Sen. Demint says he will filibuster debt ceiling vote

Feb 2, 2011
Republican senator, Jim Demint, said today that he's willing to filibuster the upcoming debt ceiling vote. And he doesn't seem to care that it would likely hurt Republicans politically.

Jim DeMint Prepared To Filibuster Debt Ceiling Vote

Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) signaled he's prepared to filibuster a looming vote to raise the debt ceiling during an appearance on the "Laura Ingraham Show" on Thursday, The Hill reports.

"We're going to filibuster it," said the conservative senator while speaking on the radio program, according to Greenville Online. "You have to do everything you can to keep [Democrats] from raising the debt ceiling because that will force them to do things like balance the budget."

Meanwhile, the South Carolina senator didn't mince words in addressing what raising the debt ceiling could ultimately mean for members of his own party. When asked on Ingraham's program if the impending vote to raise the deficit limit could be Republicans' "Waterloo" in the next election cycle, he responded, "If it is, then let it be."

The extent that people don't understand economics is baffling to me.

Does anyone actually know what would happen if the debt ceiling isn't raised?

From where are you going to cut 1.7 Trillion dollars out of the budget? That's more than Medicare/caid, and Social Security combined.

Republican senator, Jim Demint, said today that he's willing to filibuster the upcoming debt ceiling vote. And he doesn't seem to care that it would likely hurt Republicans politically.

Jim DeMint Prepared To Filibuster Debt Ceiling Vote

Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) signaled he's prepared to filibuster a looming vote to raise the debt ceiling during an appearance on the "Laura Ingraham Show" on Thursday, The Hill reports.

"We're going to filibuster it," said the conservative senator while speaking on the radio program, according to Greenville Online. "You have to do everything you can to keep [Democrats] from raising the debt ceiling because that will force them to do things like balance the budget."

Meanwhile, the South Carolina senator didn't mince words in addressing what raising the debt ceiling could ultimately mean for members of his own party. When asked on Ingraham's program if the impending vote to raise the deficit limit could be Republicans' "Waterloo" in the next election cycle, he responded, "If it is, then let it be."

"Unions have done more harm to this country than any other institution, including the KKK."
that is the dumbest thing I have seen on here.

Its all crap. They know damn well they will raise the debt ceiling. This is just them trying to get everything they can get.

Obama, call their bluff! Don't give them anything and call them out. There is no way in the world they would destroy america and not raise the debt ceiling.

This is sickening.

From where are you going to cut 1.7 Trillion dollars out of the budget? That's more than Medicare/caid, and Social Security combined.

You are 100% correct. Its all crap but somehow this will affect abortion....wait for it. Somehow we shouldn't raise the ceiling because the republicans want to close down planned parenthood or some other thing they want.

It makes me sick because they know they will cave. Obama, call them out.

Last edited:
The fear-mongering over this issue is absurd. If the debt ceiling is not raised, the government will still be able to operate. It will simply be forced to live within it's means- that means cuts, lots of them. They can refinance the existing debt, but can no longer issue new debt - the credit card limit has been reached. It is what millions of people face every month.

We can start by selling off our overseas military bases and bringing our troops home- drones are cheaper and more effective. Then we can end all foreign aid. We can layoff every federal employee for 2-3 days per month; close parks etc....We can do many, many things to bring this shit under control. We must make the hard choices.

For all you bleeding heart liberals that simply cannot fathom a (gasp!!) spending cut - just pretend we needed to cut spending so we could all have a pet unicorn, or to fund Obamacare!!

The government needs to live within their means. Seriously, the only way we ever get anything done in this country is when there is a major fucking crisis. Republicans need to follow Rahm's advice and not let this one go to waste.....I seriously hope DeMint has the sack to do it.

It is really quite simple as to what would happen. The economy would shrink by over ten percent overnight. The resulting ripple effect would cause tax revenues to fall further, making the federal government basically inoperable, and as millions of Americans lost their jobs, the unemployment rate would continue to increase dramatically, banks would begin to fail as millions of Americans would default on their mortgages, and the money lost couldn't even be covered by the FDIC. The stock market would completely crash. How long and far the ripple would continue, and just how devastating it would be is hard to say. More likely than not, the entire US economy would shrink by 50%. Those who were wealthy would be no longer, and the country would be completely tapped out.

Local governments would also become inoperable, crime would soar and the country would become a living hell for most. Riots would ensue and at some point there would likely be a military takeover. Democracy as we know it would end. Sound too far fetched?

The fear-mongering over this issue is absurd. If the debt ceiling is not raised, the government will still be able to operate. It will simply be forced to live within it's means- that means cuts, lots of them. They can refinance the existing debt, but can no longer issue new debt - the credit card limit has been reached. It is what millions of people face every month.

We can start by selling off our overseas military bases and bringing our troops home- drones are cheaper and more effective. Then we can end all foreign aid. We can layoff every federal employee for 2-3 days per month; close parks etc....We can do many, many things to bring this shit under control. We must make the hard choices.

For all you bleeding heart liberals that simply cannot fathom a (gasp!!) spending cut - just pretend we needed to cut spending so we could all have a pet unicorn, or to fund Obamacare!!

The government needs to live within their means. Seriously, the only way we ever get anything done in this country is when there is a major fucking crisis. Republicans need to follow Rahm's advice and not let this one go to waste.....I seriously hope DeMint has the sack to do it.

Hahahahahaha... Foreign aid??? Parks?!? Hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!! :alcoholic::lmao::lol::booze::lmao::laugh2::lol:

Ok man, hahaha, let's cut off all all foreign aid ($47 billion) and the entire National Park Service (a WHOOPIN' $3 billion). Ok, so we've got $50 billion down (along with 23,000 jobs as a bonus).

Let's do away with other useless crap like the Bureau of Indian Affairs (Injuns? Though we wiped them all out! 2.4 billion, 8100 jobs), the Bureau of Land Management (900 millon, 10000 jobs), the Fish and Wildlife Services (jesus christ, do we really need that? 2.3 billion, 8000 jobs), the Geological Survey (studying natural hazards? gimme a break, 1.1 billion and 9000 jobs shed).

Awesome! A whooping extra 6.7 billion dollars for a low 35,100 extra unemployed. And we can keep going on and on and on. Hey, why not just eliminate the entire Department of Energy? There's 24 billion off the debt and 100,000+ jobs down the toilet. Or what about the Department of Commerce? I mean, "promoting economic growth" is such a pansy liberal idea. Let's do away with it - $10 billion and another 43,000 jobs.

We've already erased 90 billion dollars from the debt and 200,000 new unemployed, done away with all and every public park, indian reservations, any regulation of marine life and resources, any regulation of nuclear power or energy resource management, any agency coordinating investment for growth.

And all that for a MASSIVE 0.006% decrease in the national debt!!!

Let's cut off the Department of Agriculture and DOUBLE our gains... only ~99.86% left of debt once we get rid of those 105,000 jobs and any support for agricultural production or food security. Oh but let's not forget the closing down of overseas bases... Rumsfeld said back in the day that the government could save $6billion by closing around 100 bases, you wanna close all of them (~1000), so let's say $60 billion. Another nice couple of percentage points of a percentage point whittled down.

ALL of this together would not cover even a SINGLE year of interest payments on current debt.

Too bad there's not MORE parks to make up all that rest of difference!! You know, what I can't believe is how those retards over in Portugal and Greece didn't hire your consulting services to avoid default.

Cuz the heart of the matter is the fact that without the debt ceiling being raised, what is going to occur is a default on US debt. What it does come down to is effectively WORSE than the government shut-down that could've just occurred. What DeMint and other extremist radicals are proposing is putting the US government in a position where it will have to choose between laying off a couple of million people (directly) AND cutting off half of the government (with all its implications), or forcing the US to default on its debt. You're basically proposing that the United States choke itself.

But ok, in your point of view, government is totally useless and it SHOULD lay off its workforce and slash itself in half. Alright. Do you really trust them? Do you really think they will do it? Do you really want to have the option of a default, which is a very real possibility if the ceiling's not raised? Because not even the most fervent, ultra-conservative Republican Obama-hating birther could possibly deny what would happen if the US defaults. I mean, literally, a US default, with no fear of sounding like an alarmist, would be absolutely catastrophic on a BIBLICAL scale. We're talking about the end of the world as I've known it during my 22 years on this planet. We're delving into fire-and-brimstone bunker-and-shotgun territory there, and nobody can deny that.

Did the US declare bankruptcy in 1967? Did the economy collapse? Did the world come to an end?

Did the US declare bankruptcy in 1967? Did the economy collapse? Did the world come to an end?

The debt ceiling was raised twice in 1967. Once in March, and again in June. I'm not sure what you're talking about.

So you cut overseas military bases, foreign aid, fulough federal workers for a few days a month, and close all the National parks. Still need to cut about a trillion dollars more to balance the budget.

The debt ceiling was raised twice in 1967. Once in March, and again in June. I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Could I possibly be talking about the time it was not? Should I also mention the time it wasn't raised under Nixon? Or the various other times it was not raised?

Could I possibly be talking about the time it was not? Should I also mention the time it wasn't raised under Nixon? Or the various other times it was not raised?

Link? I can't find anything.

Gee, I have no idea. I must have made it all up.

Or maybe not.

Ocala Star-Banner - Google News Archive Search

Forum List

Back