science, the human brain and magic mushrooms

Truthmatters

Diamond Member
May 10, 2007
Magic mushrooms trip up brain activity - Technology & science - Science - LiveScience - msnbc.com

Quieting the brain
Psilocybin, the chemical that gives mushrooms their trippy properties, has long-lasting effects beyond the initial high. A recent Johns Hopkins University study found that a single experience with psilocybin in a controlled environment can alter personality long-term, making people more open to new experiences.

"Healthy people given psilocybin often describe their experiences as among the most meaningful of their whole lives, comparable to such things as the birth of their first child or getting married," Carhart-Harris said. "We wanted to know what is going on in people's brains to produce such profound effects."

• Banned
The usefulness in the treatment of PTSD is becoming clearer and clearer

• Banned
Ron Paul has too many other BAD ideas along with his few good ones

• Banned
The decreases were focused in regions that serve as crossroads for information in the brain, meaning that information may flow more freely in a brain on mushrooms. The findings could be useful in developing hallucinogenic treatments for some mental disorders.

"There is increasing evidence that the regions affected are responsible for giving us our sense of self," study author Robin Carhart-Harris, a postdoctoral researcher at Imperial College London, wrote in an email to LiveScience.

"In other words, the regions affected make up what some people call our 'ego.' That activity decreases in the 'ego-network' supports what people often say about psychedelics, that they temporarily 'dissolve the ego.'"

• Banned
Many Idian tribes had rituals that they partook in to become an adult that involved a "guided trip" by the persons elders.

I think this country needs to restart this ritual.

The decreases were focused in regions that serve as crossroads for information in the brain, meaning that information may flow more freely in a brain on mushrooms. The findings could be useful in developing hallucinogenic treatments for some mental disorders.

"There is increasing evidence that the regions affected are responsible for giving us our sense of self," study author Robin Carhart-Harris, a postdoctoral researcher at Imperial College London, wrote in an email to LiveScience.

"In other words, the regions affected make up what some people call our 'ego.' That activity decreases in the 'ego-network' supports what people often say about psychedelics, that they temporarily 'dissolve the ego.'"

need to be careful when dealing with mental disorders, sense they tend to lack the ability to properly communicate.

real reality can be a little too much for some people.

Many Idian tribes had rituals that they partook in to become an adult that involved a "guided trip" by the persons elders.

I think this country needs to restart this ritual.

:lol:

Vote for Ron Paul. No one else is going to give up those laws.

Voluntary or mandatory?

Either way; At what age? since this is an adult passage, the person would be considered an adult at the end.

Being a survivor of the LSD wars of the late 60's, all I can say is that hallucinogenics tend to leave one psychologically brittle.

I do not doubt that they change one's POV about existence and being, though.

A serious trip, if nothing else, informs you that who you are is, to a large extent, dependent on your brain chemistry.

That revelation, that understanding about being and self is, I think, probably the best thing one can get out of tripping.

Basically I think taking that trip probably isn't worth the price of passage.

But that didn't stop me when I was young and it won't stop people who as yet haven't experienced that event, either.

I think I'm a wiser person for having tripped.

I am not entirely sure, however, that tripping was the wisest (and certainly not the only) way to learn that lesson.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: del
It is not meant for recreation.

Its meant for very carefully supervised expansions of ones self.

I took acid twice when I was in my late teens.

I throughly enjoyed BOTH times and did not have any great epifany.

I at arround 20 said to myself that I liked the drug too much and would never take it again.

I still have never done it again.

I think I was born with a certain type of brain that can access more freely the parts of my brain that these drugs highlight.

I think there are many walking this earth who would be much happier and loving beings if they could experience once or twice this type of brain exploration.

Playing with this drug as a toy is a bad plan.

Im talking about a tradition of adults having a very well supervised and guided walk throught their brain for the purpose of making them better human beings.

I don't doubt that the shock to the system of dropping ACID might have positive effects on some people.

So will giving electroshock to some people be benficial.

But I am highly dubious that this stuff is a good tool for psychiatic problems.

It could be but I think there's like no guarantees that it will solve anybody's mental health issues.

I don't doubt that the shock to the system of dropping ACID might have positive effects on some people.

So will giving electroshock to some people be benficial.

But I am highly dubious that this stuff is a good tool for psychiatic problems.

It could be but I think there's like no guarantees that it will solve anybody's mental health issues.

then you are ignoring the medical findings

Many Idian tribes did this for generations and generations with sucessful results

Forum List

Back