School nurse forced to resign over ebola fears and she hasn't even been to a country

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
where ebola has broken out.

Pure nuttery has taken over the country.

T"he school had asked Sherman to take a paid "precautionary leave" of absence of 21 days upon her return from her trip after "strong parent concerns" about Ebola. It also asked Sherman, who is a registered nurse, to provide a doctor's note stating she was in good health.

There have been no reported cases of Ebola in Kenya. Indeed, the archdiocese, in a statement released last month regarding Sherman's trip, noted that the Kenyan village where Sherman was working — the remote village of Migori — is "in Eastern Africa, thousands of miles from West Africa, where the main outbreak of the virus is located.""

Parents Ebola fears push Catholic teacher to quit

T"he school had asked Sherman to take a paid "precautionary leave" of absence of 21 days upon her return from her trip after "strong parent concerns" about Ebola. It also asked Sherman, who is a registered nurse, to provide a doctor's note stating she was in good health.

There have been no reported cases of Ebola in Kenya. Indeed, the archdiocese, in a statement released last month regarding Sherman's trip, noted that the Kenyan village where Sherman was working — the remote village of Migori — is "in Eastern Africa, thousands of miles from West Africa, where the main outbreak of the virus is located.""

Good for her. When I saw "paid leave" i was thinking 21 day vacation to be honest. Then I would have quit.

Good for her. When I saw "paid leave" i was thinking 21 day vacation to be honest. Then I would have quit.
I like to think that she's stood up for her principles.

What a bunch of moronic parents.

No proof that the parents did anything to make the woman quit? For shame Ravi, I thought you were a champion of honesty.

She should have hired a lawyer before quitting. I hope the idiot parents feel better about themselves and wouldn't be surprised if a few of those bed wetters are posters here.

She should have hired a lawyer before quitting. I hope the idiot parents feel better about themselves and wouldn't be surprised if a few of those bed wetters are posters here.

A lawyer for what? Paid leave is no hardship or violation. Your employer, has the perfect right to instruct you to sit in a closet for 8 hours per day if that's how he defines your job. If you no longer like the duties of this job, then you can quit.

A lawyer for what? Paid leave is no hardship or violation. Your employer, has the perfect right to instruct you to sit in a closet for 8 hours per day if that's how he defines your job. If you no longer like the duties of this job, then you can quit.
That's not how her job is defined, dope.

Kenya is at least 2,000 miles from where ebola is. The fear mongers have done a helluva job.

How a job is defined is not up to a vote between employer and employee. The employer defines the job. If the employer says you must take a 3 week paid leave, then that's part of the job.

An attorney is used to instruct you of your rights and the best course of action. There may have been a law preventing what they did that lay people dont know because they arent attorneys.

How a job is defined is not up to a vote between employer and employee. The employer defines the job. If the employer says you must take a 3 week paid leave, then that's part of the job.
Not that simple. Putting her on 3 weeks of leave would cause her to have to play catch up with her class. If her class underperforms it could count against her on a review. Just the threat of an attorney would have probably made the school back down.

Not that simple. Putting her on 3 weeks of leave would cause her to have to play catch up with her class. If her class underperforms it could count against her on a review. Just the threat of an attorney would have probably made the school back down.

The threat of an attorney would have very likely made school officials laugh in her face.

With respect to the scenario that you concocted for this teacher, you can't sue based on a potential bad outcome, she'd have to wait for the end of the year for a bad performance review and then she'd have some basis in fact for suing the school.

The threat of an attorney would have very likely made school officials laugh in her face.

With respect to the scenario that you concocted for this teacher, you can't sue based on a potential bad outcome, she'd have to wait for the end of the year for a bad performance review and then she'd have some basis in fact for suing the school.
I never said anything about suing. I said it would have been smart for her to hire an attorney to direct her towards the best course of action. The hiring of an attorney would have made the school think more than twice about the results of their actions. I guarantee you laughing would be the last thing they would do.

I like to think that she's stood up for her principles.

What a bunch of moronic parents.
Ahh, first your title is misleading. She was not forced to resign. She was told to take a three week vacation.
And as long as no one could verify her travel itinerary, the possibility exists she traveled through a hot zone.
So, a three week paid leave is no bother. She should take it and enjoy.

You have a copy of her contract of employment?

You have a copy of her contract of employment?
No, but only a stupid person would think a teacher's job was to sit in a closet for eight hours a day.

Are you this stupid in real life?

Forum List

Back