Second Romney-Backed Solar Company Files For Bankruptcy

Holy shit, can't you read? It's one of the OP links. Here it is again...

Mitt Romney's big green flop - BostonHerald.com

Yes please, a big shout out for reading comprehension!

“Konarka has been unable to obtain additional financing, and given its current financial condition, it is unable to continue operations,” CEO Howard Berke said in a statement. “This is a tragedy for Konarka’s shareholders and employees and for the development of alternative energy in the United States.”

In its 11-year history, Konarka collected a total of $20 million in government research grants, along with $170 million in private capital. The company makes thin, flexible solar panels that its customers build into other products such as deck umbrellas, backpacks and portable chargers.
Could it be that the original 'loan/subsidy' of $1.5M was actually paid back?
Or perhaps the company actually made some profit at one time?

Never mind comparing $1.5M to $500M+ ...

The difference between Konarka and Solyndra should be apparent to normal thinking people who's minds aren't clouded by hatred. Konarka appeared to be a successful company, way, way back when Romney was Governor of Mass. The Pentagon even invested in Konarka. Konarka was approved for further lending by a federal agency. Everyone warned Obama not to invest taxpayer funds in Solyndra because ,,,,duh,,,it was on the verge of bankruptcy. Solyndra went under about a year and a half after Obama disregarded advice and authorized the loan.

Wow, that's sounds terrible. Can you give us some credible proof...?

It's in your OP.

The difference between Konarka and Solyndra should be apparent to normal thinking people who's minds aren't clouded by hatred. Konarka appeared to be a successful company, way, way back when Romney was Governor of Mass. The Pentagon even invested in Konarka. Konarka was approved for further lending by a federal agency. Everyone warned Obama not to invest taxpayer funds in Solyndra because ,,,,duh,,,it was on the verge of bankruptcy. Solyndra went under about a year and a half after Obama disregarded advice and authorized the loan.

It's in your OP.

I must have missed it. Can you provide a quote and link?

It's in your OP.

Back in 2003 China and the rest weren't in competition with American Solar companies like they are today.

Back then it might have been a decent investment.

But the left will give credence to this claim and won't listen to the facts once they're presented to them.

By Igor Volsky

On Thursday, Mitt Romney campaigned at the headquarters of Solyndra — the first renewable energy company to receive a federal loan under the stimulus — and reiterated his debunked claims that its bankruptcy symbolized the corruption and cronyism of the Obama administration. But just one day later, a solar panel developer “that landed a state loan from Mitt Romney when he was Massachusetts governor” went belly up, the Boston Herald reports, creating an inconvenient storyline for the GOP presidential nominee.

More: Second Romney-Backed Solar Company Files For Bankruptcy | ThinkProgress

FACT CHECK: Romney misses a mark on Solyndra claim | khou.com Houston

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/226641-fact-checking-romneys-solyndra-speech.html

:cuckoo: IDIOT :cuckoo: This company was a part of The University of Massachusetts....if Romney had not given them money you would still be fussing...only this time you would be saying he hates education!

Did Romney back it with taxpayer money or his own money?

He backed it with taxpayer money, according to the article. The article is a little vague (something tells me there will be more reporting on this in the future) but it appears that Romney specifically chose Konarka as a loan-recipient and that the Massachusetts taxpayer will not be getting the loan repaid in full.

This seems very close to an exact parallel to Solyndra. The only thing missing would be a Romney donor or other crony who also invested in Konarka. Given that there was about $190 million invested in Konarka, it wouldn't surprise me if such a connection eventually emerges.

That is NOT what the article says...quit with the lies already

He backed it with taxpayer money, according to the article. The article is a little vague (something tells me there will be more reporting on this in the future) but it appears that Romney specifically chose Konarka as a loan-recipient and that the Massachusetts taxpayer will not be getting the loan repaid in full.

This seems very close to an exact parallel to Solyndra. The only thing missing would be a Romney donor or other crony who also invested in Konarka. Given that there was about $190 million invested in Konarka, it wouldn't surprise me if such a connection eventually emerges.

God..you people are so STUPID! Konarka was a part of The University of Massachusetts!

Evergreen Solar is the other company that filed chapter 11.......to move to China last year.

Evergreen Solar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, two companies that have gone under in the last year dealt with Romney 9 years ago......and it's Romney's fault?

LOL. Sounds like desperation time for Obama.:lol:

Not to mention Romney not using the tax payers money...just sayin~

So, when Romney was Governor of Mass., where did the money come from? Hint: State (i.e. taxpayers).

Again with the utter stupidity and an apparent inability to read English..the ops own link say he used his OWN MONEY!

You idiots can't even keep your lies straight.......

By Igor Volsky

On Thursday, Mitt Romney campaigned at the headquarters of Solyndra — the first renewable energy company to receive a federal loan under the stimulus — and reiterated his debunked claims that its bankruptcy symbolized the corruption and cronyism of the Obama administration. But just one day later, a solar panel developer “that landed a state loan from Mitt Romney when he was Massachusetts governor” went belly up, the Boston Herald reports, creating an inconvenient storyline for the GOP presidential nominee.

More: Second Romney-Backed Solar Company Files For Bankruptcy | ThinkProgress

FACT CHECK: Romney misses a mark on Solyndra claim | khou.com Houston

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/226641-fact-checking-romneys-solyndra-speech.html

A Bay State solar panel developer that landed a state loan from Mitt Romney when he was Massachusetts governor has gone belly up — a day after the GOP presidential hopeful ripped President Obama’s green-energy investments.

more at-

Mitt Romney’s big green flop - BostonHerald.com

and?

but it appears that Romney specifically chose Konarka as a loan-recipient and that the Massachusetts taxpayer will not be getting the loan repaid in full.

so it appears...I see.

so lets sum up, Romney MAY have been a little stupid, obama is a whole lot stupid and indulged his cronys...yup, certainly sounds fair to me:rolleyes:

Oh for CRIPES sake!

Exactly what part of the word "SUBSIDY" do you moronic libs not comprehend?

: a grant or gift of money: as a : a sum of money formerly granted by the British Parliament to the crown and raised by special taxation b : money granted by one state to another c : a grant by a government to a private person or company to assist an enterprise deemed advantageous to the public

There was NO LOAN!

Holy shit, can't you read? It's one of the OP links. Here it is again...

Yes please, a big shout out for reading comprehension!

“Konarka has been unable to obtain additional financing, and given its current financial condition, it is unable to continue operations,” CEO Howard Berke said in a statement. “This is a tragedy for Konarka’s shareholders and employees and for the development of alternative energy in the United States.”

In its 11-year history, Konarka collected a total of $20 million in government research grants, along with $170 million in private capital. The company makes thin, flexible solar panels that its customers build into other products such as deck umbrellas, backpacks and portable chargers.
Could it be that the original 'loan/subsidy' of $1.5M was actually paid back?
Or perhaps the company actually made some profit at one time?

Never mind comparing $1.5M to $500M+ ...

if this "loan" turns out to be a research grant mechanism some folks here are going to have to repent....never ever take anything from think progress without a verifying.

Wingnut spin is sooo delightful...

See what I mean???

You just got punked big-time and that's all you can say, bitch???

its think progress...first thing I do is seek a REAL source. Fruity goes with TP because thats were he gets all of his news and talking points.

Did you delete your post asking Gareyt17 for a link to UMass...or am I hallucinating? (again)
Cause if I'm hallucinating, it's gonna look real bad on me... :(

Last edited:

Forum List

Back