Scorchio !!!

I think they even had water shortages. Had to queue up with buckets.
Yes, I was abroad and missed it but so it seems. However it was nowhere near as warm as we are getting now

The hottest temperature in 1976 was recorded in Cheltenham on 3 July as 35.9°C, with people struggling in sweltering heat during the summer. There have been higher temperatures in the UK since - perhaps due to global warming - but what made that year so remarkable was the lack of rain that accompanied the hot weather and a sun that didn't stop shining

I remember hearing last night that apart from that, one of the other big differences was that it was just the UK then. Now it is all of Europe. Been going on in Spain since early Spring. Last night they were saying we are getting now the sort of weather they did not expect until the 50's.

FFF3F984-434D-4037-B7E0-D4132F922E4D.png

:cool:

That was another thing they were talking about last night. Roads in the States are made out of special material which stops them getting too hot. In the UK and Europe, not so.

In France, nothing is melting. Because of the components used in the materials.

We are ruled by a bunch of cretins.

In France, nothing is melting. Because of the components used in the materials.

We are ruled by a bunch of cretins.
I don't think they were really talking about it melting. More things like getting too hot to walk on or possibly burning tyres. So is France prepared for this?

Yes, we all know.

Many people have some variation of "the weather here changes a lot". I have heard the British say this and...I'm not so sure. I think sunny/rainy/grey/kinda warm/kinda cool rather covers it. Maybe a little hail or snow at some point.

Meanwhile in the American Midwest, it's not unusual for us to have multiple days of 95 degrees in the summer and multiple days of subzero degrees in the winter. Add to that big snowfalls and all the wild swings of temperatures that come from the spread of temps you see above, from our summer and winter temp difference. Oh, and tornadoes.

So I get that this is hot and the 6 inches of snow you get is a big deal. On the other hand---for us--meh.

Many people have some variation of "the weather here changes a lot". I have heard the British say this and...I'm not so sure. I think sunny/rainy/grey/kinda warm/kinda cool rather covers it. Maybe a little hail or snow at some point.

Meanwhile in the American Midwest, it's not unusual for us to have multiple days of 95 degrees in the summer and multiple days of subzero degrees in the winter. Add to that big snowfalls and all the wild swings of temperatures that come from the spread of temps you see above, from our summer and winter temp difference. Oh, and tornadoes.

So I get that this is hot and the 6 inches of snow you get is a big deal. On the other hand---for us--meh.
They are talking about parts of England possibly going up to 109 F today. However, yes, in general you are more used to extremes than us. That is why this is believed to be a big problem. Not because we are all sissy's as some have been saying but because we are not prepared for it. We lack air conditioning and our houses are not built to deal with it, nor our roads - at least one started melting yesterday. Then even at night the temperatures are staying high. Last night we were told that we could see thousands of deaths next week. That is not because we are weaklings. It is because of the conditions. The elderly, those with heart and breathing problems and babies are seen as those most at risk.

That's the embarrassing thing here, starts to get high twenties celsius some Brits flake out, into the high thirties, schools start closing and trains stop running. Then the same below zero.

It never used to be like this, it's as though society has now become soft.

They are talking about parts of England possibly going up to 109 F today. However, yes, in general you are more used to extremes than us. That is why this is believed to be a big problem. Not because we are all sissy's as some have been saying but because we are not prepared for it. We lack air conditioning and our houses are not built to deal with it, nor our roads - at least one started melting yesterday. Then even at night the temperatures are staying high. Last night we were told that we could see thousands of deaths next week. That is not because we are weaklings. It is because of the conditions. The elderly, those with heart and breathing problems and babies are seen as those most at risk.

You'll note that I didn't say "high temperatures are no big deal". I said British folks make a big deal about their wildly swinging weather and I just don't see it.

109...are you sure about that? That's not just the range of converting Celsius to Fahrenheit, or the heat index? An actual temperature of 109 is difficult to reach outside of say, the tropics or the desert.

That's the embarrassing thing here, starts to get high twenties celsius some Brits flake out, into the high thirties, schools start closing and trains stop running. Then the same below zero.

It never used to be like this, it's as though society has now become soft.

Your schools are in session now? Do your students get summer holidays or no?

Your schools are in session now? Do your students get summer holidays or no?
In England, I think the last day of school is tomorrow, 20 July, and they go back 7 Sept. I think in Scotland, they broke up a week or two sooner, and then go back a week or two sooner.

It means living in North England / Southern Scotland, we used to fly from Glasgow on holiday when the Scottish kids were back at school and ours hadn't yet. Cheaper holiday and quieter airport

Last edited:

Forum List

Back