Sergeant at eye of storm says he won't apologize

I agree that you're an idiot and you need not have to apologize for it.
So you think the officer is a racist?

No, I believe Gates is a racist, the cop was simply doing his job and was accused of a being a racist for no reason other than he was white.

Do you think the officer is a racist?
There is no evidence that the cop is a racist, only that he abused his authority. Plenty of cops get called names. It's part of their training not to let their buttons get pushed. This cop had a weak moment. The charges were dropped so obviously his superiors thought so also.

I don't know who is racist or who isn't but the amazing thing is the belief that it is us, the citizens, who have to prove what it is we own, if it is our house, our car, etc. Some of you need a refresher in basic rights.

The burden is on the cop to have probable cause. The police do not have the right to make you prove anything. They have the burden of proof. How the fuck this got switched around in the minds of so many is beyond me. Are we now the new Soviet Union, like in the old spy movies, where there are men with guns around every corner who ask "let me see your papers"?

If I am putting a new roof on my house am I obligated to show any random cop my ID? Just so he can rest easy knowing I'm not roofing a strangers house?

This belief that cops have the right to demand identification at any given instance is absurd. This fucking country will have the police state it deserves. You fucking twits not only asked for it, you're already believing in it.

Next time they receive a call to the address for a burglary or what have you ... ignore it. Oh wait that's racist.

The cop was responding to a call of a burglary in progress ... the one person that did break in and answered the door was asked for id ... why not just say I live here sure and be thank ful the cops responded.

This belief that cops have the right to demand identification at any given instance is absurd. This fucking country will have the police state it deserves. You fucking twits not only asked for it, you're already believing in it.

:clap2:

In this case I think the cop had a good reason to ask for ID. The house had been called in as a possible burglary in progress and Gates approximately fit the description of the suspects. That the cop then refused to show his own ID is inexcusable.

The officer doesn't need to apologize for being a racist.
He should be reprimanded for making a totally unnecessary arrest all because his widdle feewings were hurt by being called a racist.

That's just stupid. Gates was warned TWICE. He wouldn't let it go and he was arrested. It's HIS fault, he deserved it, but because he's a black Harvard professor, he gets away with it and will ruin the career of a good cop simply because he's white. Racism is indeed alive and well in the United States.

In this case I think the cop had a good reason to ask for ID. The house had been called in as a possible burglary in progress and Gates approximately fit the description of the suspects. That the cop then refused to show his own ID is inexcusable.

In the given situation I would agree that Gates could have been more co operative.

He is not obligated however, to be co operative with unreasonable request. He is required to give his name and address. That's it. If the cop is still suspicious, he can go do his cop work and gather some evidence that would give him a reason to believe the man is not who he says he is. Until then he has a reason to think otherwise, it's just a cop taking the easy way out rather than obeying the law and observing the man's rights. Sure, Gates could have appeased the cop, but he was under no obligation to. So, the cop used force in order to find out that there was nothing out of the ordinary going on. .....what's that you say? It required force to figure out that everyhting was OK? that is what betrays the officers conduct.

The officer doesn't need to apologize for being a racist.
He should be reprimanded for making a totally unnecessary arrest all because his widdle feewings were hurt by being called a racist.

That's just stupid. Gates was warned TWICE. He wouldn't let it go and he was arrested. It's HIS fault, he deserved it, but because he's a black Harvard professor, he gets away with it and will ruin the career of a good cop simply because he's white. Racism is indeed alive and well in the United States.
Warned about what? That he shouldn't call a cop a name? Are we all subject to being arrested for espressing our opinions in our own homes? What exactly did Gates do to make him a threat to society?

Remember, the charges were dropped.

In the given situation I would agree that Gates could have been more co operative.

He is not obligated however, to be co operative with unreasonable request. He is required to give his name and address. That's it. If the cop is still suspicious, he can go do his cop work and gather some evidence that would give him a reason to believe the man is not who he says he is. Until then he has a reason to think otherwise, it's just a cop taking the easy way out rather than obeying the law and observing the man's rights. Sure, Gates could have appeased the cop, but he was under no obligation to. So, the cop used force in order to find out that there was nothing out of the ordinary going on. .....what's that you say? It required force to figure out that everyhting was OK? that is what betrays the officers conduct.

unreal ^

"I didn't know who [Gates] was. I was by myself. I was the only police officer standing there, and I got a report of people breaking into a house," Crowley told WEEI. "That was for my safety first and foremost. I have to go home at night, I have three beautiful children and a wife who depend on me. So I had no other motive than to ensure my safety."
Officer says he'll 'never apologize' for Harvard professor arrest - CNN.com

No, I believe Gates is a racist, the cop was simply doing his job and was accused of a being a racist for no reason other than he was white.

There is no evidence that the cop is a racist, only that he abused his authority. Plenty of cops get called names. It's part of their training not to let their buttons get pushed. This cop had a weak moment. The charges were dropped so obviously his superiors thought so also.

Bulcrap, the charges were dropped because Gates has friends in high places, including the POTUS. The cops career has been ruined by a racist professor looking to keep his job. Now he gets to make his documentary all about how there is still racism in america even though we have a black president. More than 50% of whites put that man in office, not the 90% of blacks that voted for him. Again, where's the racism?

I think it's clear that with Obama in office, the cries of racism are going to get louder, after all, without racism, people like the good professor would be out of a job.

Was the officer reprimanded? What evidence do you have to suggest the officer abused his authority?

Remember he is authorized to make an arrest.

How exactly did he abuse his authority? :doubt:

I agree that Gates had the right to refuse to show ID. That he did anyway is to his credit. I would have treated the matter differently and made a formal complaint. But nothing that Gates did warranted arrest. It's clear that the officer knew Gates was who he said he was. A complete waste of tax payer money.

I don't know who is racist or who isn't but the amazing thing is the belief that it is us, the citizens, who have to prove what it is we own, if it is our house, our car, etc. Some of you need a refresher in basic rights.

The burden is on the cop to have probable cause. The police do not have the right to make you prove anything. They have the burden of proof. How the fuck this got switched around in the minds of so many is beyond me. Are we now the new Soviet Union, like in the old spy movies, where there are men with guns around every corner who ask "let me see your papers"?

If I am putting a new roof on my house am I obligated to show any random cop my ID? Just so he can rest easy knowing I'm not roofing a strangers house?

The police did have probable cause. There was a reported break in, the officer wanted to make sure the individual inside the home actually belonged there. I guess he could have just taken the mans word for it, but that's not realistic. You are required to show ID anytime an officer request it, if you don't you are subject to be arrested for non compliance or interference with a police officer in the course of his or her duties.

The only twit here is you! And you continually prove it.

I agree that Gates had the right to refuse to show ID. That he did anyway is to his credit. I would have treated the matter differently and made a formal complaint. But nothing that Gates did warranted arrest. It's clear that the officer knew Gates was who he said he was. A complete waste of tax payer money.

Have you read the report?

Now, I could be wrong, but I believe if you refuse to show your id to the cops, they have the right to arrest you until they discover your identity. Plus, he had a call about a break in, if Gates refused to show his id, the cop had every right to arrest him until his identity could be determined, that's the cops job. Do you really think that if someone sees you break into your own home and calls the cops that you have the right to refuse to show id and you won't get arrested?

Gates keep YELLING at the cop. He was beligerant and he refused to back down. His conduct was disorderly and that's why he was arrested. Had he not been a Harvard prof with friends in high places, he'd most likely still be in jail.

How exactly did he abuse his authority? :doubt:
Lying that Gates was following him to his car when the photo shows Gates handcuffed just outside his door. You don't go around arresting people because they piss you off. Gates did not break any laws and he was no threat to anybody. The cop also also refused to show ID. When cops are out of order and you ask them that, they don't like it.

Forum List

Back