Sen Reid msg to Repubs about filling SCOTUS vacancy

Scalia was admired by the Right for his strict interpretation of the literal constitution. Rightly so.

But today the Right is calling for the repression of the constitution by obstructing the enumerated power of the President to appoint a new justice to the Supreme Court.

Are the Conservatives maintaining that a President's term of office is only three years, not four as spelled out clearly in the constitution? Are the Conservatives maintaining that the duty of elected Senators is to obstruct rather than legislate and govern? Are the Conservatives maintaining that political power is more important than adhering to the constitution?

Is this strict adherence to the constitution, the quality most admired by the Right, or is it a plot to amass political power?

Where are the Conservative constitutionalists?

No one says the President doesn't have the right to nominate someone Fool. We're saying Congress doesn't have to take the matter up. Look at all the Bills Harry Reid refused to bring to the floor when he was Majority Leader. There were over 300 he refused to even assign to committee. Mitch McConnell is now the Majority Leader and has say over what business the Senate will take on. What goes around comes around. Suck it up. The Democrats are the minority now.
Bullshit, they don't have to take they matter up. It's the responsibility of the Senate to advise and consent the president's nominees. That doesn't mean they have to approve whomever a president puts up; but it does mean they have to take the matter up.

Show me where it states anywhere that thee exists a time limit placed upon Congress for doing anything about anything. I'm waiting.
Who said anything about time limits? You're so wrong on this, you have to build up strawmen you can attack.

This is about Republicans declaring they will not abide by the Constitution. Time has nothing to do with it.

Scalia was admired by the Right for his strict interpretation of the literal constitution. Rightly so.

But today the Right is calling for the repression of the constitution by obstructing the enumerated power of the President to appoint a new justice to the Supreme Court.

Are the Conservatives maintaining that a President's term of office is only three years, not four as spelled out clearly in the constitution? Are the Conservatives maintaining that the duty of elected Senators is to obstruct rather than legislate and govern? Are the Conservatives maintaining that political power is more important than adhering to the constitution?

Is this strict adherence to the constitution, the quality most admired by the Right, or is it a plot to amass political power?

No one says the President doesn't have the right to nominate someone Fool. We're saying Congress doesn't have to take the matter up. Look at all the Bills Harry Reid refused to bring to the floor when he was Majority Leader. There were over 300 he refused to even assign to committee. Mitch McConnell is now the Majority Leader and has say over what business the Senate will take on. What goes around comes around. Suck it up. The Democrats are the minority now.
Bullshit, they don't have to take they matter up. It's the responsibility of the Senate to advise and consent the president's nominees. That doesn't mean they have to approve whomever a president puts up; but it does mean they have to take the matter up.

Show me where it states anywhere that thee exists a time limit placed upon Congress for doing anything about anything. I'm waiting.
Who said anything about time limits? You're so wrong on this, you have to build up strawmen you can attack.

This is about Republicans declaring they will not abide by the Constitution. Time has nothing to do with it.

Of course it does idiot. The Republicans will abide by the Constitution -- they simply will not follow your non-existence time frame.

Harry Reid To Republicans: You Better Not Block Us From Replacing Scalia
“There is no doubt Justice Antonin Scalia was a brilliant man. We had our differences and I disagreed with many of his opinions, but he was a dedicated jurist and public servant. I offer my condolences to his family."

“The President can and should send the Senate a nominee right away. With so many important issues pending before the Supreme Court, the Senate has a responsibility to fill vacancies as soon as possible. It would be unprecedented in recent history for the Supreme Court to go a year with a vacant seat. Failing to fill this vacancy would be a shameful abdication of one of the Senate's most essential Constitutional responsibilities.”

Sen Reid is a true Statesman. :salute:
Maybe Reid helped Scalia out of this world??

Of course it does idiot. The Republicans will abide by the Constitution -- they simply will not follow your non-existence time frame.
As the Republicans stall, obfuscate and stonewall their way through the nomination process, denying the nation of a full Supreme Court, what do you imagine the fallout for them will be politically speaking? How will their actions play with the electorate? I know it will be a big success with the Rabid Right Wingers, but take the general electorate in mind. You know, the same electorate that elected Obama twice and rates congress' approval in the single digits.

As the Republicans stall, obfuscate and stonewall their way through the nomination process, denying the nation of a full Supreme Court, what do you imagine the fallout for them will be politically speaking? How will their actions play with the electorate? I know it will be a big success with the Rabid Right Wingers, but take the general electorate in mind. You know, the same electorate that elected Obama twice and rates congress' approval in the single digits.

Well, from the polling, I'd say they would be a lot more secure than if they again sided with the Democrats and Obama. The Establishment Republicans are reeling now from the backlash. Probably the most experienced of any Establishment Republican to enter the race was Senator Graham. He was lucky to poll 2%. You are terribly mistaken when you claim it all has to do with rabid rightwingers. Many old-school Democrats, women, some few Blacks, and a whole load of Independents are pissed off with Obamacare and the failed economic and foreign policies of Obama and the Democrats. It's not all Right Wing.

There's a price to pay for loosing an election. Your Blacks and young Liberals were too busy looting and protesting to bother to vote in the mid-terms. Suck it up. You have about eight years of payback coming.

There's a price to pay for loosing an election. Your Blacks and young Liberals were too busy looting and protesting to bother to vote in the mid-terms. Suck it up. You have about eight years of payback coming.
There is a price to pay for losing to Obama in 2012
wasn't calling Scalia home while Obama is still in office the will of God?

GOP Turtle Mitch McConnell: "If the President has trouble doing nothing, we will be more than happy to show him how it is done."

-Andy Borowitz

Well, from the polling, I'd say they would be a lot more secure than if they again sided with the Democrats and Obama. The Establishment Republicans are reeling now from the backlash. Probably the most experienced of any Establishment Republican to enter the race was Senator Graham. He was lucky to poll 2%. You are terribly mistaken when you claim it all has to do with rabid rightwingers. Many old-school Democrats, women, some few Blacks, and a whole load of Independents are pissed off with Obamacare and the failed economic and foreign policies of Obama and the Democrats. It's not all Right Wing.
Your polling is out of the Republicans only. Democrats don't vote in Republican primaries. Once you look at the general electorate without partisan goggles, you might find some more accurate to nformation. Fringes don't lead, they only bray like mules.

Your polling is out of the Republicans only. Democrats don't vote in Republican primaries. Once you look at the general electorate without partisan goggles, you might find some more accurate to nformation. Fringes don't lead, they only bray like mules.

They can in some primaries. Independents can vote in some primaries. It all depends on the state where the primary is held.

They can in some primaries. Independents can vote in some primaries. It all depends on the state where the primary is held.
Are you really blaming Independents and Democrats for derailing the Republican establishment? What kind of political party are you running over there? A dysfunctional one or in denial?

Are you really blaming Independents and Democrats for derailing the Republican establishment? What kind of political party are you running over there? A dysfunctional one or in denial?

It's called CONSERVATISM.

So, it's a blend of denial and dysfunction.

And here I thought Conservatism meant something other than obstruction and the appetite to garner more political power. I heard that, at one time, Conservatism meant a more responsible and mature way of governing. I guess times and definitions change.

So, it's a blend of denial and dysfunction.

Whatever turns you on. You've digressed from juvenile to just plain stupid.

Screen-Shot-2016-02-14-at-6.08.38-PM-550x315.png

Forum List

Back