Sarah Murnaghan - Lung Transplant FAILED

Noomi

Ninja Kicker
Jul 6, 2012
Australia
Hear that, folks? The lungs she received FAILED and she has had a second transplant.
The first set of lungs lasted barely hours after the surgery, and she was placed on VA ECMO, a bypass machine, which would keep her alive for a week.
A second set of lungs was donated (adult, again) and she has had her second transplant.

See, this could have been predicted. Adult lungs do not belong in the body of a child:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Sarah-Murnaghan-Gets-Second-Lung-Transplant-First-Failed-Family-213556431.html

The new lungs are infected with pneumonia. Great, giving a set of infected lungs to a kid with infected lungs. That's fucked up.

Last edited:
Know what else is terrible? The first transplant she had, the lungs were fucked, and would only give her a couple of weeks to live. The doctors have probably shortened her life span.

As Sarah Murnaghan was already on life support, nothing is going to shorten her life. These surgeries certainly shortened someone else's life though. If this set fails, it is unlikely she will get another transplant. Poor child, and poor parents. They deserve profound sympathy, but not the unlimited deaths of others.

This is why I am not an organ donor.

There is no way to tell if your organs will be wasted on a lost cause while other people die.

if I recall correctly the panel that makes or made the rule ala who gets 'lungs' etc. delineated the boundaries, were Doctors...it didn't just appear out of nowhere, that had been the rules for a while.

sarah got that changed by a judge, becasue her parents found a way to surface and bring attention to their case, Sibelius was exactly right when she said she could not change the rules ( and if she had she would be as wrong as the judge inho).

Look, if the new paradigm is who yells loudest and best able to manage the press etc. as to how care is meted out, we are in deep shit.

This may sound harsh but I cannot think of anyway other way to say it- sarah may be cute and her parents successful at extending her life or giving her the opportunity to live, but, if this second set of lungs fails too, they have taken 2 sets of lungs that would have had provided much better odds as laid out by those doctors, given to the patients who had the best chances of integrating/utilizing them.

I said it then and I included every politician who got involved from each party and every media outlet, Fox, abc et al. Using emotional appeals to drive distribution of care is dishonest. If we are not going to let Doctors make those rules and turn it over to the judiciary, well, its going to be chaos.

We used to have a principle of law, that laws would not be passed that benefit only a single person. Unfortunately that principle, like many others, has gone by the wayside. Now it's a media battle for public opinion. We have become more like spectators in the gladiatorial arene showing by thumbs up who lives and who dies before cheering crowds.

We used to have a principle of law, that laws would not be passed that benefit only a single person. Unfortunately that principle, like many others, has gone by the wayside. Now it's a media battle for public opinion. We have become more like spectators in the gladiatorial arene showing by thumbs up who lives and who dies before cheering crowds.

Yup. Like giving organs to old fat useless rich drug addicts, actors, and members of the political class.

Yup. Like giving organs to old fat useless rich drug addicts, actors, and members of the political class.

What law was changed to give organs to old fat useless rich drug addicts, actors and members of the political class?

This isn't about giving organs to anyone, it's about changing the law to force medical providers to give organs to one, single, person, denied that organ on medical grounds.

What law was changed to give organs to old fat useless rich drug addicts, actors and members of the political class?

This isn't about giving organs to anyone, it's about changing the law to force medical providers to give organs to one, single, person, denied that organ on medical grounds.

Don't care about laws. Organ transplantation has always been weird. You had David Crosby, a fat, lazy heroin addicted pig with type 2 diabetes from being so fat and disgusting. He only got it because another slob payed for it I guess. Then you have another fat, lazy drunk and drug addict Larry Hagman get a liver. I wonder how many people that would have contributed something to the world died so that to fat, lazy drunks and dope fiends could live.
The transplant process has been stupid since it started.

And this case is disgusting. Two sets of inferior lungs, thousands of dollars spent, like,y thousands in debt for an 11 year old who isn't even going to live. They are torturing that child.

Don't care about laws. Organ transplantation has always been weird. You had David Crosby, a fat, lazy heroin addicted pig with type 2 diabetes from being so fat and disgusting. He only got it because another slob payed for it I guess. Then you have another fat, lazy drunk and drug addict Larry Hagman get a liver. I wonder how many people that would have contributed something to the world died so that to fat, lazy drunks and dope fiends could live.
The transplant process has been stupid since it started.

mickey mantle too and, I am a Yankee fan;)

And this case is disgusting. Two sets of inferior lungs, thousands of dollars spent, like,y thousands in debt for an 11 year old who isn't even going to live. They are torturing that child.

It might be because they are incompatible as they are from an adult. It would seem customary to check all organ donations for disease by blood tests PRIOR to being harvested.

Sorry folks, but not trying is worse than failure.

Two sets of inferior, diseased lungs that the childs body can't even function without yet another surgery. Trying for the sake of trying is just stupid.

Sorry, but I don't take everything I read as gospel. I believe there is a slight chance there is an agenda at work here and false information is being put out by the media.

Forum List

Back