Saturday Night Fever Reviewed: Vile portrayals, Somewhat Boring... But Guess What. Hollywood Says It's Iconic

Yeah, leave it to you to try and limit the conversation to what you want it to be about.

The movie was so so. The soundtrack was a huge hit. The disco era, while not my thing, was a big deal.

Your attempt to portray SNF and the other movies you listed as "utter trash" is typical. The movie, as you saw it, was rated 'R'. If you don't want to see sex, nudity and violence, stick with 'G' rated movies.

Think One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Summer of '42, and The Last Picture Show are all classic movies. No, they are not 'G' rated Disney movies, but they were some of the best of all time in their genre. They tell stories. That is what they are supposed to do. And stories, like life, have some parts that are hard to watch and some parts that show the worst in people. If you can't handle that, perhaps you should stop going to the movies.

Just the fact that some of our leftwing chatters here report on seeing Summer of 42 as teens means those moving ratings don't mean squat. I have never heard of kids being turned away at a box office anyway.

It's not really about me. It's about young impressionable minds who watch the filth put out by Marxist Hollywood. Cuckoo's Nest was written by a guy when he was high. It's disjointed trash. It's NOT a great story. The Last Picture Show portrayed several rapes of minors and well as full nudity. It's leftwing trash. Damaging to minors.

You would have been damaged. Some people who have been sexually assaulted as children show immediate signs of damage. Others may not realize the dysfunction of their lives because of rape until later. The fact that people can see this as normal shows where we are as a society.

Do a little research on the number of women who have been sexually assaulted in their lives. It is "normal" for many people. Which is tragic.

As for the movie Summer of '42, it is a great coming of age movie. And if the sex scene between the woman and the teenager is inappropriate, most people would see it as a woman who lost it due to the news her husband had been killed in the war. Unless you had been in the situation, only an asshole would condemn her.

I am a Boomer and I never owned a Leisure Suit or danced to Disco.

I am a Boomer too. I despised disco. But, I am sad to say, I did wear a leisure suit. A canary yellow one. lol Looking back it was ugly as homemade sin, and without a natural fiber in the whole thing. But it got me out of wearing a tie to church. So it had that going for it.

Even worse than the leisure suits were the two-tone platform shoes of that era. We called them "Stacks". I had a pair that were white patent-leather and burgundy crushed velvet. Whew, they were some ugly shoes. But I was stylin back in the day.

Do a little research on the number of women who have been sexually assaulted in their lives. It is "normal" for many people. Which is tragic.

As for the movie Summer of '42, it is a great coming of age movie. And if the sex scene between the woman and the teenager is inappropriate, most people would see it as a woman who lost it due to the news her husband had been killed in the war. Unless you had been in the situation, only an asshole would condemn her.
Yeah, statutory rape is not a 'beautiful love story', no matter how you try to justify or glamorize it. Reverse it and make it a 30-year-old guy and a 15-y/o girl. This is no different.

Just the fact that some of our leftwing chatters here report on seeing Summer of 42 as teens means those moving ratings don't mean squat. I have never heard of kids being turned away at a box office anyway.

It's not really about me. It's about young impressionable minds who watch the filth put out by Marxist Hollywood. Cuckoo's Nest was written by a guy when he was high. It's disjointed trash. It's NOT a great story. The Last Picture Show portrayed several rapes of minors and well as full nudity. It's leftwing trash. Damaging to minors.

So you think minors will go out and rape someone because they saw it in a movie? lol

The movies portray real life.

And if the minors see the movie, ask the parents why they were allowed to see it.

I am a Boomer too. I despised disco. But, I am sad to say, I did wear a leisure suit. A canary yellow one. lol Looking back it was ugly as homemade sin, and without a natural fiber in the whole thing. But it got me out of wearing a tie to church. So it had that going for it.

Even worse than the leisure suits were the two-tone platform shoes of that era. We called them "Stacks". I had a pair that were white patent-leather and burgundy crushed velvet. Whew, they were some ugly shoes. But I was stylin back in the day.
I was a jeans and tennis shoes guy then. Same now.

Yeah, statutory rape is not a 'beautiful love story', no matter how you try to justify or glamorize it. Reverse it and make it a 30-year-old guy and a 15-y/o girl. This is no different.

Yeah, you keep telling yourself that. The rest of the world sees it differently. At least they didn't use birth control, so that should make you happy.

So you think minors will go out and rape someone because they saw it in a movie? lol

The movies portray real life.

And if the minors see the movie, ask the parents why they were allowed to see it.
Perhaps not, but they will. like you, start to see it as acceptable. And that enables the acts to happen.

Yeah, you keep telling yourself that. The rest of the world sees it differently. At least they didn't use birth control, so that should make you happy.
No, the rest of the world does not see it differently. The woman would be in prison if she did that.

Perhaps not, but they will. like you, start to see it as acceptable. And that enables the acts to happen.

The movie was rated 'R'. No one under 17 admitted without a parent.

And no, I do not see rape as acceptable. That is just another lie.

No, the rest of the world does not see it differently. The woman would be in prison if she did that.

My suggestion is that you pay attention to the ratings and the warnings of what is in the film. Now days they even have warnings if someone will be smoking or drinking or using bad language.

If you don't like the things in these movies, why pay to watch them?

The movie was rated 'R'. No one under 17 admitted without a parent.

And no, I do not see rape as acceptable. That is just another lie.
Did you not read the comments? A bunch of these guys said they saw the movie as younger teens. There was no gatekeeper at the theater for movie ratings. And today, of course, with the internet, ratings are meaningless. Anybody can see anything.

SNF was a great event rather than a great movie. we used to get the films a bit later than the big cities and by the time it came the whole town was at "fever" pitch.
The queue was massive and well into the next street. Everyone in school went to see it , underage, because you were a social outcast if you didnt.

For us it was an insight into US working class culture. A subject that doesnt get much coverage unless its crime. But mainly the music and the dncefloor that lit up. That was like something from the future.

The fashions and attitudes no longer stand up but the Bee Gee songs still fill dance floors at weddings all over the world.

The OP might have been around but he didnt really live through this period.

My suggestion is that you pay attention to the ratings and the warnings of what is in the film. Now days they even have warnings if someone will be smoking or drinking or using bad language.

If you don't like the things in these movies, why pay to watch them?
I didn't pay.

SNF was a great event rather than a great movie. we used to get the films a bit later than the big cities and by the time it came the whole town was at "fever" pitch.
The queue was massive and well into the next street. Everyone in school went to see it , underage, because you were a social outcast if you didnt.

For us it was an insight into US working class culture. A subject that doesnt get much coverage unless its crime. But mainly the music and the dncefloor that lit up. That was like something from the future.

The fashions and attitudes no longer stand up but the Bee Gee songs still fill dance floors at weddings all over the world.

The OP might have been around but he didnt really live through this period.
I absolutely lived through this period. I was in college playing football in 1977. This was a crazy permissive time, and I was at a crazy school. I was at the epicenter of people doing stuff, though I didn't really take part. The funny thing is, these fantasies you guys have with women and wished you could have lived, I could have done those things and more, in the environment I was in. Thank God I had sense enough not to. I think that is why I am especially attracted to the Dolores Hart story.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back