Scientists of Color

I want to talk about a favorite mathematician of mine this time. His name is Srinivasa Ramanujan. He was born in 1887 in a town called Erode in Southern India. He died at a young age of 32. But in that short span of his life, he did remarkable work in Mathematics. Great mathematicians like Hardy place him in the league of Euler and Gauss. He focused so much on math that he ignored all other subjects and the result was his expulsion from the college. He proceeded his research on his own without any training at a major university while working as a clerk at a shipping company.

Since he did his work in isolation, he did not know that many of his research were already done by other mathematicians. He wrote a letter to Hardy claiming the ownership of what was known to mathematicians at that time as Laplace's theorem. Hardy was amused by this but he noted the approach was distinct. Furthermore Ramanujan added few other stuffs in that letter which were sufficient enough to intrigue Hardy. He invited Ramanujan to England to work at Cambridge University.

Hardy worked with Ramanujan to build eloquent proofs of Ramanujan's work in other word Hardy introduced him to the concept of what mathematicians call rigor. This is where Ramanujan's work on mathematical analysis, number theory, infinite series, and continued fractions started to reach rest of the world.

England's cold weather took a toll on his health. He returned to India because he did not want to die in England. On his death bed, he grabbed a notebook and wrote 17 new functions of mock modular forms. He died before he could produce the rigor to support his work. It took 90 years for mathematicians to solve his functions. But now, all his functions are accepted to be true.

In the days of Ramanujan, there was not much use for his work because he mostly dealt with numbers approaching infinity. But now a days his mock modular forms help physicists compute the entropy, or level of disorder of black holes.

He was by far the greatest mathematician of the 20th century and this century has yet to produce someone like him.

I also wanted to mention two great American mathematicians Bruce Berndt and Ken Ono who worked to prove that Ramanujan's functions on mock modular forms were correct.

If you want to find out more about him then read a very entertaining book called The Man Who Knew Infinity: A Life of the Genius by Robert Kanigel. It is a very entertaining book and you do not have to be mathematician to enjoy it.

Let me give you a very simple anecdote by Hardy to illustrate his genius:

I remember once going to see him when he was ill at Putney. I had ridden in taxi cab number 1729 and remarked that the number seemed to me rather a dull one, and that I hoped it was not an unfavorable omen. "No," he replied, "it is a very interesting number; it is the smallest number expressible as the sum of two cubes in two different ways."

The two different ways are

1729 = 13 + 123 = 93 + 103.

Mathematicians have generalized this idea to create the notion what is known as taxicab numbers.

I am posting a few links for you below in case you are curious to know more about him.

Researchers Unlock Formula By Mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan - Business Insider

Srinivasa Ramanujan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/The-Man-Who-Knew-Infinity/dp/0671750615]The Man Who Knew Infinity: A Life of the Genius Ramanujan: Robert Kanigel: 9780671750619: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

Panini

Let us brush off the dust and get this thread going again. In a sequel to my last post about a great Indian mathematician of the last century, I want to write about another brilliant logician. His name is Panini. He lived in the 4th century BCE in the ancient India. He did series of work to remove context based dependencies from the grammar of Sanskrit, a language spoken in ancient India. The end result was what Noam Chomsky calls the first solid attempt at generative grammar.

When you are issuing instructions to another human, you can count on the human to infer the context and based on that context, the human can make a sense of the instructions even if the instructions are somewhat unclear.However, you cannot do this with machines; at least, they have limitations when it comes to deducing the context. As machines started to become indispensable part of our lives, it became necessary to come up with languages in which instructions for machines could be written.

European scholoars became familiar with Panini's work in the 19th century for the first time. Frits Staal, a dutch logician argued that the ancient Indian grammarians, especially Panini, had completely mastered methods of linguistic theory not rediscovered again until the 1950s and the applications of modern mathematical logic to linguistics by Noam Chomsky. Panini's concept of generative grammar was applied to build notations such as BNF that are basis for modern computer programming languages.

You can read more about Panini here:
P??ini - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can read history of evelopment of BNF here:
Backus?Naur Form - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can read more about generative grammar here:
Generative grammar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Recognition of mathematical pattern by humans is a testament to the success of evolution - matter became aware of its own existence. This started a never ending quest for knowledge. It always fascinates me to learn that ancient/medieval humans could learn so much without any of the modern tools at their disposal.

In my post today, I want to introduce you to a medieval mathematician from India by the name of Bhaskaracharya. He was born in 1114AD. He wrote four books containing original works in the fields of arithmetic, algebra, geometry of spheres and planetary motions. He is credited for defining properties of zero, estimation of pi and formulation of quadratic equation among few other algebraic treatises of his.

One of his treatise on Bijaganita (algebra) contains this formula:
if f(a) = f(b) = 0 then f '(x) = 0 for some x with a < x< b
which was wrongly attributed to Michel Rolle who rediscovered it few centuries later.

The link below summarizes his work effectively.

8 V. Bhaskaracharya II

I want to end this post with a quote from his book called Lilavati:

A particle of tuition conveys science to a comprehensive mind: and having reached it, expands of its own impulse. As oil poured on water, as a secret entrusted to the vile, as alms bestowed upon the worthy, however little, so does science infused into a wise mind spread by intrinsic force.

Last edited:
Oh hell. When you brought up this subject the name that comes to my mind is George Washington Carver. If you love peanut butter as I do, you'll see why.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington_Carver

He was probably one of my first favorite scientists. Not only did he do a lot of good things with peanuts, but he also introduced crop rotation to the farmers so they didn't end up wearing out the land.

I also find it shameful that some white farmers would refuse to use his techniques (and eventually wear out their land), simply because he was Afro-American.

Incidentally, did you know that he could have left the research he was doing at the college he worked at and gone to work for a corporation at a much higher pay level? He refused, and stayed where he was because the research was more important to him than money.

Neil deGrasse Tyson is another one of my favorite scientists, and so is one of his colleagues (an Asian) named Michio Kaku. Not only are both able to explain very complex ideas about physics and break them down into simple terms, but both can be quite entertaining when they want to be.

Anyone else see the episode of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart when Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson was on there, and he told Jon that his logo of the earth spinning was going the wrong direction?

The next time he showed up, Jon didn't run his normal opening footage, rather had a globe that was spun by hand, and even then he couldn't win, because Dr. Tyson told him that he'd spun the planet too fast.

The greatest black "scientists" have come from America

I have a request for all posters. Please leave racism out of this thread. This thread was created to celebrate accomplishments of scientists of color. Let us focus on that. If you want, you are welcome to include white scientists in this thread since white too is a color.

I have a request for all posters. Please leave racism out of this thread. This thread was created to celebrate accomplishments of scientists of color. Let us focus on that. If you want, you are welcome to include white scientists in this thread since white too is a color.

It would be nice if racism was left out of all threads but now that the racists are out from under their rocks, it will be along time before we're rid of them.

Oh hell. When you brought up this subject the name that comes to my mind is George Washington Carver. If you love peanut butter as I do, you'll see why.

He was probably one of my first favorite scientists. Not only did he do a lot of good things with peanuts, but he also introduced crop rotation to the farmers so they didn't end up wearing out the land.

I also find it shameful that some white farmers would refuse to use his techniques (and eventually wear out their land), simply because he was Afro-American.

Incidentally, did you know that he could have left the research he was doing at the college he worked at and gone to work for a corporation at a much higher pay level? He refused, and stayed where he was because the research was more important to him than money.

Neil deGrasse Tyson is another one of my favorite scientists, and so is one of his colleagues (an Asian) named Michio Kaku. Not only are both able to explain very complex ideas about physics and break them down into simple terms, but both can be quite entertaining when they want to be.

Anyone else see the episode of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart when Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson was on there, and he told Jon that his logo of the earth spinning was going the wrong direction?

The next time he showed up, Jon didn't run his normal opening footage, rather had a globe that was spun by hand, and even then he couldn't win, because Dr. Tyson told him that he'd spun the planet too fast.

Dr. deGrasse Tyson has a most charming way of making science interesting and available to the rest of us.

Asian -- What was the man's name who hosted/hosts Nova? Love him as well.

I don't think I've even written something so racist as this

I don't think I've even written something so racist as this

This thread is way above your head. But you are not even smart enough to know that and keep out.

Dr. deGrasse Tyson has a most charming way of making science interesting and available to the rest of us.

Asian -- What was the man's name who hosted/hosts Nova? Love him as well.

I love Neil Degrasse Tyson. I know that he hosted Nova as well.

On a side note, it must be depressing for Tank to see the names of such brilliant African Americans, while he's just a nobody posting stupid shit on a message board.

Hey aaronleland, why is the white hand on top?

I think these are the top ten Scientists

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-3JV43EqZ8]The Top 10 List of Famous Scientists - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
If you have studied physics and chemistry on a university level then you probably already are familiar with terms like Raman Effect and Raman Scattering. But, I will give a brief introduction anyway: when a light wave passes through a transparent medium, some of the incident wave scatters and changes its wavelength. This phenomenon is called Raman Scattering and the process which brings about this change is called Raman Effect.

The terms Raman Effect and Raman Scattering were coined to honor its discoverer, an Indian physicist, CV Raman.

He was awarded Bharat Ratna in 1954 and before that he won Nobel prize for physics in 1930 for his remarkable contribution to the field.

His discovery has found practical application in developing specialized spectroscopes called Raman Spectroscope which are used to observe vibrational, rotational, and other low-frequency modes in a system.

I am posting a few links if you want to read more on the subject.

Short biography of CV Raman:
Venkata Raman - Biographical
C. V. Raman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How Raman Spectroscopy works:
Raman spectroscopy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

You violated the forum rule by posting a media link without including your own comments. So here is your chance, tell us why Leonhard Euler or Carl Friedrich Gauss did not make your list. There are some awesome figures in your list but terming them the top 10 without providing any supporting arguments is in bad spirit.

BTW, did you know that one of the scientists in your top ten list is Charles Darwin? I thought you did not believe in evolution. This tells me very clearly that you did not even watch the video you posted.

Why not just keep out of this thread if you do not want to contribute anything meaningful?

Forum List

Back