Sarah Palin: Trump's Carrier deal is 'crony capitalism'

They got 7 million a year in incentives, IN keeps 21.5 million in State income tax and the feds keep 19.5 million in income taxes by keeping those jobs in the US. Who got the better deal?

Source for the numbers?

What tax rate does a State need to collect 21.5 million in income tax from 1000 blue collar jobs?

Eric Bolling on Fox today. Carrier will be keeping close to 80 million in payroll in IN, IN has a 3.5% income tax, feds he figured at an average of 25%.

3.5% of 80 million in payroll for 1000 jobs = 21.5 million? want to do that math again?

2.8 million. Minus 7 million in incentives = 5 million dollar hole.

Ok, my mistake, tell me, what's 60 million in economic activity worth to the State, in sales taxes, property taxes and so on? And we haven't even discussed payroll taxes, unemployment insurance and other benefits.

Also no one has offered a shred of evidence that UT is a crony of Trump. So where the hell is this accusation of corny capitalism coming from?

That is not definition Pailn and many conservative use:

When government steps in arbitrarily with individual subsidies, favoring one business over others, it sets inconsistent, unfair, illogical precedent.....we know special interest crony capitalism is one big fail.

According to their wide definition any special government deal for a company is ideologically wrong.

Is this more opinion or do you have a link for the definition you placed in bold?

Source for the numbers?

What tax rate does a State need to collect 21.5 million in income tax from 1000 blue collar jobs?

Eric Bolling on Fox today. Carrier will be keeping close to 80 million in payroll in IN, IN has a 3.5% income tax, feds he figured at an average of 25%.

3.5% of 80 million in payroll for 1000 jobs = 21.5 million? want to do that math again?

Ok, my mistake, tell me, what's 60 million in economic activity worth to the State, in sales taxes, property taxes and so on? And we haven't even discussed payroll taxes, unemployment insurance and other benefits.

Also no one has offered a shred of evidence that UT is a crony of Trump. So where the hell is this accusation of corny capitalism coming from?

When government steps in arbitrarily with individual subsidies, favoring one business over others, it sets inconsistent, unfair, illogical precedent.....we know special interest crony capitalism is one big fail.

According to their wide definition any special government deal for a company is ideologically wrong.

Is this more opinion or do you have a link for the definition you placed in bold?

So let me ask, how big of a company does it take in order for them to be able to push their weight around and get the government to give them tax breaks?

They got 7 million a year in incentives, IN keeps 21.5 million in State income tax and the feds keep 19.5 million in income taxes by keeping those jobs in the US. Who got the better deal?

You really think any of that is going to happen.

Welfare for rich people. Of course you are all for it.

Not to worry, all the other companies will be along with their hands out, looking for tax breaks to NOT move to Mexico.

They have been for decades already.

well no cabinet post for you palin

Another conservative is calling “crony capitalism” on Donald Trump’s deal with Carrier, albeit an unexpected one — Sarah Palin.

In an op-ed for the website Young Conservatives, the former Alaska governor allowed that the details behind the manufacturer’s decision to keep some 1,000 jobs in Indiana at the president-elect’s behest, rather than move them to Mexico, are not yet clear. But touting the value of free markets, Palin signaled her disapproval if it was a case of “political intrusion using a stick or carrot to bribe or force one individual business to do what politicians insist.”

“When government steps in arbitrarily with individual subsidies, favoring one business over others, it sets inconsistent, unfair, illogical precedent,” she asserted.

She's right, but Trump always said he isn't a capitalist. That's why I wouldn't vote for him and voted for Johnson. You're a little late with this news, home boy ...

again, take that up with Caribou Barbie, she's the one who said that.

So how soon before Rheem and Trane and Lennox all come up and demand their payouts?

I would also ask how many of the parts they are assembling are merely shipped in from Mexico and China and just assembled? That makes this deal sound a lot less impressive.

You could ask the same of GM.

Any proof there is a prior relationship between UT and Trump?
Tramp owns enough stock in UT to net between $2,501 and $5,000 in interest per year according to Tramp's 2015 and 2016 FEC filings.

Oh wow, that's what, 1 family dinner at a nice restaurant? Also I think you're referring to dividends, not interest.

What family restaurants do you go to that cost $2,500?

When I was in management consulting and went to the kind of places Trump takes his family to? A bunch I could spend that

Tramp owns enough stock in UT to net between $2,501 and $5,000 in interest per year according to Tramp's 2015 and 2016 FEC filings.

Oh wow, that's what, 1 family dinner at a nice restaurant? Also I think you're referring to dividends, not interest.

When I was in management consulting and went to the kind of places Trump takes his family to? A bunch I could spend that

Yeah...but that is certainly not a "Nice family restaurant." That's a 3 star Michelin restaurant in a major city like New York.

Yeah...but that is certainly not a "Nice family restaurant." That's a 3 star Michelin restaurant in a major city like New York.

Try reading what I said again. I attempted to help you

I read that, but that wasn't the original quote I responded to.

So in referring to family restaurants in a message about Trump, you don't think restaurants Trump would go to should be considered the standard?

So let me ask, how big of a company does it take in order for them to be able to push their weight around and get the government to give them tax breaks?

Well there's a thread on the site were Nike got 2 billion from Oregon to put a factory there. But even smaller companies get some pretty good breaks. Here's a link to a few examples.

List of factories that will receive tax breaks

So in referring to family restaurants in a message about Trump, you don't think restaurants Trump would go to should be considered the standard?

No... you don't just say that $2,500 to $5,000 is about the cost of going to a nice family restaurant without adding "for him" or "for people like him."

When a person just says, "that's 1 meal at a nice family restaurant" one should assume they are talking about that for themselves without the extra stipulation added to the comment.

Thus, why I asked, "What family restaurants do you go to that cost $2,500?"

Well there's a thread on the site were Nike got 2 billion from Oregon to put a factory there. But even smaller companies get some pretty good breaks. Here's a link to a few examples.

You're missing the point. Where do you draw the line? Where does the favoritism stop? Is there an invisible line that says, unless you can guarantee at least $500 million a year in revenue we aren't giving you a tax break to stay here? Unless I have stock in your company or your parent company I don't think you deserve a tax break? Unless you or your parent company has contracts with the government we aren't giving you a tax break?

Where did I mention a family restaurant, they estimated his dinner with Romney likely cost $1500-1800, that was for three.

Another conservative is calling “crony capitalism” on Donald Trump’s deal with Carrier, albeit an unexpected one — Sarah Palin.

In an op-ed for the website Young Conservatives, the former Alaska governor allowed that the details behind the manufacturer’s decision to keep some 1,000 jobs in Indiana at the president-elect’s behest, rather than move them to Mexico, are not yet clear. But touting the value of free markets, Palin signaled her disapproval if it was a case of “political intrusion using a stick or carrot to bribe or force one individual business to do what politicians insist.”

“When government steps in arbitrarily with individual subsidies, favoring one business over others, it sets inconsistent, unfair, illogical precedent,” she asserted.

So Sarah is telling us that she is disappointed she didn't get the VA job.

Very true--but we're starting to see this caving in of support for Donald Trump, coming from his most ardent supporters. Newt Gingrich blasted him over his recent tweet, regarding flag burning, and his claim that he won the popular vote because illegals voted for Hillary. You can't claim millions of illegals voted for Hillary Clinton, then challenge that votes NOT be audited and recounted to insure that it didn't happen--LOL. You can't campaign on a rigged election, without complaining about an audit and recount afterwards.

It is crony capitalism--the government giving subsides to one business and not another. It's something that conservatives are 100% against--but then again, Donald Trump was never a conservative, much less a Republican.

Trump-RINO-2016.png

Where did I mention a family restaurant, they estimated his dinner with Romney likely cost $1500-1800, that was for three.

oh 1 family dinner at a nice restaurant. What restaurants do you go to that cost $2,500? That better? :)

You're missing the point. Where do you draw the line? Where does the favoritism stop? Is there an invisible line that says, unless you can guarantee at least $500 million a year in revenue we aren't giving you a tax break to stay here? Unless I have stock in your company or your parent company I don't think you deserve a tax break? Unless you or your parent company has contracts with the government we aren't giving you a tax break?

Actually you're the one missing the point, States compete with each other for new facilities and jobs, as long as that is the case, they will offer the companies incentives.

Forum List

Back