Scorchio !!!

Its not something that we have really needed over here. I have worked in places that had a form of A?C but they were pretty crap compared to what you have in the US.
Pubic buildings, hospitals,schools and so on tend to have none. TBH even if they had it they wouldnt be able to afford it. Such is the state of the energy market.
Thirty years ago the first few years we were here it was 115 and no windows in the place and only a few trees. Talk about miserable. Weather patterns are always variable and changing through the years.

The cost of energy is ridiculous when CEO's are giving themselves multiple millions raisies and bonuses and claiming to the Utilities boards that they need price hikes and they want the tax dollars for building new lines, etc.

Ours is heading this way in the coming week(s). Nineties then upward and no rain in the forecast for awhile so the garden may suffer if water tables lower too much by next month.
Do you use a sprinkler to water the garden?

Record temps in the UK today as 41 is recorded in some places.I know my American friends will chuckle but we arent used to this sort of thing.

Schools are closing and trains arent running. The country has come to a standstill.
Now we are out of the EU we can use our British grit and channel our Dunkirk spirit.

We can come through this. Stronger and more tanned.

Pray for us.
Ho!y cow, that's 105F!!!

We have not gone above 85 degrees this summer, mostly high 70s. I'm grateful to live on the coast, in Maine.....

Most of the rest of the country is steaming hot!

Do you use a sprinkler to water the garden?
No. We have a well but it wouldn't put out enough to water a garden if it gets too hot. I save rain water in totes and we have a pond to draw from if needed. Had rural water put on but after getting a bill for over three hundred from watering garden I told them shut it off and we'd use what God provides. They told me I couldn't do that and was obligated to use their water for three years. I wrote a check for the bare minimum for three years and sent it to them and told them turn it off now. I should have listened to my instincts and refused the shit in the first place. The county guy tried to convince me to fill our well when we first got this place. I told him he must be loony.

No. We have a well but it wouldn't put out enough to water a garden if it gets too hot. I save rain water in totes and we have a pond to draw from if needed. Had rural water put on but after getting a bill for over three hundred from watering garden I told them shut it off and we'd use what God provides. They told me I couldn't do that and was obligated to use their water for three years. I wrote a check for the bare minimum for three years and sent it to them and told them turn it off now. I should have listened to my instincts and refused the shit in the first place. The county guy tried to convince me to fill our well when we first got this place. I told him he must be loony.
Try using soaker hoses and a lot of mulch such as hay or cardboard in your vegetable garden

The much will lower ground temperatures and conserve water

While the soaker hose is a very efficient way to water

Try using soaker hoses and a lot of mulch such as hay or cardboard in your vegetable garden

The much will lower ground temperatures and conserve water

While the soaker hose is a very efficient way to water
I use old paper, cardboard, magazines, etc in garden *plus dirty animal bedding from goose or chickens). We have a huge yard and at one time had flowers planted on about a half acre of it. Just residues of the flowers here and there now and I only plant a few veggies and in containers.

I have plenty of water if needed. The pond is spring fed. I spent one whole summer soaking in that back around 2010 because it was so dang hot. Now though we had tons of Catfish in it and a Beaver family moved in. Even so I can draw water from it if needed.

My pond.PNG

Hot in the summer cold in the winter....
What has happened to our climate?....OMG...
Anxiety Attack GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Hot in the summer cold in the winter....
What has happened to our climate?....OMG...
Anxiety Attack GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
These are historically high temperatures and lethal in areas without AC.

Its been over 100 every day in Central Texas since the end of May. Thats never happened in recorded history.

These are historically high temperatures and lethal in areas without AC.

Its been over 100 every day in Central Texas since the end of May. Thats never happened in recorded history.
The earth is always and has always set record highs and lows... that will never change... the thing that does change are the doomsday predictions of the global warming nuts... we still have islands none have been flooded like they said and we still have icebergs and polar bears....

Thats great. It literally has nothing to do with this thread, which is about record temperatures in Europe.

Record temps in the UK today as 41 is recorded in some places.I know my American friends will chuckle but we arent used to this sort of thing.

Schools are closing and trains arent running. The country has come to a standstill.
Now we are out of the EU we can use our British grit and channel our Dunkirk spirit.

Pray for us.

Sort of. Isn't that we are used to it so much as it is we are better prepared for it here in the south. Air conditioning is as necessary as bathrooms. When I was a young one, we lived in a house with no central AC system and once it crossed 100°F it was unbearable. A lot depends on what happens at night. If it cools off, you are fine. If it is still 90°+ at midnight, you are in trouble.

Lucky for us our media is on the case and giving out useful advice.

You can improvise a swamp cooler to be an Ac unit if you want. Basically you just blow the fan air across ice if you have that. Wet towel over the back of the neck helps for like 5 minutes than you are just wet and miserable. You can always go to the grocery and stand in front of the ice cream freezer with the door open.

You can improvise a swamp cooler to be an Ac unit if you want. Basically you just blow the fan air across ice if you have that. Wet towel over the back of the neck helps for like 5 minutes than you are just wet and miserable. You can always go to the grocery and stand in front of the ice cream freezer with the door open.
To be honest I am coping quite well. I have just sent Mrs T to the shop to buy some more cans. Ive got enough beer for today but I am not taking a risk onbeer outages tomorrow.
This is a time when having a beer strategy is vital. Something that only comes with maturity.

Pray for us.
It's embarrassing, I've been on hotter holidays.

Its not something that we have really needed over here. I have worked in places that had a form of A?C but they were pretty crap compared to what you have in the US.
Pubic buildings, hospitals,schools and so on tend to have none. TBH even if they had it they wouldnt be able to afford it. Such is the state of the energy market.
Maybe that's the case in Wales, in the developed countries of England and Scotland, there are plenty of places with air con.

Forum List

Back