Sesame Street creates first Muppet with parent in jail

One who is being raised by their grandparents and visit their own parents in prison. This is a wonderful idea because it lets children know they are not alone - that other children have parents in jail too. Alot of children suffer stigmas - alienation from school mates who know their parents are in jail. This is a good idea, imo.

If it is okay for the Muppets to discuss it then it will be okay for them to discuss it too. Why? Because one of the Muppets parents went to jail! Now they feel a connection there and say hey! It is alright to talk about this! I'm feeling understood here!

-Jeri

Of course, but then again not all kids have parents or grandparents in jail, Jeri.

So basically what I get is that it tells kids that its okay to condone criminal behavior? I still love my dad, even after he picked my college funds dry, and even after he committed identity fraud against me last year, but that doesn't make what he did right. This is doing nothing but blurring the line between right and wrong for some of these kids. Heart might be in the right place, but, it is still misguided. Kids should learn the aspect of love and forgiveness from their parents, not from the TV set. I got it from reading the Bible.

I'm sorry. I am not trying to be difficult with the rest of you here but I see this from a different perspective. I did prison ministry to prisoners who had children and this is very difficult on young children when they are separated from the moms and dads.

Obviously others here don't see it that way. As for learning about forgiveness from their parents if they are in jail that is kind of difficult - someone has to be the adult in their life even it comes in the form of a muppet. As for bible reading? Most of my students had never read a bible and didn't have christian parents. Actually it might make children with loving parents at home more grateful for what they have too.

* USA has largest prison population in the world.

-Jeri

Did you really just write that? The adults in their life are those who are raising them ... their mothers (or fathers if the mother is in jail), grandparents, uncles, aunts, neighbors, clergerymen, etc. TV is a poor substitute for parents (whomever is parenting the child) doing their job.

Yes, Zoom. I did write that. You know what? Skip the idea on Muppets. Instead how about a series of childrens books addressing Mom is not here right now. Or dad is not here right now. A series that addresses the complex situation for a child with a parent or BOTH parents in jail.

That way it isn't related to Obama and everyone here will be able to call it a good idea without worry.

On that note, good night!

-Jeri

p.s. I didn't see the clip - I'm not watching vids right now - the idea seemed like an outreach to me. end of story.

Remember that story I posted recently about some batshit insane liberal saying that cuddly animal cartoon creatures reinforce gender roles, homophobia and racism? Apparently they want cartoon animals to have gay relationships with children. Yeah, like that happens in nature. Gay animals having babies..

Nobody should let their children watch that show..it's pure liberal propaganda..

It's really a shame what they have done to it

And the gay teletubbies too.

The Disney Channel is coming out with same-sex parents on their show 'Good Luck Charlie'.

Normalize everything and nothing is off limits, nothing is out of bounds. Kum-ba-ya.

Hey, as long as they don't show any mixed-race parents.

But once that happens, The Rapture is surely imminent.

Remember that story I posted recently about some batshit insane liberal saying that cuddly animal cartoon creatures reinforce gender roles, homophobia and racism? Apparently they want cartoon animals to have gay relationships with children. Yeah, like that happens in nature. Gay animals having babies..

There is no such thing as a gay animal. When human beings call an animal homosexual it is attributing human behavior to the animal that the animal does not have. No male animal looks for another male to butt fuck him.

The Disney Channel is coming out with same-sex parents on their show 'Good Luck Charlie'.

Normalize everything and nothing is off limits, nothing is out of bounds. Kum-ba-ya.

I think it's disgusting that you have these puppets parading around on screen in front of our children that, all the while, have peoples hands shoved up their bums...as if that's a normal thing.

There is no such thing as a gay animal. When human beings call an animal homosexual it is attributing human behavior to the animal that the animal does not have. No male animal looks for another male to butt fuck him.

Really? Have you asked them?

Sesame Street: Little Children, Big Challenges: Incarceration -- Sizzle Reel - YouTube

Source

Today's episode was brought to you by the letter 'C', as in the cell block that my Mother-in-law dwells in, and by the number 20.​

again, when you have a country with a Prison Industrial Complex that locks up 2 million people (when most other industrial Democracies lock up less than 100,000) and has an additional 7 million on parole or probation, the problem of people having parents or relatives in prison is something that is a reality to many communities.

You equate mix-race (opposite sex) relationships with same-sex relationships? I don't. Mixed-race is idiotic prejudice against blacks created by man; same-sex relationships are abnormal. Not intending to offend, just stating a fact. That Disney show is meant to entertain, not to impose their version of what is morally ok onto their audience. Yeah, yeah just don't watch and all.

Sesame Street is run by PBS that is in turn run exclusively by non-Christian liberals...usually heathens. The original aim of the show was to promote inner-city ghetto culture. Objectivity has never been high on the list at PBS.

That said, Sesame Street would do better to include anti-gang muppets. Since so many kids live on real Sesame Streets that house legions of druggie parents and "caregivers" with unregistered guns laying around(without triggerlocks)---an appearance by NRA's cartoon character Eddie Eagle would be of great help.

Grover has always been my favorite. He started out as a hippi who practiced civil disobedience:D

Although sesame street has always tackled the tough issues, divorce, death, sexual abuse, HIV, racism, single parents, adoption.

I'm honestly surprised they have never had a gay character.

^^^ The people who make Sesame Street happen these days may be against the homosexual life style and if they can't address it the way that they would want to without getting a backlash from everyone else on the planet, they won't address it at all until they are willing to deal with what happens these days to those who "go against the crowd".

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

Really? Have you asked them?

Actually, studies show that about 10% of animals engage in same sex intercourse. I thought everyone knew this. I thought it was general knowledge.

Homosexuality is quite common in the animal kingdom, especially among herding animals. Many animals solve conflicts by practicing same gender sex.....The most well-known homosexual animal is the dwarf chimpanzee, one of humanity's closes relatives. The entire species is bisexual......Lions are also homosexual. Male lions often band together with their brothers to lead the pride. To ensure loyalty, they strengthen the bonds by often having sex with each other.
http://www.news-medical.net/news/2006/10/23/20718.aspx

Last edited:
From the beginning, Sesame Street has been concerned with helping children adjust to modern life; it is set in an inner city neighborhood and features characters that reflect the idea of a community of people with varying color, religion, ethnic backgrounds, etc. It deals with the social problems and issues of kids around the world. Their sensitivity toward kids who have a parent in jail is admirable. Taking away the stigma is admirable. It is not the child's fault the parent is in jail, and the child should not have to suffer.

Forum List

Back