Sandra Fluke Officially Working With Obama

tumblr_m8e82qxOeI1r1rtp6o1_500.jpg

Again, why birth control and not any of the other things i pay for but will never use?
I have singled out birth control because of religious views. Millions of people have religious views that they hold deeply, and that does not comport with participating in a plan that covers birth control. And prior to obama's arrival they were free to exercise those beliefs, as was every American.

I don't think there should be a restriction on what an individual includes in his policy.

Off the top of my head

Check ups, shots for children, screenings for diffrent types of cancer, counseling for domestic violence...

As you said, individuals who have religious issues are free to not purchase the employeer insurance. However we have a separation of church and state, which means in part that we don't allow someone's religion to dictate national medical issues. A panel of medical experts decided birth control should be added to the list of "preventable medicine", and preventable medicine is what is mandated.

Devout Catholics are not free to purchase insurance in accordance with their beliefs. Permitting them to do so does not equate to " allowing someone's religion to dictate national medical issues". That is absurd. And you have, so far , been pretty reasonable. And you have provided no good reason that I can see to completely eliminate a freedom previously enjoyed by all Americans. Why not allow individuals to opt out of birth control coverage by purchasing policies that simply do not include birth control coverage? How does that hurt anyone?

Video: Obama supporters stumped on why government should pay for birth control

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aFIkK79Of8&feature=player_embedded]Caleb Bonham Interviews Attendees of the Obama/Fluke Campaign Event - YouTube[/ame]

Caleb Bonham Interviews Attendees of the Obama/Fluke Campaign Event - YouTube
who's asking gvt to pay for it? don't we pay premiums for our own health care policy? ??????????????

maybe if the question wasn't set up the way it was....and people were asked if they thought birth control should be a part of peoples health care insurance policies you'd get a better response???

Your premiums don't cover everything. You get deductibles and some things can be exempted....like maternity insurance.

Just like you buy car insurance.

who's asking gvt to pay for it? don't we pay premiums for our own health care policy? ??????????????

maybe if the question wasn't set up the way it was....and people were asked if they thought birth control should be a part of peoples health care insurance policies you'd get a better response???

Your premiums don't cover everything. You get deductibles and some things can be exempted....like maternity insurance.

Just like you buy car insurance.

What's the part that the government is paying?

Same goes to men too and Rush is a major asshole. He didn't apologize. Ed Schultz was right to apologize and Laura Ingraham was right to accept. Rush's apology was no apology. He wasn't sorry.

You are not very bright are you!

Limbaugh — who has a long history of making incendiary remarks, and is not known to take them back — issued the rare apology on Saturday afternoon, saying he was "sincerely" sorry about his "insulting" characterization of Fluke.

Rush Limbaugh Apologizes To Sandra Fluke For Calling Her A 'Slut'

It wasn't an apology. It was crap he said because his sponsors were leaving. There is a difference.

I didn't see that in my link. Show me yours.

I have singled out birth control because of religious views. Millions of people have religious views that they hold deeply, and that does not comport with participating in a plan that covers birth control. And prior to obama's arrival they were free to exercise those beliefs, as was every American.

I don't think there should be a restriction on what an individual includes in his policy.

Off the top of my head

Check ups, shots for children, screenings for diffrent types of cancer, counseling for domestic violence...

As you said, individuals who have religious issues are free to not purchase the employeer insurance. However we have a separation of church and state, which means in part that we don't allow someone's religion to dictate national medical issues. A panel of medical experts decided birth control should be added to the list of "preventable medicine", and preventable medicine is what is mandated.

Devout Catholics are not free to purchase insurance in accordance with their beliefs. Permitting them to do so does not equate to " allowing someone's religion to dictate national medical issues". That is absurd. And you have, so far , been pretty reasonable. And you have provided no good reason that I can see to completely eliminate a freedom previously enjoyed by all Americans. Why not allow individuals to opt out of birth control coverage by purchasing policies that simply do not include birth control coverage? How does that hurt anyone?

I could see an argument for "nothing should be mandated", but not one for dropping birth control specifically. If you're going to say " all plans need to have x" x should be decided by medical experts and should not be influenced by religion or morality.

Do you object to, say, dog fighting?

Should you be forced to underwrite that?

I'm going to assume you said "no".

Okay -- so why should a company be forced to underwrite actions it views as morally objectionable?
Most women on birth control are married...why would it be morally objectionable?
You'll have to ask a Catholic about that.
btw....this isn't about one school, who DOES offer it on their health care policies for their workers btw....how can they provide it on the one hand for their workers and then claim religious reasons for not providing it on the other? and if the school IS NOT paying for the group health care plan for the students, and the students are paying for it....why should the school be able to dictate this? that's my main problem with it, the students are paying for their own health care and the workers in the school have their own policy that does include reproductive services/birth control. Seems to me the employer has no religious grounds to stand on....in addition to this Catholic charities which includes the schools, receives 50% of their money from the tax payers of this Nation, so even if the school had claimed to be paying for it, they truly are not paying for it in full, the tax payer would have been paying 50% of it and the tax payer includes these students and their parents income as well... I don't think the Catholic charities has the right to dictate their beliefs in a secular school....this is a school that accepts all students from any faith or non faith, a school that receives tax payer's money, atheist, christian, jew, hindu, wiccans, agnostics....that is money from every one and every faith....they should not be able to ask for a religious exemption under those circumstances.

If this were the Catholic Church and we were talking about their employees who actually work for the Parish, in the church, paid for with the Catholic churches money from their own parishioners of the church itself, then I would support their reason of it being for religious reasons that they are asking for the exemption and the ACA already allows them the exemption.

but that is not what we are talking about, we are talking about Catholic charities, not the catholic church, and we are talking about a secular school who accepts all faiths or non faiths in to the school....which is also receiving tax monies and is not some private seminary.
Fluke has been less than honest.

Georgetown University will not offer student contraception coverage :: Catholic News Agency (CNA)

In an April 16 letter, more than 100 students and alumni had called on President DeGioia to clarify the Jesuit university’s position on the controversial issue.

The letter came in the wake of a campus event at which Fluke promoted free contraception access. Its signers objected to the fact that the event did not also include a speaker presenting the Church’s teaching on the subject, an omission that they said may lead students to draw inaccurate conclusions.

DeGioia did not reference this letter in his email but did explain that he wanted to clarify the university’s position on the subject and clear up misconceptions about its current coverage.

He explained that while the student plan “does not cover prescription contraceptives for birth control,” it does cover them “for health reasons unrelated to birth control, as determined by a physician

During her testimony, Fluke had complained of consequences suffered by women who were denied the contraception they needed for medical purposes.​

So, no one who's been trumpeting the medical uses for birth control wants to acknowledge that Georgetown has indeed been providing it to students with valid medical reasons?

You pay for yours now. But under the new AHC, tens of millions of people will be getting government subsidies for coverage they either don't want or don't need.

I have a comprehensive health care plan that costs over 20K. My B/C is not covered. I suppose next year it will go up to 25K. But that's ok. The good people of the state of NJ pay for mine. :confused:

Most women on birth control are married...why would it be morally objectionable?
You'll have to ask a Catholic about that.
btw....this isn't about one school, who DOES offer it on their health care policies for their workers btw....how can they provide it on the one hand for their workers and then claim religious reasons for not providing it on the other? and if the school IS NOT paying for the group health care plan for the students, and the students are paying for it....why should the school be able to dictate this? that's my main problem with it, the students are paying for their own health care and the workers in the school have their own policy that does include reproductive services/birth control. Seems to me the employer has no religious grounds to stand on....in addition to this Catholic charities which includes the schools, receives 50% of their money from the tax payers of this Nation, so even if the school had claimed to be paying for it, they truly are not paying for it in full, the tax payer would have been paying 50% of it and the tax payer includes these students and their parents income as well... I don't think the Catholic charities has the right to dictate their beliefs in a secular school....this is a school that accepts all students from any faith or non faith, a school that receives tax payer's money, atheist, christian, jew, hindu, wiccans, agnostics....that is money from every one and every faith....they should not be able to ask for a religious exemption under those circumstances.

If this were the Catholic Church and we were talking about their employees who actually work for the Parish, in the church, paid for with the Catholic churches money from their own parishioners of the church itself, then I would support their reason of it being for religious reasons that they are asking for the exemption and the ACA already allows them the exemption.

but that is not what we are talking about, we are talking about Catholic charities, not the catholic church, and we are talking about a secular school who accepts all faiths or non faiths in to the school....which is also receiving tax monies and is not some private seminary.
Fluke has been less than honest.

Georgetown University will not offer student contraception coverage :: Catholic News Agency (CNA)

In an April 16 letter, more than 100 students and alumni had called on President DeGioia to clarify the Jesuit university’s position on the controversial issue.

The letter came in the wake of a campus event at which Fluke promoted free contraception access. Its signers objected to the fact that the event did not also include a speaker presenting the Church’s teaching on the subject, an omission that they said may lead students to draw inaccurate conclusions.

DeGioia did not reference this letter in his email but did explain that he wanted to clarify the university’s position on the subject and clear up misconceptions about its current coverage.

He explained that while the student plan “does not cover prescription contraceptives for birth control,” it does cover them “for health reasons unrelated to birth control, as determined by a physician

During her testimony, Fluke had complained of consequences suffered by women who were denied the contraception they needed for medical purposes.​

So, no one who's been trumpeting the medical uses for birth control wants to acknowledge that Georgetown has indeed been providing it to students with valid medical reasons?
Apparently, they DON'T want to acknowledge that Fluke lied.

The value of having Fluke in the campaign is that everywhere she goes, all the normal American people she talks to, all the normal American people who get to know her

get to be reminded that Rush Limbaugh, the spiritual/intellectual/philosophical leader of modern American conservatism,

called her a slut.

Good point, and normal people will notice that she didn't have the common decency to accept Rush's apology. That makes her an arrogant asshole.

Forum List

Back