Second Romney-Backed Solar Company Files For Bankruptcy

I like green energy, especially solar, and I never cheer when a solar company goes under regardless of who funded it. I think solar has a great future, but doubt it will be perfected in my lifetime. China dominates the solar market, heavily backed by its government, which puts American companies at a great disadvantage. If America doesn't fight for its share of the solar market, China and Asia will have it all.

China doesnt dominate it. Dubai is on the forefront of new solar tech.

I like green energy, especially solar, and I never cheer when a solar company goes under regardless of who funded it. I think solar has a great future, but doubt it will be perfected in my lifetime. China dominates the solar market, heavily backed by its government, which puts American companies at a great disadvantage. If America doesn't fight for its share of the solar market, China and Asia will have it all.

Well......then you'd better get on Obama's ass because his EPA, higher pay, health care and benefits packages, costs of materials, and government regulations up the ass have made the American Solar industry unprofitable.

Then put your money in solar, not US Taxpayers'.

Concerned about putting American Companies at a disadvantage? China also does not have Unions, Environmental Laws (you can sitll pursue the solar market as a future without pandering to current environmentalists), or unlimited litigation like the US does....these put US Companies at a disadvantage as well as the highest corporate tax rates on the Globe.

Quit your cherry picking.

Do we need more proof that this is a failed industry that IS NOT READY TO GO?

Yet Obama, in his stupidity will continue to push it, along with the failed Volt

How is this industry ever going to get ready to go if no one ever invests in it?

We don't have a nuclear industry today because some plucky enterpeneurs said "let's do some nuclear stuff". We have it because the government pumped billions of dollars into the project.

Solar energy is a proven form of energy, guy. The sun is up there and it baths the planet in energy. We just need to learn how to harvest it economically.

The country that controls the next big thing will be the country that wins.
People have invested in it the problem is the investments keep bombing failure tends to drive investors away.

China doesnt dominate it. Dubai is on the forefront of new solar tech.

Really? Gotta a link...?

How China dominates solar power | Environment | guardian.co.uk

Chinese cheaters? How China dominates solar | Grist

China dominates the US in solar energy | PRI.ORG

China dominates solar power | News24

China Leads Global Investments in Renewable Energy - Commodities & Futures

Did Romney back it with taxpayer money or his own money?

He backed it with taxpayer money, according to the article. The article is a little vague (something tells me there will be more reporting on this in the future) but it appears that Romney specifically chose Konarka as a loan-recipient and that the Massachusetts taxpayer will not be getting the loan repaid in full.

This seems very close to an exact parallel to Solyndra. The only thing missing would be a Romney donor or other crony who also invested in Konarka. Given that there was about $190 million invested in Konarka, it wouldn't surprise me if such a connection eventually emerges.

That's fucking bullshit. Romney doesn't have access to taxpayer money.. Asswipe.

By Igor Volsky

On Thursday, Mitt Romney campaigned at the headquarters of Solyndra — the first renewable energy company to receive a federal loan under the stimulus — and reiterated his debunked claims that its bankruptcy symbolized the corruption and cronyism of the Obama administration. But just one day later, a solar panel developer “that landed a state loan from Mitt Romney when he was Massachusetts governor” went belly up, the Boston Herald reports, creating an inconvenient storyline for the GOP presidential nominee.

More: Second Romney-Backed Solar Company Files For Bankruptcy | ThinkProgress

Mitt Romney's big green flop - BostonHerald.com

FACT CHECK: Romney misses a mark on Solyndra claim | khou.com Houston

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/226641-fact-checking-romneys-solyndra-speech.html

Evergreen Solar is the other company that filed chapter 11.......to move to China last year.

Evergreen Solar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, two companies that have gone under in the last year dealt with Romney 9 years ago......and it's Romney's fault?

LOL. Sounds like desperation time for Obama.:lol:

Not to mention Romney not using the tax payers money...just sayin~

Evergreen Solar is the other company that filed chapter 11.......to move to China last year.

So, two companies that have gone under in the last year dealt with Romney 9 years ago......and it's Romney's fault?

So, when Romney was Governor of Mass., where did the money come from? Hint: State (i.e. taxpayers).

So, when Romney was Governor of Mass., where did the money come from? Hint: State (i.e. taxpayers).

I checked both companies and found no mention that the state provided their funding.

You're gonna have to show proof that Mass helped fund them while Romney was Gov.

Lets see, 9 years vs 9 months. Was the company Mass. state back using outdated solar panels before they even broke ground?

I disagree that the state should have backed the company, I don't care if Romney used his own money.

To compare the two though is laughable.

Yet Obama, in his stupidity will continue to push it, along with the failed Volt

How is this industry ever going to get ready to go if no one ever invests in it?

We don't have a nuclear industry today because some plucky enterpeneurs said "let's do some nuclear stuff". We have it because the government pumped billions of dollars into the project.

Solar energy is a proven form of energy, guy. The sun is up there and it baths the planet in energy. We just need to learn how to harvest it economically.

You get ready to go and get investors by having a solid product with a good sales pitch.

Seems they failed twice now.

I checked both companies and found no mention that the state provided their funding.

You're gonna have to show proof that Mass helped fund them while Romney was Gov.

Holy shit, can't you read? It's one of the OP links. Here it is again...

The difference between Konarka and Solyndra should be apparent to normal thinking people who's minds aren't clouded by hatred. Konarka appeared to be a successful company, way, way back when Romney was Governor of Mass. The Pentagon even invested in Konarka. Konarka was approved for further lending by a federal agency. Everyone warned Obama not to invest taxpayer funds in Solyndra because ,,,,duh,,,it was on the verge of bankruptcy. Solyndra went under about a year and a half after Obama disregarded advice and authorized the loan.

The difference between Konarka and Solyndra should be apparent to normal thinking people who's minds aren't clouded by hatred. Konarka appeared to be a successful company, way, way back when Romney was Governor of Mass. The Pentagon even invested in Konarka. Konarka was approved for further lending by a federal agency. Everyone warned Obama not to invest taxpayer funds in Solyndra because ,,,,duh,,,it was on the verge of bankruptcy. Solyndra went under about a year and a half after Obama disregarded advice and authorized the loan.

Wow, that's sounds terrible. Can you give us some credible proof...?

This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us." -- Western Union internal memo, 1876.

Of course Western Union said that. They stood to be put out of business because of the new tech. lol

And it never occurs to you that the oil industry and the coal industry says similar things about solar energy?

For pretty much the same reason?

You get ready to go and get investors by having a solid product with a good sales pitch.

Seems they failed twice now.

Or you invest money into crash technology investment and R&D.

Which is what they did with the Tennesee Valley Authority or the Manhatten Project, which created the Hydro-electric and Nuclear energy industries.

The story says that Romney gave them a $1.5 million renewable energy subsidy......intended to keep the price down.

The story also says that they also collected $20 million in government grants....doesn't say what government, state or federal, and $170 million in private capital funds.....:lol:

But for some reason the $1.5 renewable energy subsidy allegedly from Romney in 2003 was the reason the business folded the day after Romney's speech in front of Solyndra. :lol:

That small percentage did it all. :lol:

Please........give me a fucken break. :lol:

The story says that Romney gave them a $1.5 million renewable energy subsidy......intended to keep the price down.

The story also says that they also collected $20 million in government grants....doesn't say what government, state or federal, and $170 million in private capital funds.....:lol:

But for some reason the $1.5 renewable energy subsidy allegedly from Romney in 2003 was the reason the business folded the day after Romney's speech in front of Solyndra. :lol:

That small percentage did it all. :lol:

Please........give me a fucken break. :lol:

1.5 million in subsidies 10 years ago? This is her rant? This is her comparison to Obama investing half a billion in tax payer money? Does she not know the difference between an energy subsidy (money already earmarked for such things) and a loan from the Federal Reserve?

Forum List

Back