Senate GOP Warns They Will Shut Down The Senate

Simple majority would make it impossible for the Rs to hold the country hostage, stop the creation of jobs, stop economic growth. It needs to be done because the R are anti-America and anti-American. If they refuse to work FOR America, then run over them. We can no longer afford to let them blackmail us in order for them to serve their owners, the one percent.

Give 'em hell, Harry.

Last edited:
The Republican party hasn't had 60 votes in the Senate since the 1920's, or 30's maybe.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You would think they would welcome the opportunity to someday have a 51 vote majority that meant something,

especially when they are competitive in the House.

That would require the R leadership to think beyond the next election. They have never, in my lifetime, thought beyond that. Myopia thy name is GOP

LOL

Are these the same Dems who haven't even passed a fucking budget in 4 years?

Where is the budget that Republicans have passed?

You mean in the House, right?

"House GOP Budget Plan Rejected By Senate Democrats"

House GOP Budget Plan Rejected By Senate Democrats

Reid should stop snorting and start passing budgets

I don't see a signed budget coming out of the House?

What happened? Does passing a House budget that slashes taxes and has no chance of meeting a consensus in Congress constitute a passed budget?

Evidently not

Filibuster was a quaint custom that Republicans have been abusing

Go back to 51% vote like the Constitution intended

Then let's go back to Senators being appointed by Governors as well.

Go ahead

See if you can get it passed

If you want to go back to what the Constitution intended in the Senate, then that is part of it. I doubt there is any way for the power to select Senators to be returned to the respective states legislatures for approval, but this nation would be better off if it were.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel

Go ahead

If you want to go back to what the Constitution intended in the Senate, then that is part of it. I doubt there is any way for the power to select Senators to be returned to the respective states legislatures for approval, but this nation would be better off if it were.

No it wouldn't

It would only open up the offices to more corruption and the buying of Senate seats

What happened? Does passing a House budget that slashes taxes and has no chance of meeting a consensus in Congress constitute a passed budget?

Evidently not

It does, the senate is supposed to take it up, make the changes they want, then go to a conference committee to work out a compromise. Reid refuses to do even that

Go ahead

No it wouldn't

It would only open up the offices to more corruption and the buying of Senate seats

Only in Illinois

Go ahead

Why do you believe we would be better off if pols selected our representatives and not We The People?

Evidently not

It does, the senate is supposed to take it up, make the changes they want, then go to a conference committee to work out a compromise. Reid refuses to do even that

Why does, "Reid refuses to do even that"? I know, do you?

Go ahead

Why do you believe we would be better off if pols selected our representatives and not We The People?

Representatives were always meant to be chosen by the people. Hence the name "The People's House". They have short terms so that they must be responsive to the wishes of the people. Senators were to be selected in order to preserve the power of the state governments in relation to the federal government. In other words, Senators were meant to check the power of the Federal government over the states.

Last edited:
Yes, we clearly need filibuster reform...

blog_filibusters_party.jpg

Another way to read that graph is that Democrats, finding themselves with a majority for the first time in years, suddenly started trying to abuse the system by trying to get a lot of laws giving them special favors and denying basic human rights to anyone that disagreed with them. I know you will never see it that way because you are a partisan hack, but I like the idea that it is not easy to pass laws, no matter which party is in control.

It's time. Super majorities have their place, I guess. But not on the usual course of business. I support a super majority necessary in matters of great importance, amending the Constitution, impeaching a president, and lifetime appointments. Beyond those I want my Senators vote to count equally with the votes of Senators from Red States, and I assume those of you who live in Red States want their Senators to have the same power as Senators from Blue States.

You can assume whatever you want, you will be wrong. No one wants there vote to be equal to everyone else's, they all want their vote to count more than the people that are crazy enough not to agree with them.

Come to think of it, so do you, so I guess that makes you a liar.

Evidently not

It counts a lot more than anything that has come out of the Senate the last few years, doesn't it? By the way, even when Nancy passed a budget it didn't get through the Senate, so blaming the House for what Reid is doing is stupid.

Go ahead

We do pick our representatives, the Senate is not there to represent us, it is there to represent the states.

Forum List

Back