Schools in Illinois now have access to kids' social media passwords

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
I don't live in Illinois, but I would just love for my son's school to try and pull this shit with me and see how that turns out for them.

A new law approved by Illinois legislators now can demand a student's social media password.
According to KTVI, Illinois schools could only take action against bullying if the post on Facebook or other social media occurred during the school day. The new law gives school districts and colleges the ability to demand a student's social media password regardless if it was posted after hours.
Some parents have already received letters from the schools to notify them of the new rules.

Schools in Illinois now have access to kids social media... www.kirotv.com

I don't live in Illinois, but I would just love for my son's school to try and pull this shit with me and see how that turns out for them.

A new law approved by Illinois legislators now can demand a student's social media password.
According to KTVI, Illinois schools could only take action against bullying if the post on Facebook or other social media occurred during the school day. The new law gives school districts and colleges the ability to demand a student's social media password regardless if it was posted after hours.
Some parents have already received letters from the schools to notify them of the new rules.

Bullying is not PC.

Therefore, we have no rights whatsoever in the War on Bullys.

We will roll over, like we rolled over in the War on Drugs.

Americans do not appreciate their rights, therefore, they lose them.

Illinoise? Domain of BHO? Province of Bill Ayers/ Bernadine Dohrn? Home of Saul Alinsky disciples? Sounds like we're right on schedule. No biggie.

Illinoise? Domain of BHO? Province of Bill Ayers/ Bernadine Dohrn? Home of Saul Alinsky disciples? Sounds like we're right on schedule. No biggie.
Illinois, where a grain farmer needs a special photo ID to buy something as harmless as .22 rat shot.

I had a fight with my youngest and she decided to bitch about it (and me) on twitter. Some kid from her school decided to contact the principal and squeal about what she was saying. Principal called me to 'talk'. I asked why she thought this was any of the school's business. She didn't think it was and said so, that she had to call because she was contacted but it was fine if I didn't want to discuss it. What a kid does outside of school is no business of the schools. If the kids are getting bullied the parents need to step up and parent. There is no way I'd hand over a password for anything to a school. This is bullshit, an invasion of privacy, way over the line.

When there is nothing to hide, nobody minds.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
^ Typical republican
So what do you suggest be done about online bullying?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. Maybe I say "When there's nothing to hide, nobody minds." because I myself have nothing to hide. Also I don't see anything wrong with being thorough where a matter like this one is concerned.

Last edited:

I loves the police state.

And its all "Constitutional" (wink, wink)

I loves the police state.

And its all "Constitutional" (wink, wink)

It's OK.

It's for "the children".

Don't see an issue here, as bullies don't deserve a free pass in the public sphere. It's an ingenious solution to take control over social media accounts of students pushing others to self-harm or suicide.

They should work harder to stop bullying at school. I don't hear of them ever doing something about it.
Schools push students to visit the local shrink and go to counseling. Though some run a mentoring program run by the oldest kids.

None of those work too well, as most avoid shrinks or counseling as they believe it is weak, or they are insecure about telling others about their problems to other people.

At my school it was mostly verbal shit, though it was the days before social media was a big thing.

In a lot of schools also, it is a popularity thing, meaning a kid has done something to piss off the 'cool kids' or the teachers, so the school turns a blind eye to the 'loner' being bullied.

A lot of teachers are paid not that great as well, especially in public schools, so the attitude is 'meh' or 'I don't get paid for this', and when bad stuff happens the school does damage control.

Then sooner or later you have a columbine, a sandy hook, and so on - as a kid breaks and goes on a rampage.

Don't see an issue here, as bullies don't deserve a free pass in the public sphere. It's an ingenious solution to take control over social media accounts of students pushing others to self-harm or suicide.

As if the schools do not already have enough control.

Define 'bullying'. Name calling, teasing, etc? Nope. Physically doing something harmful? Yup. Must be consistent, not just a random incident.

Forum List

Back