Shamed in Edina for using food stamps

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Shamed in Edina for using food stamps | Star Tribune

To the irritated lady at the Cub Foods, I should have told you to your face that you were being presumptuous.

I know we looked like people you might think need EBT: a bit unkempt in sweatpants and T-shirts. If I’d had the guts to talk to you, I would have told you that I’d just had an emergency surgery and that my daughter came home from college five hours away to help for the weekend because my husband had scheduled surgery two days after mine. I haven’t been able to put on real clothes yet, and I can’t lift a bag of groceries.

I thought I could handle your disdain, since I am a professional working at a local corporation where I am surrounded every day by people who respect me and care about me. But it still made me feel a little dirty — unworthy — and I still went home and cried in the privacy of my shower so my family would not know I was hurt by you.

I am sorry I did not tell you all of this in person. What my daughter and I resolved is that we will never let my son (her brother) go to the store alone with his Electronic Benefits Transfer card and be subjected to this humiliation.

We all have our stories, and no one is any better than another. Everyone deserves the respect they want for themselves, even if they use an EBT card to pay for their groceries.

Maybe the lady in question was having a bad day, or maybe she personifies the joke; What do the letters in Edina stand for? Every Day I Need Attention.

Minnesota humor. We convulse ourselves.

I just thought this was a really good reminder that things aren't always as they appear.

Good thing it wasn't me that person did that to. I wouldn't be home crying in my shower. I'd be in jail for knocking the bitch's teeth out.

Whenever I'm the person behind another with coupons and EBT, I take a step back and give them room. I'm not presumptuous but patient.

But I admit, I often wonder if that person is one truly in need or simply scamming the system.

Yet I always give them the benefit of the doubt. Because I would rather err on the side of caution.

And I thank Jeebus every day that I can pay for my own groceries.

If I’d had the guts to talk with you, I would have told you about my disabled 28-year-old son living with us. We have never asked for public support for him.

But recently we have decided that it is our responsibility to introduce him to the programs that will have to support him when we are no longer here to care for him. We started small: He is eligible for food support, and he agreed to receive it to be able to feel that he is contributing his share to the food bill, since he is unable to work.
Perfectly reasonable given the circumstances.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzspsovNvII]Chapter Jackson - It's Free Swipe Yo EBT (Explicit) - YouTube[/ame]

I read the article ... was the mom using her son's EBT card? That's how it read to me. How can she use a card that isn't hers? Because he's disabled is her name also on it?

Forum List

Back