Score One For The Good Guys: Court Rules Against Traffic Cameras...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
Ohio considering ban

The days of red light and speed cameras at Ohio intersections could be numbered.

A Hamilton County Court judge ruled Thursday that a traffic camera ordinance in a small village near Cincinnati is invalid and unenforceable. Lawmakers are also proposing a state law banning all traffic cameras in Ohio.

Only 2,188 people live in Elmwood Place, according to the 2010 census, but cameras have caught more than 20,000 drivers speeding through town since cameras were installed in September 2012. Civil citations issued for the violations have generated about $1.5 million, according to Police Chief William Peskin. Peskin said the village has kept about $900,000, with the rest going to Maryland-based Optotraffic.

In his decision, Judge Robert Ruehlman noted the lack of signage to warn motorists and that cameras are calibrated only once per year by the for-profit camera operator.

“Elmwood Place is engaged in nothing more than a high-tech game of 3-card Monty,” Ruehlman wrote. “It is a scam that motorists can’t win.”

There’s no state law on the books allowing or prohibiting cameras that detect speeding and red-light violations.

Bipartisan legislation has been introduced to prohibit the traffic cameras in Ohio. Bill sponsor Rep. Ron Maag, R-Lebanon, said sending millions out of Ohio has been a poor business decision and that money would be better spent on law enforcement and public safety.

“For $800,000, you could have two or three officers sitting there, who could protect people from all other mayhem,” Maag said.

The Ohio Supreme Court ruled in 2008 in favor of allowing the cameras, arguing the cameras operated as an extension of local law enforcement. But the court did not address the method of ticketing vehicle owners instead of drivers. Citations are not reported against a motorist’s driving privileges or insurance.

“To me it’s un-American — you are guilty until proven innocent vs. innocent until proven guilty,” Maag said.

Dayton collected about $2.4 million from camera citations in 2012. Dayton keeps about $55 of the $85 civil citation and sends the rest to Phoenix-based RedFlex Traffic Systems...

Read More:
Court rules against traffic cameras; Ohio considering ban | www.whiotv.com
DRUDGE REPORT 2013®

See, Big Brother can lose. But you have to stand up and fight.

That's pretty stupid.

Already cameras are having a positive effect in terms of bringing down people who disobey traffic laws and crime in general.

Knowing that your actions are subject to audit, makes you less likely to break the law.

That's pretty stupid.

Already cameras are having a positive effect in terms of bringing down people who disobey traffic laws and crime in general.

Knowing that your actions are subject to audit, makes you less likely to break the law.

Not surprisingly, you and i disagree on your 'positive effect' assertion.

That's pretty stupid.

It's nothing more than a get rich quick scam for the Cities and States.

Needs to go, everywhere. :clap2:

That's pretty stupid.

Sure.

I view crime reduction in major cities as positive.

You don't.

Disagreeing is fine.

I just hope that people with your agenda don't start setting policy.

That's pretty stupid.

It's nothing more than a get rich quick scam for the Cities and States.

Needs to go, everywhere. :clap2:

Well said.

That's pretty stupid.

Sure.

I view crime reduction in major cities as positive.

You don't.

Disagreeing is fine.

I just hope that people with your agenda don't start setting policy.

Oh, we just might. Hopefully, the times are a changin. :)

One of the funniest things I have heard about the traffic cameras was a prank pulled off by some very clever high school students. When a traffic cam was installed in their town, they went to city hall and copied the license plates numbers of the mayor and other city officials who voted for the cameras.
They then produced copies of those license plates and taped them over their own plates on their cars.
Once they had done that, it was just a matter of carefully running the lights. The cameras did their jobs and then it was just a matter of time before the Mayor and approving city councilmen starting receiving their tickets in the mail.
Their are plenty on sites on the net to duplicate plates for instance ACME License Maker

If they have the money they should hire officers.

If they want to use cameras becuase they are cheaper then a camera is just tool.

You are in public and filming you is jsut fine.

I err on the side of HELPING officers do their jobs but NOT replacing officers

Wow something the waste of skin OP and I can agree with. Those cameras are total bullshit.

That's pretty stupid.

I think there might be a real question of 'the ends justifies the means' here.

Wow something the waste of skin OP and I can agree with. Those cameras are total bullshit.

Aw, pissy Ex-Mod failure bitterness. You're so sad. To actually take the time to type that reply, says so much about you. Such an angry stalker coward. But it's time to get over it. So you're a pissy Ex-Mod failure? We all know that. But it's time for you to move past that. We have. Seriously, get over it. :)

Last edited:
“To me it’s un-American — you are guilty until proven innocent vs. innocent until proven guilty,” Maag said.
I don't understand the guy's logic, these cameras are no different than other civil violations where you can choose to agree to the fine or have your day before the judge to present your case.

Is Maag also against things like parking tickets? We trust the technology of the meter to alert on an infraction, and a citation is issued with an assumption of an acceptance of violation but the offender has the right to contest in court if they choose.

They had them where I live and they shut them off cuz they cost more money to maintain then they made money or stopped people from running red lights.

Turns out most people don't run red lights.

I don't understand the guy's logic, these cameras are no different than other civil violations where you can choose to agree to the fine or have your day before the judge to present your case.

Is Maag also against things like parking tickets? We trust the technology of the meter to alert on an infraction, and a citation is issued with an assumption of an acceptance of violation but the offender has the right to contest in court if they choose.

No, it is totally different since the tickets are issued to the car's owner and not the driver.
The owner may not have been the one driving the car, when the alleged infraction happened. This is a major problem.
The other thing to note is that a few cities where the cameras have been installed have shortened the length of the yellow light specifically to issue more citations.

The solution to traffic cameras consists of a target rifle, some match ammo, and a good sight...maybe try for a thousand-yard patch.

That's pretty stupid.

House to house searches without a warrant would be a great deterrent to drug abuse.

Do you support that?

Forum List

Back