Sarah Palin's former Pastor speaks out.

You might not agree with Palin, nor the poster, but God most certainly used wars to His own end. The Old Testament is full of them.

The there is the fact that you presume to speak for God .....

No I dont obviously speak for God or I would not be here posting but either does Palen. She says "pray that our leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God. That is very simple to interpret. 1.She is praying like crazy that hopefully God thinks going to war is the right thing to do . She is basically saying that she doesnt know if its right but she prays that it is.

Here's George Carlin view on the matter (This is not the exact quote but what I can best remember).

"We pray to god, they pray to god; someone's going to be disappointed."

George Carlin is right in this aspect. Both sides pray to God but only one side can win. So does that mean God loves one side more then the other? If so, then what about how God loves all his children?

Point being, if you do believe in God that praying for your side to win in War does nothing except give you a little more faith that you might get through the current battle alive.

Not saying it's wrong to pray to win in war, but thats just the truth of the matter.

Praying for God to win a war is like praying for your favorite NFl team on Sunday that they win the game. I would consider myself a christian and this will never make sense to me but that Carlin line is hilarious and it makes a great point. Thats why it makes what she said so rediculous.

No I dont obviously speak for God or I would not be here posting but either does Palen. She says "pray that our leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God. That is very simple to interpret. 1.She is praying like crazy that hopefully God thinks going to war is the right thing to do . She is basically saying that she doesnt know if its right but she prays that it is.

and the problem with that is--??

A decision was made--she is hoping it was the right one.
This is opposed to
A decision was made-----and people work as hard as they can to sabotage it and enjoy when it fails.

Just in case it's not stuck in the back of your mind somewhere that I told you earlier this evening there was no discussing Obama's religion without the wingnuts going rabid, let me reiterate that observation and apply it as well to Palin.:lol:

Well wingnuts are both sides would go rabid over little to nothing.

I remember you stating this earlier.

I do believe what George Carlin said is right though.

It's a bit arrogant to assume that God loves us more then another group of people and that God wants us to win. It's also a bit arrogant no matter what to say in such a manner that it's God plan to be anywhere in the world for any reason.

Lets face the facts, if someone said that God told them that "blah blah blah" they just might be locked up in an institution. (Especially if the idea sounds "insane" to others.)

It amazes me sometimes that Politicans on BOTH sides of the Political Spectrum say God's plan is this or God believes in that and get cheered for it.

A quote by John Lennon (yes him Ninja :lol:) comes to mind.

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it."

You're right. She doesn't. That's why it begins "Pray that ...."

Yeah it's simple to interpret. She's saying to pray for God's blessing for our troops and that their cause is just.

So what it boils down to is that because you think it is not just, she's a whacko, right-wing Christian begging God to be on our side. THAT is just as easy to interpret.

You might also consider that not every conservative agreed with Bush's decision to invade Iraq. I certainly didn't. However, there WAS justification for doing so. I just didn't think it outweighed the regional situation.

Either way, invade we did. Let's move along and catch up with 2008 and get on with it. Praying for a US loss so you can get your partisan jollies is just plain sick.

Twisting Palin's words to suit your political agenda is just plain dishonest.

"Oh, Thou God that heard Solomon in the night when he prayed and cried for wisdom, hear me. . . . I cannot guide the affairs of this nation without Thy help. Hear me and save this nation.'" Abraham Lincoln

You see , anyone that might pray and and seek guidence or comfort in spiritual matters such as with the Sarah Palin prayer has no hidden agenda. The woman has a son deploying soon to Iraq and like most mothers I am sure she is worried and sought comfort and spiritual guidence. So rather than make it into something it surely is not take it for what it was, a mother whos son is going into harms way asking god to watch over him.

and the problem with that is--??

A decision was made--she is hoping it was the right one.
This is opposed to
A decision was made-----and people work as hard as they can to sabotage it and enjoy when it fails.

No problem but I think it says that she was not sure if we should go to war. People usually pray when they need guidance. She was praying after the fact as if she wasnt sure what we were doing was right and she hoped God was ok with it. I just dont think praying to God about war makes any sense. If God wanted to destroy Iraq so it could be rebuilt then he would have taken care of it himself. I thinks its selfish that someone might think God choose George Bush and the United States to carry out something he could easily handle while losing lives and killing innocent people along the way. Thats all.

Last edited:
Pastor: GOP may be downplaying Palin's religious beliefs - CNN.com

Quite the interesting article.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I haven't seen this posted here yet so I figured I'd do the honors.

My husband's parents were Pentacostal as are several of his siblings and their children although my husband and our family are not. But they aren't weird or social whackos and in fact at least half of them are Democrats, some are swing voters and not conservative or Republican. My father-in-law was a diehard Democrat who would rather have cut off his arm than vote for a Republican. It is hard to explain to someone outside the church about the speaking in tongue thing though -I don't really get that myself although I've had it explained to me about the particular Scriptures that led to that belief. Just not something I've ever fully understood though. But the church doesn't emphasize that as it did when originally founded and isn't near as common as it once was. As for the rest of the article it was a big yawn for me. All fundamentalist churches believe in the end times because being a fundamentalist means they believe the Bible to be true in everything written.

What the heck is wrong with you people. The Quote is.....""Pray for our military men and women who are striving do to what is right. Also for this country, that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending them out on a task that is from God. That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for -- that there is a plan, and that plan is God's plan."

She is saying pray that "our leaders , our national leaders, are sending them out on a task that is from God" thats crazy, God doesnt want war and thats takes the cake for the most stupid thing I have heard come from her mouth. She better pray that God forgives us for going to war, thats what I would like to hear. If she actually thinks that Gods plan is war than I think she is crazy.

You know, I have to agree with you here.

I mean, if after 5 - 6 years of the war you are praying that it was God's plan, well I mean isn't that a little late? Isn't time to roll up your sleeves and get to work on it, instead of leaving it in God's hands? Maybe God is waiting for you to start applying some peace and compassion instead of bluster and swagger?

I dunno, it still is a little disturbing, though I am glad she has said that she won't force her beliefs on others. I do hope this gets addressed.

You know, I have to agree with you here.

I mean, if after 5 - 6 years of the war you are praying that it was God's plan, well I mean isn't that a little late? Isn't time to roll up your sleeves and get to work on it, instead of leaving it in God's hands? Maybe God is waiting for you to start applying some peace and compassion instead of bluster and swagger?

I dunno, it still is a little disturbing, though I am glad she has said that she won't force her beliefs on others. I do hope this gets addressed.

It's never too late. Might have been over a lot sooner if so many Americans didnt bug out. Immediate gratification is hollow.

Pastor: GOP may be downplaying Palin's religious beliefs - CNN.com

Quite the interesting article.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I haven't seen this posted here yet so I figured I'd do the honors.

My husband's parents were Pentacostal as are several of his siblings and their children although my husband and our family are not. But they aren't weird or social whackos and in fact at least half of them are Democrats, some are swing voters and not conservative or Republican. My father-in-law was a diehard Democrat who would rather have cut off his arm than vote for a Republican. It is hard to explain to someone outside the church about the speaking in tongue thing though -I don't really get that myself although I've had it explained to me about the particular Scriptures that led to that belief. Just not something I've ever fully understood though. But the church doesn't emphasize that as it did when originally founded and isn't near as common as it once was. As for the rest of the article it was a big yawn for me. All fundamentalist churches believe in the end times because being a fundamentalist means they believe the Bible to be true in everything written.

It's never too late. Might have been over a lot sooner if so many Americans didnt bug out. Immediate gratification is hollow.

We were misled. I never wanted to go to war, I never believed Bush, he was shifty from day one. But that aside, :) Cheney and Rumsfeld talked about how it would be over in a matter of months.

We named three countries in the "axis of evil" and went for the smallest billy goat and still got trounced. Bush didn't take into account all the intricacies of foreign cultures, tribal cultures, etc, whatever -

Anyway, I can see praying that it is God's will when Bush ordered the invasion. After a couple years, not so much - at that point, when the whole basis for the pre-emptive invasion turns out to be cherry-picked intelligence (and lies, eg yellowacke) and the whole thing is a horrible mess to boot, you know if she is still praying that this is God's plan, well I guess bully for her but I'd rather have a leader that said "You know, we could learn something from this."

We were misled. I never wanted to go to war, I never believed Bush, he was shifty from day one. But that aside, :) Cheney and Rumsfeld talked about how it would be over in a matter of months.

We named three countries in the "axis of evil" and went for the smallest billy goat and still got trounced. Bush didn't take into account all the intricacies of foreign cultures, tribal cultures, etc, whatever -

Anyway, I can see praying that it is God's will when Bush ordered the invasion. After a couple years, not so much - at that point, when the whole basis for the pre-emptive invasion turns out to be cherry-picked intelligence (and lies, eg yellowacke) and the whole thing is a horrible mess to boot, you know if she is still praying that this is God's plan, well I guess bully for her but I'd rather have a leader that said "You know, we could learn something from this."

Plus if praying actually worked as it suppose to, the entire Bush Administration would of been gone a long time ago.

Since imagine how many prayers since the 2000 election have been made by people that they vanish off the face of the earth. :lol:

What the heck is wrong with you people. The Quote is.....""Pray for our military men and women who are striving do to what is right. Also for this country, that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending them out on a task that is from God. That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for -- that there is a plan, and that plan is God's plan."

She is saying pray that "our leaders , our national leaders, are sending them out on a task that is from God" thats crazy, God doesnt want war and thats takes the cake for the most stupid thing I have heard come from her mouth. She better pray that God forgives us for going to war, thats what I would like to hear. If she actually thinks that Gods plan is war than I think she is crazy.

You speak for God now? God is always a pacifist no matter what the circumstances you think?

Think there is a Commandment that says "No going to war unless your enemy has already invaded your lands, at least killed many of your own people -and absolutely no pre-emptive strikes allowed so they can't come after you at all"? Might want to check out the Bible again -plenty of wars in it that were clearly part of God's plans. Might want to check out what God told the Jews about how to take possession of the Promised Land when they finally reached it -and it was occupied already. It wasn't by negotiation.

Might want to take another look at Ecclesiastes 3:

1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
2 a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
3 a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
4 a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
5 a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
6 a time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
7 a time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
8 a time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

And check out the Book of Revelation regarding a really big war and see whether its part of God's plan or not.

Palin prayed that what our leaders were doing was part of God's plan, knowing full well that God's plans cannot be known by man -and that sometimes as horrible as it can be, war really is part of His plan. So she was praying that we were doing God's will. And considering that, who in their right mind would pray it wasn't?

Maybe you have this idea that God is some kind of warm, fuzzy, touchy-feely amorphous "pure love" kind of thing or something. The Bible says that above all, God is JUST. And being just isn't always warm and fuzzy, is it?

Last edited:
You speak for God now? God is always a pacifist no matter what the circumstances you think?

Think there is a Commandment that says "No going to war unless your enemy has already invaded your lands, at least killed many of your own people -and absolutely no pre-emptive strikes allowed so they can't come after you at all"? Might want to check out the Bible again -plenty of wars in it that were clearly part of God's plans. Might want to check out what God told the Jews about how to take possession of the Promised Land when they finally reached it -and it was occupied already. It wasn't by negotiation.

Might want to take another look at Ecclesiastes 3:

1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
2 a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
3 a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
4 a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
5 a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
6 a time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
7 a time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
8 a time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

And check out the Book of Revelation regarding a really big war and see whether its part of God's plan or not.

Palin prayed that what our leaders were doing was part of God's plan, knowing full well that God's plans cannot be known by man -and that sometimes as horrible as it can be, war really is part of His plan. So she was praying that we were doing God's will. And considering that, who in their right mind would pray it wasn't?

Maybe you have this idea that God is some kind of warm, fuzzy, touchy-feely amorphous "pure love" kind of thing or something. The Bible says that above all, God is JUST. And being just isn't always warm and fuzzy, is it?

In my experience, when you are at a point at which you are praying that something be in God's plan, you are acknowledging that you have tried your best, are at your limit, and it is up to him. You are sort of releasing the issue and accepting whatever will be.

I can easily imagine this state of mind for a mother sending her son off to war. Easily, and I hope her son is safe.

I cannot accept the state of mind if it is typical for her in more mundane things. I need to know that she does not often put things in terms of "God's will" because that approach shows a certain relinquishing of the (God-given) human capabilities that we do have, like intelligence, ingenuity, determination, and so on. So I need to know if she plans to plunk items in the "god's will" column as a matter of course.

I am not encouraged that the pipeline apparently is in the "God's will" column. I would think ingenuity and determination could get a pipeline built. Yes, she may have a different style of faith than me (she almost certainly does!). We'll see ...

Forum List

Back