Friggin Responsibility

brewerboy

May 24, 2009
Central Illinois
As we all know from watching the news, theres more bailouts on the way. Courtesy of John y Jane Q. Taxpayer.

I cant help but be frustrated.

Hey Gummit, tomorrow will be starting my 9th week of a 2 week lay off. Where the fucks my bailout check? My unemployment check? Thats a laugh.

Its high time that we cut the cancer off, and let the business who have fucked themselves go under.

We'll deal with the aftermath. The American public has done it before.

Ugh.

All Barack Obama cares about is that you depend on government for healthcare. Whether you have a job or not does not matter.

In fact, if you do have a job, you won't need government healthcare and you will get in the way with his plans for government to run your healthcare.

You're right where Barack Obama wants you.

All Barack Obama cares about is that you depend on government for healthcare. Whether you have a job or not does not matter.

In fact, if you do have a job, you won't need government healthcare and you will get in the way with his plans for government to run your healthcare.

All you ever do is bitch about the government becoming involved with healthcare, yet you never provide any solutions to our current healthcare crisis. You expect us to believe everything is wonderful the way it is. Well, it's not. Healthcare costs have doubled in real dollars over the past 30 years, and they will double again over the next twenty, and that is in real dollars. At this pace, no one will be able to afford healthcare, so what is your solution? And when will your solution be put into place?

As we all know from watching the news, theres more bailouts on the way. Courtesy of John y Jane Q. Taxpayer.

Hey Gummit, tomorrow will be starting my 9th week of a 2 week lay off. Where the fucks my bailout check? My unemployment check? Thats a laugh.

Its high time that we cut the cancer off, and let the business who have fucked themselves go under.

Ugh.

I understand where you are coming from. Over half the people where I work are now unemployed. And it is damned unfair that the very people that created this debacle are feeling no pain. But to let the whole thing go down the drain as it did in the last Great Republican Depression will do none of us any good.

We need to institute some very stringent regulations to prevent this from happening again.
And we need to put some people in the SEC that will launch some investigations as to how all of this happened. And some convictions and hard jail time should result. Madoff is just the tip of the iceberg.

People like Phil (Enron) Gramm set this debacle up. We need to remember who he represented, and what party he was from.

And we need to examine our morality. Greed is not good, it is a cardinal sin. Yet we heard from one party for the last 40 years that greed was good. Now we see the results of that heresy. Time to cut the CEOs down to people size. What reason is there for a hired hand to make tens to hundreds of milions of dollars in a year? He or she did not found the company. They did not create it, they are merely hired hands, the same as I am. The incestous relationships within the boards of the companies needs to be examined. Often, these insane salaries are granted as the company slides into bankruptcy. And the fellow on the factory floor that has for years done his level best is the one that loses his home. And he is told that he is a chump, because he 'overbought' on a home that he has successfully made payments on for the last ten years.

Is what President Obama doing the best course? I don't know. I doubt that he, or any one else for that matter, knows for sure. But he is trying. And he is addressing the nation as he tries. I hope that he succeeds. Both my Grandfathers lost everything they had in the last Great Republican Depression. One was a farmer in Iowa, the other a rancher in Eastern Oregon. I remember their stories of how that they struggled to keep what they had, and how they felt that they had let their families down when the banks took everything.

Like most on the factory floor, my job is from week to week. Will my job continue? Will the company as a whole fail? Will lack of orders put me out of work? These are day to day worries. For me, less worrisome than for some. At the same time, the three small peices of property that I own are dropping in value, each drop representing a scaling down of retirement plans. For I have about five months, and I will be 66. I should have been born about 2 years ealier.:lol:

All you ever do is bitch about the government becoming involved with healthcare, yet you never provide any solutions to our current healthcare crisis. You expect us to believe everything is wonderful the way it is. Well, it's not. Healthcare costs have doubled in real dollars over the past 30 years, and they will double again over the next twenty, and that is in real dollars. At this pace, no one will be able to afford healthcare, so what is your solution? And when will your solution be put into place?

People like this lady do not have, nor do they wish to see, a real solution to that problem. It is against their ideology to address and solve a real problem.

There are many differant ways that other nations have addressed this problem, most with far more success than we are seeing in this nation. We need to look hard at their solutions, results, and problems, and see what can work for us.

Well hell, I'm right where SOMEONE wants me, thats for damn sure.

Though I'm very frustrated, I gotta admit, I have it better than most in my situation. You see, I work construction, usually in a shop metal fabricating for a halfway decent pay. In the winter, I spent almost 4 months in Miami working at a CAT distribution plant making bank. Because of those 4 months factored in, my unemployment is halfway decent compared to my shop pay. Then consider I have a child, which means a bit more.

However, CAT contracts are (were maybe?) 80 - 85% of my companies contracts. Tell me I aint fucked for a bit. And the bids we've put in for other jobs outside CAT have been cancelled. No one wants to spend the money right now.

My best friend who I've grown up with worked for a CAT contracter at the Mapleton, IL CAT plant, basically doing bitch work cleaning of the machines (I did that job for 6 months before my current job I guarantee half the people posting here wouldnt do it cause of the dangers). CAT has cut contract workers. So hes laid off. His unemployment is NOT a liveable wage.

To make matters worse, hes come down with what seems to be a mysterious illness that had him in a wheel-chair for a time, though he is now on crutches. He's applied for every bit of government help that he is eligible for. Though he hasnt heard back from all sources, experience says hes all but fucked. His father is fighting cancer. Though his mother is a nurse and works all the hours she can, its still not enough to both make the household money for house payments, bills, and food, let alone spare some for her son.

Though I give him what I can cause hes my long time best friend, its come to the point that I can take care of my family, or help him out. It has sadly come to that.

How frustrated is he?
How frustrated am I watching all this?

Some posters might find it unreasonable to put blame on the heads of the C.E.O.s/HNICs/etc of the industry giants (name your industry, banking/automotive/etc), but thats EXCATLY where I put the blame. If it wasnt for their shady practices, especially on the part of the banks, us mom n pop/homegrown business (of any sort!) wouldnt be in the position we're in.

The fucking bailouts need to stop, the way I see it. Sure, it'll fuck people like me in the short-term, but I'd rather work through that instead of being in the limbo we're in now (and by "we'" I mean us small guys)

I dont want a government bail-out. Fuck that, I'm too proud. Wouldnt take it if it was offered. I dont do welfare.

I want RESPONSIBLE business practices at the top of the ladder.

Its trickled down, and we're all about to feel the pinch. Tighten your belts people.

Last edited:

Ugh.

I understand where you are coming from. Over half the people where I work are now unemployed. And it is damned unfair that the very people that created this debacle are feeling no pain. But to let the whole thing go down the drain as it did in the last Great Republican Depression will do none of us any good.

We need to institute some very stringent regulations to prevent this from happening again.
And we need to put some people in the SEC that will launch some investigations as to how all of this happened. And some convictions and hard jail time should result. Madoff is just the tip of the iceberg.

People like Phil (Enron) Gramm set this debacle up. We need to remember who he represented, and what party he was from.

And we need to examine our morality. Greed is not good, it is a cardinal sin. Yet we heard from one party for the last 40 years that greed was good. Now we see the results of that heresy. Time to cut the CEOs down to people size. What reason is there for a hired hand to make tens to hundreds of milions of dollars in a year? He or she did not found the company. They did not create it, they are merely hired hands, the same as I am. The incestous relationships within the boards of the companies needs to be examined. Often, these insane salaries are granted as the company slides into bankruptcy. And the fellow on the factory floor that has for years done his level best is the one that loses his home. And he is told that he is a chump, because he 'overbought' on a home that he has successfully made payments on for the last ten years.

Is what President Obama doing the best course? I don't know. I doubt that he, or any one else for that matter, knows for sure. But he is trying. And he is addressing the nation as he tries. I hope that he succeeds. Both my Grandfathers lost everything they had in the last Great Republican Depression. One was a farmer in Iowa, the other a rancher in Eastern Oregon. I remember their stories of how that they struggled to keep what they had, and how they felt that they had let their families down when the banks took everything.

Like most on the factory floor, my job is from week to week. Will my job continue? Will the company as a whole fail? Will lack of orders put me out of work? These are day to day worries. For me, less worrisome than for some. At the same time, the three small peices of property that I own are dropping in value, each drop representing a scaling down of retirement plans. For I have about five months, and I will be 66. I should have been born about 2 years ealier.:lol:

Well bud, I hope you dont find yourself in the position I'm in. Even worse I hope you dont find yourself in the position of my buddy (read my last post). That being said, I hope you're stackin some cash man.

I cant say that I've read a ton of your posts (not purposely ignoring mind you) but I do half agree with what seems to be your stated opinion that at the very least, Obama is making half an attempt to keep the public informed. But I think that I can speak for everyone feeling my/our pinch when I say that words aren't enough. Not by a long shot. Action needs to be taken.

And in a weird twist of fate, by action, I guess I really mean in-action. Let the faltering businesses die. And if the "food-chain" that is business means that the business I work for needs to go under, so be it. I'm a healthy 23 year old whos stubborn as the day is long. I'll find work again. It's better than the limbo I'm caught in between work or no work. Do I remain loyal to the company, or say fuck it and split in the meager hopes of finding another decent job in this economy?

I dont know man. You may agree with me or not, but I say let the giants go under, no matter what the consequences. But then, whats gonna happen to the "about to retire" guys like you?

Is my personal attitude throwing YOU out in the cold? I wouldnt want to do that.

Its just a shame when one has to make the decision between helping a friend or providing for my family (through unemployment checks!!!!).

I get the feeling that I'm preaching to the choir as far as my response to you.

Though I gotta give you respect for being able to :lol: when the shit is falling down around ya.

Best of luck

Adide from the big three auto makers, what giant companies are getting bailed out by the FEDs?

Banks, right?

And why were the banks bailed out?

To keep the government from having to make good on the enormous cost if the FDIC would have been on the hook for all the deposits in those banks.

The rest of the money is, I suppose going to mitigating the pain of the people who are caught in this mess...it's going things like heating assistance, food stamps, and increasing the time people get unemployment.

Will this plan work?

Not a clue.

Would doing nothing have been better?

I sort of doubt it.

Had the banks melted down, it would have cost the FEDs more, and then putting the banking system back together would have been impossible.

Nobody is thrilled with what's going on.

But I suspect that the "let them bleed" sentiment that many of you think was the right solution would actually have been disasterous.

Ugh.

your whole entire rant comes down to blaming one party.. for that you are an idiot.

there is no stimulus check.....people getting ss will get a 250 check this month and that is it....if you have been laid off for 9 weeks ....you should have received a check after the first two weeks...did you file....or are you a sub....or is it the state not paying.

Ugh.

We already did that - we let Lehman Brothers go under. That's why you're out of work. Please don't wish the same thing on everybody else. I like my job.

Ugh.

We already did that - we let Lehman Brothers go under. That's why you're out of work. Please don't wish the same thing on everybody else. I like my job.

Failed companies have to go out of business. "Everybody else" will not fail, go out of business, or lose their jobs. Bailouts are bubbles, just like dot coms and real estate.

Are GM and Chrysler the gold standard for not letting them "go under?" Are those success stories?

Ugh.

for sure,, we bailed out GM and Chrysler,, how many lost those jobs to china and mexico..

Ugh.

Actually, its not courtesy via jane and joe taxpayer. if the taxpayers had that kinda dough, we wouldn't need a bailout to begin with. the money is coming from investors.

Forum List

Back