Senate GOP Warns They Will Shut Down The Senate

Filibuster was a quaint custom that Republicans have been abusing

Go back to 51% vote like the Constitution intended

And when they lose the majority, who wants to bet they change the rule back just before January of the next year?

Go ahead do it and then when the Republicans have the majority no crying about it from you dumb asses.

They can't do that.

Filibuster is a legitimate political tactic when it's used by democrats but it's called "shutting down government" when used by republicans. There was a time in politics when a congressman had to keep talking to facilitate filibuster. The old Jimmy Stewart movie showed a hoarse congressman trying to do the right thing in "Mr Smith goes to Washington". Since then the candy asses in congress changed the rules. Believe it or not all they have to do now is call out "filibuster" and save their voices.

Filibuster was a quaint custom that Republicans have been abusing

Go back to 51% vote like the Constitution intended

The Constitution doesn't say that, it says each house will establish their own rules. If the Dems want to play with the rules, don't bitch later when they have to play by the rules.

I agree partially with whitehall, the filibuster should be used for extended debate by the minority as in the movie, "Mr Smith goes to Washington"....

Outside of that, the term:

''what goes around comes around'' or "dejavu"

has great meaning here for both sides of the aisle!

In U.S. politics, the "nuclear option" is a filibuster-reform plan for the majority party in the United States Senate to change Senate precedents without a supermajority. This option is said to allow a simple majority to override the rules of the Senate and end a filibuster or other delaying tactic. In contrast, the cloture rule requires a supermajority of 60 votes (out of 100) to end a filibuster. The new interpretation becomes effective, both for the immediate circumstance and as a precedent, if it is upheld by a majority vote.
Senator Trent Lott (R-Miss.) first called the option "nuclear" in March 2003;[1][2] the metaphor of a nuclear strike refers to the majority party unilaterally imposing a change to the filibuster rule, which might provoke retaliation by the minority party.[3][4]
Although it is not provided for in the formal rules of the Senate, support for the nuclear option is found in a 1957 opinion by Vice President Richard Nixon (who added that he was expressing his personal opinion, not making a ruling from the chair[5]), as well as a series of votes in 1975, some of which were reconsidered shortly thereafter.[6] Proponents have referred to it as the constitutional option,[7][8][9] especially when applied to filibusters on judicial nominees, on the rationale that the United States Constitution implies that the Senate can act by a majority vote unless the Constitution itself requires a supermajority.[3]

The maneuver was brought to prominence in 2005 when Majority Leader Bill Frist (Republican of Tennessee) threatened its use to end Democratic-led filibusters of judicial nominees submitted by President George W. Bush. In response to this threat, Democrats threatened to shut down the Senate and prevent consideration of all routine and legislative Senate business. The ultimate confrontation was prevented by the Gang of 14, a group of seven Democratic and seven Republican Senators, all of whom agreed to oppose the nuclear option and oppose filibusters of judicial nominees, except in extraordinary circumstances.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_option
ring any memories?

Last edited:
And how will this be any different than what Reid has been doing the past 4 years?

Yes, we clearly need filibuster reform...

blog_filibusters_party.jpg

If the republicans do so, as the op is suggesting, they will pushbthe rest of the country farther away, so I hope they do so, cause if they do 2014/2016 will be good years.

The country is already divided, Obama saw to that in his first term. If disagreeing with Democrat attempts to alter how are government operates simply to make it easier to implement their twisted ideologies, then consider me pushed away from them already.

If the republicans do so, as the op is suggesting, they will pushbthe rest of the country farther away, so I hope they do so, cause if they do 2014/2016 will be good years.

The country is already divided, Obama saw to that in his first term. If disagreeing with Democrat attempts to alter how are government operates simply to make it easier to implement their twisted ideologies, then consider me pushed away from them already.

The public has spoken an Dems have the majority in the Senate. The only difference is that Dems will be able to push through their bills the same way Republicans do in the House

The public has spoken an Dems have the majority in the Senate. The only difference is that Dems will be able to push through their bills the same way Republicans do in the House

LOL

Are these the same Dems who haven't even passed a fucking budget in 4 years?

LOL

Where is the budget that Republicans have passed?

LOL

Where is the budget that Republicans have passed?

You mean in the House, right?

"House GOP Budget Plan Rejected By Senate Democrats"

House GOP Budget Plan Rejected By Senate Democrats

Reid should stop snorting and start passing budgets

The Republican party hasn't had 60 votes in the Senate since the 1920's, or 30's maybe.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You would think they would welcome the opportunity to someday have a 51 vote majority that meant something,

especially when they are competitive in the House.

It's time. Super majorities have their place, I guess. But not on the usual course of business. I support a super majority necessary in matters of great importance, amending the Constitution, impeaching a president, and lifetime appointments. Beyond those I want my Senators vote to count equally with the votes of Senators from Red States, and I assume those of you who live in Red States want their Senators to have the same power as Senators from Blue States.

Forum List

Back