Screw your global warming, this is the REAL threat!

westwall

WHEN GUNS ARE BANNED ONLY THE RICH WILL HAVE GUNS
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2010
Nevada
As I have been stating all along, asteroid impacts are truly capable of ending life on this planet, not the myth of global warming. This was a comparatively small meteorite of around 10 tons, it injured at least 1000 people (hopefully none have been killed) and one that is much larger will pass between our planet and geosynchronous satellites later today. I would not be surprised if this impact was related to the one coming.

Below is video of the impact, I recommend you watch it.

LiveLeak.com - Meteorite hits central Russia - Video Collection (16 minutes)

Climate changes,as I prefer to call it, can and will effect the world's population in regards to quality of life. Mandated changes in quality of life for the sake of changes in climate is not warrented.

Asteroids are cool. :thup:

As I have been stating all along, asteroid impacts are truly capable of ending life on this planet, not the myth of global warming. This was a comparatively small meteorite of around 10 tons, it injured at least 1000 people (hopefully none have been killed) and one that is much larger will pass between our planet and geosynchronous satellites later today. I would not be surprised if this impact was related to the one coming.

Some how or another, the neo-Malthusians will find a way to blame that on the activities of industrially advanced man, too. :lol:

The problem here is that this sort of sensational news item is something that people will focus on, instead of more immediate, but less realistic issues. Sort of like how the recent school shooting in CT attracts a lot of attention, when gun-rampages like this kill a fraction of the people auto accidents, cancer, or snowstorms do.

From what I've seen, there are abou 500 people reporting injuries, mostly from broken glass. But what are the odds of a celestial body actually causing real, widespread devastation, and what can we do about it? Anything large enough to be a potential danger is likely already being tracked by NASA. And anything so large that it will end all life on earth is out of our grasp to prepare for anyway.

We have limited resources, and cannot address all potential disasters simultaneously. But IMO, global climate change is the more immediate, and likely the more solvable issue.

For the record, I believe the the earth is in fact warming up. I believe it has been warming up since the end of the last ice age. I do not believe humanity has either the technology, the knowledge, or the cooperation to minutely control global climate shifts. I think that both our country, and our species, will be better served in the long run by becoming more adaptable, instead of trying to maintain the status quo. In essense, we should be prepared to be surprised.

I don't disagree with everything the climate-change alarmists are trying to accomplish, I just think they are going about it the wrong way. You can make good arguments for increasing efficiency, or reducing polution. Strict regulations on industry to probably make the global temperature half a degree less than it would have been is a much tougher sell. In other words, I think that large parts of the environmental movement would have more support if they hired a better PR department.

Last edited:
The problem here is that this sort of sensational news item is something that people will focus on, instead of more immediate, but less realistic issues. Sort of like how the recent school shooting in CT attracts a lot of attention, when gun-rampages like this kill a fraction of the people auto accidents, cancer, or snowstorms do.

From what I've seen, there are abou 500 people reporting injuries, mostly from broken glass. But what are the odds of a celestial body actually causing real, widespread devastation, and what can we do about it? Anything large enough to be a potential danger is likely already being tracked by NASA. And anything so large that it will end all life on earth is out of our grasp to prepare for anyway.

We have limited resources, and cannot address all potential disasters simultaneously. But IMO, global climate change is the more immediate, and likely the more solvable issue.

For the record, I believe the the earth is in fact warming up. I believe it has been warming up since the end of the last ice age. I do not believe humanity has either the technology, the knowledge, or the cooperation to minutely control global climate shifts. I think that both our country, and our species, will be better served in the long run by becoming more adaptable, instead of trying to maintain the status quo. In essense, we should be prepared to be surprised.

I don't disagree with everything the climate-change alarmists are trying to accomplish, I just think they are going about it the wrong way. You can make good arguments for increasing efficiency, or reducing polution. Strict regulations on industry to probably make the global temperature half a degree less than it would have been is a much tougher sell. In other words, I think that large parts of the environmental movement would have more support if they hired a better PR department.

An even bigger rock is passing us by right now. We can stop one of these from hitting us IF we know it's coming. The problem is no one is really looking hard for them. Instead, countless billions is being wasted on research into a gas that is the fundamental building block of all life on this planet.

One numbskull claims he is a carbon warrior and wants to ban it! He's 18% carbon so I guess he should start by killing himself. OF course the carbon won't care and it will simply be recycled.

This is the first time in the history of the planet where we can prevent one of these hitting us. And we sit around like Nero.

Don't have to hire a PR dept. The weather and cryosphere are going to do that for us.

Indeed. The Antarctic just set a record for ice cover....IN THE MIDDLE OF SUMMER!

An even bigger rock is passing us by right now. We can stop one of these from hitting us IF we know it's coming. The problem is no one is really looking hard for them. Instead, countless billions is being wasted on research into a gas that is the fundamental building block of all life on this planet.

One numbskull claims he is a carbon warrior and wants to ban it! He's 18% carbon so I guess he should start by killing himself. OF course the carbon won't care and it will simply be recycled.

This is the first time in the history of the planet where we can prevent one of these hitting us. And we sit around like Nero.

Read this

I'm pretty sure that NASA and probably more NGOs are busy tracking evey extra terrestrial object than can find, because it's an important part of their research. My point was that the odds of something hitting us that is large enough to endanger humanity and can't be turned back with current technology are tiny.

In the meantime, there are much more pressing issues here on earth that we need to deal with first, and if we divert resources to an anti-asteroid system, we'll still be staring at the stars while everything around us crumbles. So overall, the plan would be like counting on winning the lottery to solve your financial issues.

For full disclosure, I would actually make many of the same arguments about global warming, as compared to other social and economic problems.

Don't have to hire a PR dept. The weather and cryosphere are going to do that for us.

Indeed. The Antarctic just set a record for ice cover....IN THE MIDDLE OF SUMMER!

Really? By the analomy chart, it doesn't look much like a record;

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IMAGES/seaice.anomaly.antarctic.png

In fact, 2003 was about this low at it's minimum, and the ice is still declining at present.

However, when one looks at this chart, you can see real movement in the minimums.

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IMAGES/seaice.area.arctic.png

This is a good illustration of the lack of logical thinking ability that causes someone to get sucked into the right-wing-fringe cult and its denialist commandments. It actually is possible to both search for asteroids and take action on warming, but the fringers can't fathom such a concept. Since they themselves are unable to walk and chew gum at the same time, they assume the rest of humanity must be similarly handicapped.

Russians recovering from meteorite strike...
:eusa_eh:
Meteor-broken windows in Russian city being fixed
Feb 17,`13 -- Authorities in a Russian city say more than half of the acres of windows smashed in the city by an exploding meteor's shock wave have been replaced.
Friday's explosion, estimated to be equivalent to several atomic bombs, shattered glass in more than 4,000 buildings in Chelyabinsk and the surrounding region, leaving residents vulnerable in temperatures well below freezing.

About 1,200 people were injured, mostly by broken glass, with 40 still hospitalized Sunday, the ITAR-Tass news agency said, citing Emergency Ministry figures.

The Chelyabinsk city administration said in a Sunday statement that nearly 60 percent of the city's broken windows had been replaced.

Pieces of the meteor are believed to have fallen into an ice-covered lake about 80 kilometers (50 miles) outside the city, but no fragments have been reported found.

Source

See also:

Russia scientists call for action after space rock blast
February 16, 2013 - As Russian authorities searched Saturday for remnants of the space object that startled residents of the southern Ural Mountain region a day earlier, scientists called its shock wave a loud warning that they hoped would inspire action to prevent potential catastrophes.
“When a small piece of rock would fall on the Earth 100 years ago, it could have caused minimal damage and would have stayed largely undetected, but Friday’s accident fully demonstrated how vulnerable the technological civilization of today has become,” Vladimir Lipunov, head of the Space Monitoring Laboratory with Moscow State University, said in an interview. “It is high time Russia should start heavily investing in building an advanced space danger monitoring and warning system, and above that, a system capable of destroying such super bombs falling on us from the skies,” he added.

The scientist’s remarks echoed concern displayed by government officials. “Today neither Russia nor the United States is capable of shooting down objects from outer space,” tweeted Dmitry Rogozin, vice premier in charge of the nation’s defense industry. What NASA described as a “tiny asteroid” wreaked havoc in the densely populated and highly industrialized Chelyabinsk region early Friday, its shock wave resulting in injuries to more than 1,100 people and costing millions of dollars in damage to buildings and disrupted phone and Internet communications.

The massive sonic boom damaged 3,000 houses, 34 hospitals and clinics, and 360 schools, as well as several businesses, officials said. At least three hockey games were canceled because of damage to the local rink. Regional Gov. Mikhail Yurevich told reporters Saturday that damage exceeded $33 million but that 30 percent of the windows broken by the shock wave had already been replaced. About 20,000 municipal employees, emergency workers and volunteers worked round the clock to fix the windows in a region where the overnight temperature fell to minus-4 degrees Fahrenheit.

Police have collected several small pieces of a black rock-like substance believed to be from the space object that broke apart as it exploded over the area, Interfax reported. Divers finished their initial inspection of Chebarkul Lake, about 40 miles west of Chelyabinsk, but found no traces of the object, a big chunk of which was believed to have fallen into the lake, breaking the thick ice. The Chelyabinsk region has long been one of the most important military industrial regions of Russia, where you “can’t drive a mile without passing a defense or a nuclear industry installation,” Lipunov said. “We should be thankful to fate that this meteor, in fact, was a blessing in disguise, and instead of destroying a significant part of Russia with quite dire consequences to the rest of the world, it sent us a clear warning signal by simply blowing up a bunch of windows and lightly injuring over 1,000 people,” the scientist added.

MORE

Really? By the analomy chart, it doesn't look much like a record;

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IMAGES/seaice.anomaly.antarctic.png

In fact, 2003 was about this low at it's minimum, and the ice is still declining at present.

However, when one looks at this chart, you can see real movement in the minimums.

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IMAGES/seaice.area.arctic.png

antarctic_sea_ice_extent_zoomed_2013_day_43_1981-2010.png

This is a good illustration of the lack of logical thinking ability that causes someone to get sucked into the right-wing-fringe cult and its denialist commandments. It actually is possible to both search for asteroids and take action on warming, but the fringers can't fathom such a concept. Since they themselves are unable to walk and chew gum at the same time, they assume the rest of humanity must be similarly handicapped.

Wonderful post, and I couldn't agree more.

It's especially strange that the OP claims to be a scientist, but seems to fall into every beginner's trap on Science Street.

Project much? :lmao:

And THIS is a good example of the kind of knee-jerk reaction that leads to bitter arguments and halts any actual progress of discussion.

The OP never mentioned politics or political affiliation at all, and your (good) point about splitting our focus and not getting tunnel-vission is overshadowed by your baseless assumptions and namecalling.

I'm all in for a planetary defense screen using nukes.

Trouble is you folks would rather spend money on stupid wars.

And THIS is a good example of the kind of knee-jerk reaction that leads to bitter arguments and halts any actual progress of discussion.

The OP never mentioned politics or political affiliation at all, and your (good) point about splitting our focus and not getting tunnel-vission is overshadowed by your baseless assumptions and namecalling.

The OP is a climate change denier.

Anyone around here long enough knows that.

Trouble is that sanctimonious wankers like you have zero compunction against blowing money on stupid foreign wars.

Pot....Kettle.

Trouble is that sanctimonious wankers like you have zero compunction against blowing money on stupid foreign wars.

Pot....Kettle.

:lol:

Get that tank of gas, Max.

Forum List

Back