Senate Bill By Lieberman Would Make 'New Columbia' 51st State...

Should also split up CA and NY while we're at it

Personally, I would love to see California to be split in two state-wise. Between it and NY Democrats basically get a free 100 Electoral Votes.

National gerrymandering because you don't like how a lot of people vote, huh?
That's courageous.

Why not just force-march New Yorkers to Utah and Kansas? We could call it "Trail of Tears Two" and telecast it live. Lay bets on arrival points. Fun for the whole family. Especially the kids as a lesson on how Democracy works.

The Dems don't need much help in MD. Except in unusual circumstances they win the governorship, most of the House seats and the EC votes. MD may not want DC to be a state on principle, i.e. when the government decided it didn't want the VA part anymore it was returned, but I doubt the drag on the already tight budget would be appreciated.

Yeah, cuz those reliably Democrat government employees are NOTORIOUS for 'forgetting' to pay their taxes....

Government employees don't live in DC, they live in the MD & VA suburbs.

District of Columbia QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Median value of owner-occupied housing units, 2007-2011 $442,600 US avg. $186,200

Persons per household, 2007-2011 2.13 US avg. 2.60

Per capita money income in the past 12 months (2011 dollars), 2007-2011 $43,993 US avg. $27,915

Median household income, 2007-2011 $61,835 US avg. $52,762

Those stats lead me to believe you are in error, Konrad...

Not the bottom rung ones that clean the buildings, secretaries, etc....they live in DC because they can't afford the homes in MD and VA or afford a car that does the 1-3 hour drive each way.

Those Federal workers like higher taxes on people making $250,000 so that their job is secure for 20-30 years.

Next....

The Dems don't need much help in MD. Except in unusual circumstances they win the governorship, most of the House seats and the EC votes. MD may not want DC to be a state on principle, i.e. when the government decided it didn't want the VA part anymore it was returned, but I doubt the drag on the already tight budget would be appreciated.

Yeah, cuz those reliably Democrat government employees are NOTORIOUS for 'forgetting' to pay their taxes....

Government employees don't live in DC, they live in the MD & VA suburbs.

so the Senate would, of course, automatically get two more permanently-Democrat senatorial seats...

- So the United States Citizens who live in D.C. would finally actually have representation.

Oh the horror.

They do have representation in the house.
The senate never was intended to vote on by the people but the states.

Should also split up CA and NY while we're at it

Personally, I would love to see California to be split in two state-wise. Between it and NY Democrats basically get a free 100 Electoral Votes.

That's courageous.

Why not just force-march New Yorkers to Utah and Kansas? We could call it "Trail of Tears Two" and telecast it live. Lay bets on arrival points. Fun for the whole family. Especially the kids as a lesson on how Democracy works.

It's not that. I just don't like any one state having that much sway over the vote. Just like the swing states.

I'd say the same thing if California was a red state.

That's courageous.

It's not that. I just don't like any one state having that much sway over the vote. Just like the swing states.

Texas?

That's courageous.

Texas?

Yes, like Texas.

Texas?

Yes, like Texas.

Well then you've moved your own goalposts, because your original rationale was "Democrats basically get a free 100 Electoral Votes". Not that "one party" get them; Democrats specifically.v:eusa_shifty:

It seems what that's really saying is that you'd like to revamp the system because you don't like the results.

so the Senate would, of course, automatically get two more permanently-Democrat senatorial seats...

- So the United States Citizens who live in D.C. would finally actually have representation.

Oh the horror.

They do have representation in the house.
The senate never was intended to vote on by the people but the states.

Non-voting, that's more like observer status, though the Rep does get to vote in committee.

a better solution, imho, would be to carve out that portion of D.C. which contains the Capital Building and the central core of federal buildings and monuments, and retain that as the District of Columbia...

and designate the remainder as the twenty-fifth county of the State of Maryland...
Retrocession is the cleanest solution, but Maryland doesn't want it.

:lol:

Forum List

Back