Votes: 5 45.5%
  • pay them for two weeks ($1600) and ask them to leave today

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • ask them to leave today and pay them nothing

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
manu1959 said:
One of my jr staff resigned today and offered to stay on two weeks

As long as the work can get done, ask them to leave and pay. Assuming they are going to competitor, no need for them to have more info.

If they're leaving on good terms, and not to work for a competitor, then allow them to stay on the two weeks...

If they're leaving on not so good terms, or for another competitor, ask them to leave effective immediately.

Severence pay depends on whether or not that's a standard with you...

manu1959 said:
One of my jr staff resigned today and offered to stay on two weeks

I would pay and let go sooner than later. Unless you feel this person is no threat to your business if they go to the competition.

I voted to let them go now, unless you are desparate for work to get done on a tight deadline. Sometimes lame ducks can have a negative effect on other employees.

manu1959 said:
she bought a condo she can't afford and convinced someone to give her more money than she is worth

In that case, "toodles"...and no sev. pay, either...

she is leaving on good terms....she is going to a competitor,

i recommended she leave asap, didn't want the negative energy around, and give her the 1600 she would have got if she stayed.....seemed like the fair thing.....essentially she would get a two week paid vacation for quitting....

i was overruled by the sr partner no severance.....

so i told her she could stay......

couldn't live with myself if i put someone on the street without a paycheck even if they did quit.

manu1959 said:

i recommended she leave asap, didn't want the negative energy around, and give her the 1600 she would have got if she stayed.....seemed like the fair thing.....essentially she would get a two week paid vacation for quitting....

couldn't live with myself if i put someone on the street without a paycheck even if they did quit.
:rock: good man

dilloduck said:

thanks..........

2 weeks (1600) and asap is better

the "paid vacation" (severance) sends a good message to the remaining staff and is not insulting to the person that quit....

get out is bad karama

plus the asap departure does not give 2 weeks for her to steal stuff or recruit or spread dissent....

letting her stay .... will cost more as you get to cover health care etc...longer, plus in this case as her two weeks spans the end of the month we get to pick up the full cost of feb helath care but we get no revenue as she won't be here....

manu1959 said:

Seems to me you made the only choice you could under the circumstances. I would have said let her work the 2 weeks for her pay, but you DO vring up a good point about the negative energy.

From her perspective, she has to do what she thinks is best for her and unless she's made it personal, just accept it for what it is. All too often employers take it personally when someone wants to move up.

If she's not worth pay to you/your company in your opinion, don't blame her for going where someone believes she is.

GunnyL said:
Seems to me you made the only choice you could under the circumstances. I would have said let her work the 2 weeks for her pay, but you DO vring up a good point about the negative energy.

From her perspective, she has to do what she thinks is best for her and unless she's made it personal, just accept it for what it is. All too often employers take it personally when someone wants to move up.

If she's not worth pay to you/your company in your opinion, don't blame her for going where someone believes she is.

i train my staff to leave.....i take her move up at another company as a compliment to the training we gave her......some stay some go.....i have extreamly high standards that you must meet before i will promote you in my organization....i wrote her a letter of recomendation and left the door open for her if it doesn't work out....

Does California state law dictate what you should do? Some states will have "state laws" that take that decision out of your hands.

I have a problem with someone leaving "me" and going to a competitor. If she gave two week notice, and is a good employee, I might be tempted to split the difference. Leave now but pay one week.

manu1959 said:
i train my staff to leave.....i take her move up at another company as a compliment to the training we gave her......some stay some go.....i have extreamly high standards that you must meet before i will promote you in my organization....i wrote her a letter of recomendation and left the door open for her if it doesn't work out....
Man, I want to work for you!

Big demand for nicely designed double-wides here in Ga. ya know.
Lets do lunch! :teeth:

manu1959 said:

I'm sorry manu.... but this just makes me go, "huh"?

Do you do the same thing with everything? Do you buy a car that needs repairs, fix it up, and then send it down the road to someone else, and then buy another car that needs more repairs and start over?

What you're saying doesn't make much sense Bud. :scratch:

Pale Rider said:

Do you do the same thing with everything? Do you buy a car that needs repairs, fix it up, and then send it down the road to someone else, and then buy another car that needs more repairs and start over?

sorry i care about the people i work with ..... if you have ever coached or taught it would make sense to you

manu1959 said:
sorry i care about the people i work with ..... if you have ever coached or taught it would make sense to you

Well, education doesn't come cheap. It just seems to me that you're investing in these people just to watch your investment walk out on you. Sounds like bad business to me. I'd throw a little incentive for "retention" in there if I was you.

And funny you should mention teaching... I've just applied for a teaching job. More later about that. I don't want to jinx it.

Pale Rider said:

Manu seems to be a fair and just employer...his turn over is probably low...and those who do leave probably come back through the 'open door' policy...bringing back the competitions modus operandi!

side note: Courtesy always rules...this person gave a two week notice...what happened to the old days when courtesy was the norm?

Forum List

Back