's not quite as pungent as sage..but it's close. It's a type of oregano.

The reason I used it is I read the spice list on stove top stuffing to see what besides sage and onion and celery is in there.

The reason I used it is I read the spice list on stove top stuffing to see what besides sage and onion and celery is in there.

Also, the celery gives it a lot of that stuffing flavor too.

I used to have an herb garden and I had fresh sage that I used all the time. It's much more flavorful when it's fresh. Also, the rubbed sage is very flavorful. I don't think I would skip that in my stuffing, but thanks for the tip! :)

Forum List

Back