Service employees union uses threats, censorship to spike health care debate

May 23, 2009
Where is the transparency in demanding broadcast stations yank ads?

Infomercial Attacking Obama's Health Care Plan Backed by 'Swift Boat' Financer - Political News - FOXNews.com

"This documentary will educate people on what 'government-run health care' really means: stalling, waiting lists and rationing and withholding care because of red tape, politics, and bureaucratic foot-dragging."

The infomercial, Scott said, features sick patients from Canada and the United Kingdom forced into long waits for surgeries and forced to come to the U.S. for treatment.

"We'll continue sounding the alarm bell and won't rest until we're sure the freedoms and rights of patients' are protected," Scott said.

The infomercial has drawn strong opposition from SEIU. The union, which represents health care workers, claims more than 68,000 petitions have been signed urging NBC to pull the ad, scheduled to air in the Washington, D.C., market on Sunday after "Meet the Press."

"NBC needs to know that if they run this fake 'documentary' ... and it contains any falsehoods, which is likely, given his track record, they could face an FCC violation and big fines," SEIU said in a post on the group's Web site.

• Banned
The statist does not want to debate the opposition, just shut them up.

Will Barack Obama pull the FCC around by its crank like he did the Justice Department in getting the charges dropped against the Black Panthers in Philly?

Is this the change people voted for? A big fist to shut up detractors and let thugs who helped get you elected walk free?

• Banned
Free speech is a bitch. Free people can make up their own minds what the truth is.

What are you afraid of?

• Banned
Once people understand this is government run healthcare, they will want nothing to do with it.

You know that, don't you?

It's your worst nightmare.

Where is the transparency in demanding broadcast stations yank ads?

Infomercial Attacking Obama's Health Care Plan Backed by 'Swift Boat' Financer - Political News - FOXNews.com

"This documentary will educate people on what 'government-run health care' really means: stalling, waiting lists and rationing and withholding care because of red tape, politics, and bureaucratic foot-dragging."

The infomercial, Scott said, features sick patients from Canada and the United Kingdom forced into long waits for surgeries and forced to come to the U.S. for treatment.

"We'll continue sounding the alarm bell and won't rest until we're sure the freedoms and rights of patients' are protected," Scott said.

The infomercial has drawn strong opposition from SEIU. The union, which represents health care workers, claims more than 68,000 petitions have been signed urging NBC to pull the ad, scheduled to air in the Washington, D.C., market on Sunday after "Meet the Press."

"NBC needs to know that if they run this fake 'documentary' ... and it contains any falsehoods, which is likely, given his track record, they could face an FCC violation and big fines," SEIU said in a post on the group's Web site.

The First Amendment only restricts the ability of government to restrict speech, and in this case, the government isn't involved. The SEIU is not a governmental organization, so can badger, threaten, plead, etc. all that it wants.

If the FCC should get involved, we can see what form this intervention takes, but there are courts to provide oversight.

Once people understand this is government run healthcare, they will want nothing to do with it.

No actually I don't know that.

I currently enjoy socialized medicine thanks to the Veterans' Administration.

It's wonderful.

I had private HC coverage and used private HC facilities for two score years.

This socialized medical treatment I'm getting right now is far superior.

Oh, and incidently?

I'm hardly the only person on this board enjoying the benefits of socialized medicine, am I?

I suspect that Gunny and Retired Gunny and I want to thank you guys for providing us with this wonderful socialized health care system we're covered by, folks.

We're sorry you guys have to sweat that capitalistic HC crises, but we don't.

It's wonderful.

Oh, and incidently?

I'm hardly the only person on this board enjoying the benefits of socialized medicine, am I?

I suspect that Gunny and Retired Gunny and I want to thank you guys for providing us with this wonderful socialized health care system we're covered by, folks.

are you absolutely certain that the us government can do this on the same level for 350 million people and 30 million illegals with more coming??? how ya gonna pay for it doyathink????

It's wonderful.

Oh, and incidently?

are you absolutely certain that the us government can do this on the same level for 350 million people and 30 million illegals with more coming??? how ya gonna pay for it doyathink????

Actually I have written long posts about the problems facing us in HC.

As I've said often, I see no good solution, not socialized medicine, not what we have now, not single payer, either.

The problems we are facing (aside from our own inefficiences which we can solve) are beyond our ability to solve.

We are getting older democgraphically, and the cost of more technologically advanced medicine continues to rise in price faster than most other things.

But my post was responding to the kneejerking assummption that socialized medicine was necessaryly inferior medicine.

I have socialized medicine and it is superior to the capitalist system I had.

Now if everyone had that benefit, I'm inclined to think that the system wouldn't be so good for everyone else as it is for me, right now.

Union strength is not where it could be, and though it can't compare with workers' ownership (see the work of Karl Ove Moene for insight on that), the increased power of unions is obviously far preferable to the increased power of the financial class. As was aptly put to me, "there is insufficient attention to the 'efficient bargain' (where workers are able to secure a greater share of economic rents by increasing wages and employment levels)."

Marxism in action folks..

I was hoping to ignore the typical asinine economic remarks, but that one really is too much. :rofl:

It's wonderful.

Oh, and incidently?

That's exactly right. These drones can go outside of those systems now. They can vote with their checkbook and pay for anything else they want if they don't like the care they are getting under VA, Medicare, anything. When government runs healthcare from top to bottom, as they desire to, that won't be possible.

Union strength is not where it could be, and though it can't compare with workers' ownership (see the work of Karl Ove Moene for insight on that), the increased power of unions is obviously far preferable to the increased power of the financial class. As was aptly put to me, "there is insufficient attention to the 'efficient bargain' (where workers are able to secure a greater share of economic rents by increasing wages and employment levels)."

Marxism in action folks..

I was hoping to ignore the typical asinine economic remarks, but that one really is too much. :rofl:

But we all know as soon as labor IS management, it's game over, right comrade?

And, even when labor has ownership handed to them on a silver platter, they don't want it.

Chief says UAW will sell its Chrysler stock - Autos- msnbc.com

Forum List

Back