Secret Service Violates Congressman's Privacy

Try this .. imagine a big fat "D" behind Chaffetz's name and watch how rapidly any "appearance of conflict of interest" vanishes in your mind.
It doesn't. I'm not partisan. An asshole is an asshole, a conflict is a conflict.
Ah.. so we get to the heart of your line of reasoning, you just don't like Chaffetz personally, well I don't particularly like him either but manufacturing silly horseshit out of thin air doesn't seem like a productive exercise to me but if it makes you happy, feel free to carry on.

Try this .. imagine a big fat "D" behind Chaffetz's name and watch how rapidly any "appearance of conflict of interest" vanishes in your mind.
It doesn't. I'm not partisan. An asshole is an asshole, a conflict is a conflict.
Ah.. so we get to the heart of your line of reasoning, you just don't like Chaffetz personally, well I don't particularly like him either but manufacturing silly horseshit out of thin air doesn't seem like a productive exercise to me but if it makes you happy, feel free to carry on.
I don't care if the guy fucked a goat. If he did then he doesn't get oversight on goat regulations.

Don't know him, and don't give a fuck. Got it now?

I don't care if the guy fucked a goat. If he did then he doesn't get oversight on goat regulations. Got it now?

I understand, you don't like the guy and since you don't like him you're going to do your level best to make him the focus of the problems at the Secret Service, you've made that clear no need to reinforce that fact, carry on....
:party:

I don't care if the guy fucked a goat. If he did then he doesn't get oversight on goat regulations. Got it now?

I understand, you don't like the guy and since you don't like him you're going to do your level best to make him the focus of the problems at the Secret Service, you've made that clear no need to reinforce that fact, carry on....
I don't know who the little fucker is, nor do I care, so stop imposing your fantasy and deal with reality. It doesn't matter a goddamned if you actually grind the axe, only that it looks like you have one to grind. Learn to see the forest for the trees, dumbass...

I don't know who the little fucker is,
Then why did you refer to him as an "asshole"? and a "little fucker"? certainly appears that you have a personal axe to grind against him.

nor do I care, so stop imposing your fantasy and deal with reality. It doesn't matter a goddamned if you actually grind the axe, only that it looks like you have one to grind. Learn to see the forest for the trees, dumbass...
Why are you so angry? Do you work for the Secret Service or have some other personal stake in this?

This is definitely worse than leaking the name of an undercover CIA operative to the media.

Rep Chaffetz applied to work for the Secret Service many years ago and wasnt hired. Fine. As a Congressman he is in charge of a committee investigating the agency for their obvious gross mismanagement and incompetence. In retaliation the agency releases personal information from his file to an outside news source. No one is prosecuted, even though this is a clear violation of the Privacy Act. Even the "apologies" are fake, with lies thrown in.
Is anyone defending the Obama Administration for this kind of thing? Are we to believe the Secret Service is the only agency that uses information to punish enemies? Where is the outrage?
Secret Service official wanted to embarrass congressman

YOUR link

After reviewing the IG report, the oversight panel’s ranking Democrat, Rep. Elijah E. Cummings (Md.), said in a statement that he was “deeply troubled” by what Roth’s team uncovered and that staffers who have shown themselves to be “unwilling or unable to meet the highest ethical standards” should leave the agency.

“Chairman Chaffetz and I have worked together to help restore the Secret Service to its standing as the most elite protective agency in the world,” Cummings said. “Today’s findings by the Inspector General go directly against this goal and are completely and utterly unacceptable and indefensible.”

THE ADMIN HUH? LOL

This is definitely worse than leaking the name of an undercover CIA operative to the media.

Did some new evidence surface that the Secret Service leaked the name of an undercover CIA operative to the media? I haven't heard that one ...

No. But there was that one incident a few years back where it was suggested that Administration officials were responsible for leaking a name to the media...

Did some new evidence surface that the Secret Service leaked the name of an undercover CIA operative to the media? I haven't heard that one ...

No. But there was that one incident a few years back where it was suggested that Administration officials were responsible for leaking a name to the media...

I don't see any possible connection that has to the topic of this thread, can you elaborate on why you believe it relates to what the Secret Service tried to do to Congress Critter Chaffetz in an attempt to silence his criticism of that organization?

I don't see any possible connection that has to the topic of this thread, can you elaborate on why you believe it relates to what the Secret Service tried to do to Congress Critter Chaffetz in an attempt to silence his criticism of that organization?

The Plame affair (also known as the CIA leak scandal and Plamegate) was a political scandal that revolved around journalist Robert Novak's public identification of Valerie Plame as a covert Central Intelligence Agency officer in 2003.

In 2002, Plame wrote a memo to her superiors in which she expressed her hesitance to recommend her husband, former diplomat Joseph C. Wilson, to the CIA for a mission to Niger to investigate claims that Iraq had arranged to purchase and import uranium from the country, but stated that he "may be in a position to assist".After President George W. Bush stated that "Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa" during the run-up to the 2003 invasion of Iraq, Wilson published a July 2003 op-ed in The New York Times stating his doubts during the mission that any such transaction had taken place. A Senate intelligence committee report in July 2004, however, found that for most intelligence analysts, Wilson's report had bolstered the case for the purchase of uranium.

A week after Wilson's op-ed was published, Novak published a column which mentioned claims from "two senior administration officials" that Plame had been the one to suggest sending her husband. Novak had learned of Plame's employment, which was classified information, from State Department official Richard Armitage. David Corn and others suggested that Armitage and other officials had leaked the information as political retribution for Wilson's article.

The scandal led to a criminal investigation; no one was charged for the leak itself. Scooter Libby was convicted of lying to investigators. His prison sentence was ultimately commuted by President Bush.

Plame affair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

23 Administration Officials Involved In Plame Leak

The losers who decided to leak the info will be dealt with....and rightfully so.

What more would the OP like to see happen?
The dept should have an investigation into the incident. They should report it without lying. The head of SS should resign. Those who viewed the file without authorization should be prosecuted for violating the law.
Like that will ever happen in this administration.

Rep Chaffetz applied to work for the Secret Service many years ago and wasnt hired. Fine. As a Congressman he is in charge of a committee investigating the agency for their obvious gross mismanagement and incompetence. In retaliation the agency releases personal information from his file to an outside news source. No one is prosecuted, even though this is a clear violation of the Privacy Act. Even the "apologies" are fake, with lies thrown in.
Is anyone defending the Obama Administration for this kind of thing? Are we to believe the Secret Service is the only agency that uses information to punish enemies? Where is the outrage?

Chaffetz is such a loser - couldn't make the cut and now he's going to cry about it.

What a bitch.
You're sucj a moron. I mean, it boggles the mind that anyone can be as stupid as you are. We're talking weapons grade stupid. You need a class in remedial civics here.

The Plame affair (also known as the CIA leak scandal and Plamegate) was a political scandal that revolved around journalist Robert Novak's public identification of Valerie Plame as a covert Central Intelligence Agency officer in 2003.
<snip more irrelevant bullshit>.......

What is it complete non sequitur day or something? Nobody ever tells me about these hallmark holidays.......

Oh right the Klown who wants to be "moderate" wants to forget what happened under 8 years of Dubya/Cheney's reign of error. Shocking

Hint the OP's link to "this administration"???

What is it complete non sequitur day or something? Nobody ever tells me about these hallmark holidays.......

Oh right the Klown who wants to be "moderate" wants to forget what happened under 8 years of Dubya/Cheney's reign of error. Shocking

ZOMG! Bush lied us into 9/11!!!! ZOMG!! Bush was the worst ever!!!
How about addressing the crimes of this administration, asshole? Why arent you up in arms over the violation of Chaffets' privacy? Because if they can do that to a sitting congressman they can do it to you and me.

Interesting, I've never been accused of being "moderate" before... nice of change of pace I suppose. What's even more interesting is the fact that apparently believe you can substitute vitriol for an actual argument (hint: won't work only serves to make you look silly).

Still doesn't explain why you believe that story has anything to do with the Secret Service attempting to silence Chaffetz by leaking confidential information, don't you think that the problem is with the Secret Service and that it should be addressed post haste? Or do you honestly believe that attempting to apply moral equivalency to this situation is going to fix the clear and undeniable problems with the organization that is entrusted with protecting the President?

So guy who wasn't good enough to get into the Secret Service is in charge of looking at what the Secret Service does?

That is a scandal.
Your logic is flawed, Chaffetz is a congressman and congress has oversight authority over the departments of the executive, it would be like saying since Congress critter XYZ wasn't qualified for an Astronaut slot he/she can't participate in the oversight NASA, would be an absolutely unworkable situation and a prohibition like that has never even be contemplated or proposed (for good reason).

I think his conflict of interest IS in the public interest. It shows he goes in with a bias.

I think the Secret Service probably does need some serious reforms. I'm just not sure a washout out like Chaffetz is the guy to do it.

Can you provide evidence he did something wrong in his position ?

So guy who wasn't good enough to get into the Secret Service is in charge of looking at what the Secret Service does?

That is a scandal.
Your logic is flawed, Chaffetz is a congressman and congress has oversight authority over the departments of the executive, it would be like saying since Congress critter XYZ wasn't qualified for an Astronaut slot he/she can't participate in the oversight NASA, would be an absolutely unworkable situation and a prohibition like that has never even be contemplated or proposed (for good reason).

I think his conflict of interest IS in the public interest. It shows he goes in with a bias.

I think the Secret Service probably does need some serious reforms. I'm just not sure a washout out like Chaffetz is the guy to do it.

Can you provide evidence he did something wrong in his position ?
There is no evidence he did anything wrong in this case, he's the victim the Secret Service is the perpetrator, all the rest is just noise attempting to essentially paint Chaffetz as "asking for it"... lawyers use the same tactic a lot to defend accused rapists, sometimes it works.

Forum List

Back