Sesame Street creates first Muppet with parent in jail

Shoey

Patriot
Sep 22, 2008
USA
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kDUdniEig38]Sesame Street: Little Children, Big Challenges: Incarceration -- Sizzle Reel - YouTube[/ame]

Source

Today's episode was brought to you by the letter 'C', as in the cell block that my Mother-in-law dwells in, and by the number 20.​

Now what three year old would know what the term "incarcerated" means? Can anyone tell me that?

One who is being raised by their grandparents and visit their own parents in prison. This is a wonderful idea because it lets children know they are not alone - that other children have parents in jail too. Alot of children suffer stigmas - alienation from school mates who know their parents are in jail. This is a good idea, imo.

If it is okay for the Muppets to discuss it then it will be okay for them to discuss it too. Why? Because one of the Muppets parents went to jail! Now they feel a connection there and say hey! It is alright to talk about this! I'm feeling understood here!

-Jeri

Doesn't surprise me..... that's the sort of thing this crazy Administration loves!!!

Next, will be the glorification of a puppet with a needle in its arm.

Sad times for Amerika.

Now what three year old would know what the term "incarcerated" means? Can anyone tell me that?

One who is being raised by their grandparents and visit their own parents in prison. This is a wonderful idea because it lets children know they are not alone - that other children have parents in jail too. Alot of children suffer stigmas - alienation from school mates who know their parents are in jail. This is a good idea, imo.

If it is okay for the Muppets to discuss it then it will be okay for them to discuss it too. Why? Because one of the Muppets parents went to jail! Now they feel a connection there and say hey! It is alright to talk about this! I'm feeling understood here!

-Jeri

I respectfully agree with your synopsis. While the US Congress has the power and authority to tax, US taxpayers should never be forced or coerced to fund PBS during one of the worst economic recessions since WWII.

Last edited:
Are they going to discuss what not to do to keep themselves from following in their parents foot steps?

-Jeri

I respectfully agree with your synopsis. While the US Congress has the power and authority to tax, US taxpayers should never be forced or coerced to fund PBS during one of the worst economic recessions since WWII.

I agree with you too. Sesame street made it clear they didn't want anything free from the govt. Big Bird has a job. He declined on any freebies.

As to PBS - no we don't need to fund PBS or any other public tv, radio, whatever.. I agree with you.

Are they going to discuss what not to do to keep themselves from following in their parents foot steps?

Absolutely, I would use it as a tool to teach forgiveness, that good people make mistakes and with rehabilitation - learning new behaviors their parents can begin a new life when they return home.

The ideas are endless so long as they bring healing, education, teach compassion, a feeling of being accepted. Otherwise it should not be considered. Whatever would be helpful to children and would teach other children not to ever ridicule a child whose parents are in jail.

-Jeri

Of course, but then again not all kids have parents or grandparents in jail, Jeri.

So basically what I get is that it tells kids that its okay to condone criminal behavior? I still love my dad, even after he picked my college funds dry, and even after he committed identity fraud against me last year, but that doesn't make what he did right. This is doing nothing but blurring the line between right and wrong for some of these kids. Heart might be in the right place, but, it is still misguided. Kids should learn the aspect of love and forgiveness from their parents, not from the TV set. I got it from reading the Bible.

Last edited:
Are they going to have a Muppet that gets a free cell phone next?

This is outrageous, normalizing aberrant behavior to children.

Doesn't surprise me..... that's the sort of thing this crazy Administration loves!!!

Next, will be the glorification of a puppet with a needle in its arm.

Sad times for Amerika.

Oh no!
Is Sesame St actually glorifying this parent in prison?
Are they portraying him as cool or something to aspire to?
That's disgraceful, I understand your disgust!

-Jeri

Of course, but then again not all kids have parents or grandparents in jail, Jeri.

So basically what I get is that it tells kids that its okay to condone criminal behavior? I still love my dad, even after he picked my college funds dry, and even after he committed identity fraud against me last year, but that doesn't make what he did right. This is doing nothing but blurring the line between right and wrong for some of these kids. Heart might be in the right place, but, it is still misguided. Kids should learn the aspect of love and forgiveness from their parents, not from the TV set. I got it from reading the Bible.

I'm sorry. I am not trying to be difficult with the rest of you here but I see this from a different perspective. I did prison ministry to prisoners who had children and this is very difficult on young children when they are separated from the moms and dads.

Obviously others here don't see it that way. As for learning about forgiveness from their parents if they are in jail that is kind of difficult - someone has to be the adult in their life even it comes in the form of a muppet. As for bible reading? Most of my students had never read a bible and didn't have christian parents. Actually it might make children with loving parents at home more grateful for what they have too.

* USA has largest prison population in the world.

-Jeri

-Jeri
I wouldn't call it a wonderful idea because its sad for a kid see their parent get taken off to jail, but I agree that there are kids in the world who can relate to this kind of clip.

God bless you and them always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. Has it been said why the parent is there?

Nobody should let their children watch that show..it's pure liberal propaganda..

It's really a shame what they have done to it

Forum List

Back