Sandra Day O'Connor Says Obama Should Get To Replace Justice Scalia

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
Appointed by Reagan, so her word is golden, right wingnuts?

"Let's get on with it," the retired Reagan appointee said.

Sandra Day O'Connor, the retired Supreme Court justice appointed by a Republican president, said on Wednesday that President Barack Obama should get to name the replacement for the late Justice Antonin Scalia.

O'Connor, in an interview with a Fox affiliate in Phoenix, disagreed with Republican arguments that the next president, and not Obama, should get to fill the high court vacancy.

"I think we need somebody there to do the job now and let's get on with it," said O'Connor, the first woman appointed to the Supreme Court.

O'Connor, 85, agreed it's unusual for a Supreme Court vacancy to open in an election year, which "creates much talk around the thing that isn't necessary."

But she said the president still has an important responsibility to fulfill.

"You just have to pick the best person you can under the circumstances, as the appointing authority must do," she said. "It's an important position and one that we care about as a nation and as a people. And I wish the president will as he makes choices and goes down that line. It's hard."

Republicans are wrong about everything. They win some battles but are destined to lose the war.

Sandra Day O'Connor, the retired Supreme Court justice appointed by a Republican president, said on Wednesday that President Barack Obama should get to name the replacement for the late Justice Antonin Scalia.

O'Connor, in an interview with a Fox affiliate in Phoenix, disagreed with Republican arguments that the next president, and not Obama, should get to fill the high court vacancy.

"I think we need somebody there to do the job now and let's get on with it," said O'Connor, the first woman appointed to the Supreme Court.

O'Connor, 85, agreed it's unusual for a Supreme Court vacancy to open in an election year, which "creates much talk around the thing that isn't necessary."

"You just have to pick the best person you can under the circumstances, as the appointing authority must do," she said. "It's an important position and one that we care about as a nation and as a people. And I wish the president will as he makes choices and goes down that line. It's hard."
She suffers from dementia and is not in her right mind due to her age.

She suffers from dementia and is not in her right mind due to her age.
Obviously you have no argument.

I was thinking the same thing. ^^^

Republicans are wrong about everything. They win some battles but are destined to lose the war.
And most of the pube scumbags in the House don't give a shit, because they know that in their gerrymandered districts the nutters will continue to elect them no matter what they do or don't do, and that is all that matters to them.

And most of the pube scumbags in the House don't give a shit, because they know that in their gerrymandered districts the nutters will continue to elect them no matter what they do or don't do, and that is all that matters to them.
have you looked in to obamjevich's gerrymandering history ?

this is one of those things where i split from the conservative politicians, the process should go forward. it's the right thing to do. lot's of people care. most people don't spend time on political messageboards.
Ive never seen so many straw man arguments as I've seen about this process.

Perhaps Obama should ask O'Connor to assume Scalia's place on the SC for a year and, indeed, allow the next president to nominate someone else in 2017.

Let republican senators object to O'Connor's qualifications........LOL

The court is supposed to be apolitical so her opinion means shit

The GOP is already cracking, as predicted...

"Already, there is some evidence of Republican anxiety. Sen. Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) has encouraged his party to at least hold hearings on a nominee. Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine), in a 57-word statement that said barely anything, suggested her party shouldn't rush to judgment. And Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.), up for re-election this year, backtracked on Tuesday to say he'd be open to hearings. Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), who chairs the Judiciary Committee, left the door ajar to holding hearings. And outside Congress, several operatives and legal officials have said that the process of replacing a justice is too sacrosanct to succumb to partisan gridlock."
The Only Weapon Obama Has In Supreme Court Fight Is Public Shaming

Of course Obama should choose. The people have spoken and decided that he should.

So far the gop hasn't done anything. They haven't blocked anyone
Obama however did try to block a nominee.
Obama Called Out On Time He Blocked SCOTUS Nominee. Here's His Laughable Response.
He didn't filibuster, but he supported the filibuster. He says it was a mistake. And the nominee went on to be confirmed, even though he is nakedly partisan, and an ideologue.

I think it further proves the point that Obama should have his nominee go through the process.

The court is supposed to be apolitical so her opinion means shit
Then why would Republicans make it political like they have?

You stepped right into that one. You should at least try to think before posting.

the Constitution is clear

the president with consent by congress can appoint a replacement

it is the duty of congress to weigh if the senate will or will not give consent

not Sandra Day O'Connor

Forum List

Back