Sergeant at eye of storm says he won't apologize

Whatever the specifics of this case, I am merely makinng the point that failure to have or show ID is not a crime.
And the fact that it is not a crime seems to irk some people. I think the idea of a police state is attractive to them.

Not only irk some, but Lonestar says you aren't required to show ID but if you don't, you'll face the consequences. Leaves me wondering if Lonestar understands the concept of a requirement? If there is a consequence, then it's a requirement. To contend that showing ID is not required, but there is a consequence is.....well, it's stupid. If it isn't required, why are you punishing people for not doing it? Authoritarian idiots.

State laws differ and since I (thank God) do not live in that state it is difficult to discuss what is legal or not about this situation. It is my understanding that he was charged with Disorderly Conduct. In my state he more than met the requirements for that charge. It would be difficult for me to believe that it is not a violation, in that state, for an individual to be shouting and yelling such as he obviously was outside of his house for all to hear. He would have been arrested if he had been white and it is foolish to say otherwise.

Whatever the specifics of this case, I am merely makinng the point that failure to have or show ID is not a crime.
And the fact that it is not a crime seems to irk some people. I think the idea of a police state is attractive to them.

Not only irk some, but Lonestar says you aren't required to show ID but if you don't, you'll face the consequences. Leaves me wondering if Lonestar understands the concept of a requirement? If there is a consequence, then it's a requirement. To contend that showing ID is not required, but there is a consequence is.....well, it's stupid. If it isn't required, why are you punishing people for not doing it? Authoritarian idiots.
Lone star is a not too bright troll who has to always be right.

State laws differ and since I (thank God) do not live in that state it is difficult to discuss what is legal or not about this situation. It is my understanding that he was charged with Disorderly Conduct. In my state he more than met the requirements for that charge. It would be difficult for me to believe that it is not a violation, in that state, for an individual to be shouting and yelling such as he obviously was outside of his house for all to hear. He would have been arrested if he had been white and it is foolish to say otherwise.

There is no law in any state requiring the production of ID. 21 states do require you give your name when asked by a police officer.

As far as the case here, there are two very distinct points during the incident:

1) The officer says very early on, inside the house, that he believed Gates was lawfully on the property. At this point, why is the cop still there? Looking for trouble? Determined to bend a man to his will inside the mans own house? He has alredy said he believed Gates belonged there. Is reasonable suspicion a one way street? If I reasonably suspect you are a criminal I can detain you but if I reasonably suspect you are an honest homeowner, I'm still going to treat you like a criminal? Once the officer believed Gates to be there lawfully, it's time for him to BACK OFF. He could see the man was already upset and he reasonably believed he was the resident. I fail to see where there is anything of concern to the officer after this.

2) Once the ID had been produced, then there is no doubt in my mind, GET THE FUCK OFF MY PROPERTY.

Gates over reacted and in a tirade gave reason for his arrest
Obama over reacted and, in a moment of thoughtlessness, defiled a good policeman's name

Now that he has, sort of apologized, to me the indicent is over. The officer has nothing to apologize for and if I were him I would refuse an invite to visit the WH and break bread with Gates. Enough is enough. He did his job. If the race issue should be debated, this is not an example of "racial profiling. This is an example of a good cop doing his job and getting slammed for doing it. Now Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and all the other talking heads can spend the entire weekend whining about the Cambridge police.

This one silly incident may take focus off of Obama's most important goal, health care reform, long enough for the opponents to build thier momentum. That is truly sad...

Gates over reacted and in a tirade gave reason for his arrest
Obama over reacted and, in a moment of thoughtlessness, defiled a good policeman's name

Now that he has, sort of apologized, to me the indicent is over. The officer has nothing to apologize for and if I were him I would refuse an invite to visit the WH and break bread with Gates. Enough is enough. He did his job. If the race issue should be debated, this is not an example of "racial profiling. This is an example of a good cop doing his job and getting slammed for doing it. Now Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and all the other talking heads can spend the entire weekend whining about the Cambridge police.

This one silly incident may take focus off of Obama's most important goal, health care reform, long enough for the opponents to build thier momentum. That is truly sad...

I don't see much of a race issue here. Gates has made it one from the start. As for the officer, had it been a crumudeonly old white guy, I think he still would have been a prick and arrested a grouchy old man for being grouchy. At his own house. That's poppy cock.

I don't have to like Gates or like the race card being played. There is still an issue with how the officer proceeded after he learned who Gates was. Had he got into his car drove away, Gates would have been inside crying about racism on the telephone to his supervisor, there wouldn't have been words passing in the front yard. It takes two for an argument.

Maybe police policy should be changed to - when dealing with an irate racist where no crime has been committed, leave as soon as possible.

Forum List

Back