SeattleTimes editorial asks liquor store clerks to be law-breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find your position hypocritical. To be consistent you should have said, "any amount of alcohol"!

Honestly, I could deal with a total ban on alcohol as well. That wouldn't disappoint me in the least. I can count the number of drinks I've had in the last 14 months on both hands and have fingers left to spare. I just see alcohol as being slightly less of an issue than the other two are.

And while I'm at it, why did you state earlier that you think progress, for the most part, isn't good? I don't want to derail the thread, so if you don't want to get into this kind of discussion I understand.

I'll quickly answer this, and if you want to follow up you can shoot me a PM on it so we don't side-track the thread....

There used to be moderating factors to progress called Values, Morals, and Ideals. The team that invented the bombs used on Hiroshima and Nagasaki spent a long time debating whether their invention should ever be used, as did the man who ordered its use. The Papacy at one time banned the use of crossbows in war because of the devastating effects it had in combat. People actually looked at what the societal and social concerns of new ideas and inventions might be before loosing them on the populace as a whole.

Nowadays none of that happens. It's all about how much can you make, as quickly as possible, with no thought about whether or not the idea or invention is actually going to have a positive or negative effect on society as a whole. Until those ideals are reinstilled in the world, progress seems to more often than not do more HARM than GOOD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back