Scott Walker plans major welfare overhaul in Wisconsin

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
are they gonna try to recall him again?

someone wants to be president in 2024!

Scott Walker plans major welfare overhaul in Wisconsin

Walker’s plan, “Wisconsin Works for Everyone,” would impose new work requirements on both able-bodied adults with school-age children who receive state food assistance and those who receive housing assistance. Both work plans, which would be tested on a pilot basis, would require recipients to be employed for at least 80 hours per month, or to be enrolled in job training programs. Those who do not meet work requirements would see part of their benefits cut.

How are you going to define able-bodied, and "school age" and how do you deal with people who cannot afford after-school childcare or summer daycare for their kids?

In addition to creating a hardship for some of those people, doing all that means-testing will cost money. Will it actually SAVE money over the current welfare reform? If not, it's just a vindictive "I hate the poors" political move by a shady political operative who's already unpopular in his own state.

These welfare/food stamp reforms and monitoring (like the drug tests in FL) have been found repeatedly to be money-wasters. So you can cheerlead this all you want, but don't call yourself "fiscally conservative" if you do.

And apparently they're not too great at helping all these people getting kicked off public assistance find jobs.

From your source:

Other experts said expanding job training is critical to helping those on welfare lift themselves out of poverty — though identifying the right types of job training programs can be tricky.

“This is the kind of thing that is quite difficult, and government often does not do a great job,” said Ron Haskins, a senior fellow in economics at the Brookings Institution and a former adviser to President George W. Bush. “It’s got to be a carefully tailored program.”

• Banned
How are you going to define able-bodied, and "school age" and how do you deal with people who cannot afford after-school childcare or summer daycare for their kids?

In addition to creating a hardship for some of those people, doing all that means-testing will cost money. Will it actually SAVE money over the current welfare reform? If not, it's just a vindictive "I hate the poors" political move by a shady political operative who's already unpopular in his own state.

These welfare/food stamp reforms and monitoring (like the drug tests in FL) have been found repeatedly to be money-wasters. So you can cheerlead this all you want, but don't call yourself "fiscally conservative" if you do.

the Gingrich welfare reform on 96 was tremendously successful in liftin folks out of poverty.

You are not equal. The outcome in your life isn't guaranteed. You want something? Go out and earn it. That's what makes America great.

Even if it isn't cost effective in the short run, it may stop the culture of dependents from laying at home waiting for their checks.

Wi has become a failed state under him , 35th in job creation. Many uninsured. Ryan is from there.

• Banned
there is only 1 kind of freedom and that's INDIVIDUAL LIBERTY. our lives come from our creator and our rights come from our creator. government can't grant anything. government can't grant anything. GOVERNMENT CAN'T GRANT ANYTHING.

there is only 1 kind of freedom and that's INDIVIDUAL LIBERTY. our lives come from our creator and our rights come from our creator. government can't grant anything. government can't grant anything. GOVERNMENT CAN'T GRANT ANYTHING.
I can grant you a place in the veggie garden to help turn the soil next month...

Since he took office my property taxes have gone up every year. I hope he has a plan for paying for job training. I voted for the college dropout twice.....never again.

Working for a minimum wage company should not be an option. Those jobs only hurt this nation.

Yep....reminds me of a little weasel...corporate shill puppet. And we wonder why jobs are leaving this state.

the Gingrich welfare reform on 96 was tremendously successful in liftin folks out of poverty.

You are not equal. The outcome in your life isn't guaranteed. You want something? Go out and earn it. That's what makes America great.

It also tended to kill people:

More money, fewer lives: the cost effectiveness of welfare reform in the United States. - PubMed - NCBI

Your 2nd sentence is just an obnoxious troll.

Yep....reminds me of a little weasel...corporate shill puppet. And we wonder why jobs are leaving this state.

at least he's better than Illinois' GOP governor, whose afraid to say Trump's name, afraid to repeal obamacare, and is now raising taxes dramatically.

remember that you live in a liberal state!

No, I don't. I don't define myself as red or blue only people inferior to me do. Walker promised no tax increases but he increased them.

I'd rather live where people have an IQ. Go down south..IQ is hard to find. They love their loiw wages and loiloiw work ethics.

Forum List

Back