San Francisco's Last Gun Store Closing Doors For Good

"Our customers shouldn't be treated like they're doing something wrong."

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — The only gun store in San Francisco is shuttering for good, saying it can no longer operate in the city's political climate of increased gun control regulations and vocal opposition to its business.

"It's with tremendous sadness and regret that I have to announce we are closing our shop," High Bridge Arms manager Steve Alcairo announced in a Facebook post on Sept. 11. "It has been a long and difficult ride, but a great pleasure to be your last San Francisco gun shop."

Alcairo said the breaking point came this summer when a local politician proposed a law that would require High Bridge Arms to video record every gun sale and submit a weekly report of ammunition sales to the police. If passed, the law would join several local gun control ordinances on the books in a city still scarred by the 1993 murder of eight in a downtown high-rise and the 1978 assassination of Mayor George Moscone and gay rights activist Harvey Milk.

"I'm not doing that to our customers. Enough is enough," Alcairo said. "Buying a gun is a constitutionally protected right. Our customers shouldn't be treated like they're doing something wrong."

More: San Francisco's Last Gun Store Closing Doors For Good

I consider NRA extremism the greatest threat to future gun rights. Compromise is not a dirty word - and the NRA needs to bend before it breaks by allowing sensible gun control measures like universal background checks. No sensible person should be against UBC. Joe Scarborough said it best: Extremism From "The Survivalist Wing" Of The NRA "Is The Greatest Danger To Gun Rights".

Ya, now they'll have to schlep across the bay bridge to Oakland for guns. :)

There are no gun shops in Oakland. Siegle's was driven out of business in 2007 via a huge increase in taxes.
Can't they buy one of the guns Obozo and Holder sent to the Mexican drug dealers, if the price is right???

Legal purchasers won't, but I'll bet the criminals have already figured that angle out....

Fo shizzle. Gun control doesn't prevent criminals from getting guns.

Gun control keeps law-abiding people from being able to defend themselves and to hold tyranny-inclined government in check. The latter is the real Prog agenda.

You know, I wouldn't mind background checks for buying guns if it also means we have background checks or ID cards when it comes to voting.

That would have changed the last two presidential elections... Tempting

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — The only gun store in San Francisco is shuttering for good, saying it can no longer operate in the city's political climate of increased gun control regulations and vocal opposition to its business.

"It's with tremendous sadness and regret that I have to announce we are closing our shop," High Bridge Arms manager Steve Alcairo announced in a Facebook post on Sept. 11. "It has been a long and difficult ride, but a great pleasure to be your last San Francisco gun shop."

Alcairo said the breaking point came this summer when a local politician proposed a law that would require High Bridge Arms to video record every gun sale and submit a weekly report of ammunition sales to the police. If passed, the law would join several local gun control ordinances on the books in a city still scarred by the 1993 murder of eight in a downtown high-rise and the 1978 assassination of Mayor George Moscone and gay rights activist Harvey Milk.

"I'm not doing that to our customers. Enough is enough," Alcairo said. "Buying a gun is a constitutionally protected right. Our customers shouldn't be treated like they're doing something wrong."

I consider NRA extremism the greatest threat to future gun rights. Compromise is not a dirty word - and the NRA needs to bend before it breaks by allowing sensible gun control measures like universal background checks. No sensible person should be against UBC. Joe Scarborough said it best: Extremism From "The Survivalist Wing" Of The NRA "Is The Greatest Danger To Gun Rights".

There are no gun shops in Oakland. Siegle's was driven out of business in 2007 via a huge increase in taxes.
Can't they buy one of the guns Obozo and Holder sent to the Mexican drug dealers, if the price is right???

Legal purchasers won't, but I'll bet the criminals have already figured that angle out....

Gun control keeps law-abiding people from being able to defend themselves and to hold tyranny-inclined government in check. The latter is the real Prog agenda.

Please explain how "Gun control keeps law-abiding people from being able to defend themselves and to hold tyranny-inclined government in check"...

Please explain how "Gun control keeps law-abiding people from being able to defend themselves and to hold tyranny-inclined government in check"...

No reason for the foolishness... Control is the key.

Hope and change

Well, to be fair, how are they supposed to hold off Jade Helm, with all their tanks and artillery, if someone takes their .22 Long rifles away...

It prevents law-abiding people from acquiring guns. The Progs actually advocate outright confiscation, bub.

I suggest you read a history of the Constitution to understand the purpose of the 2nd Amendment.

Guns should be none of the federal governments business... They screw up everything they touch.

Well, to be fair, how are they supposed to hold off Jade Helm, with all their tanks and artillery, if someone takes their .22 Long rifles away...

Well, to be fair, most warfare is guerilla-style.

The 2d Amendment, Tonto. It keeps nut cakes like Obugaloo from emulating Hitler.

It prevents law-abiding people from acquiring guns. The Progs actually advocate outright confiscation, bub.

I suggest you read a history of the Constitution to understand the purpose of the 2nd Amendment.

Yup.

After disbanding the Continental Army in 1783 a way was needed to have a military that was cheap and under civilian control.

So in 1791 an amendment was added to encourage private gun ownership and militia membership.

Unfortunately the militia model was abandoned after the war of 1812 because militias performed so poorly.

But the amendment stayed and unfortunately has been corrupted by the gun lobby and NRA that it no longer even closely resembles original intent.

Yet San Francisco has had 35 gun homicides this year so far. Good to see those gun control laws are working. :thup:

Idiots......
As opposed to Atlanta, which had 52?

Increase of murders in Atlanta?

Atlanta, gun friendly, half the population of San Francisco and more gun crime.

Gotta love it.

It's the individual that commits the crime not the place... A fool born every minute.

Did you lift that from a bumper sticker?

Be honest.

It's also obvious that the NICS database needs to be improved - otherwise, federal background checks don't mean much. The following article contains some good information:

How They Got Their Guns

Criminal histories and documented mental health problems did not prevent at least eight of the gunmen in 14 recent mass shootings from obtaining their weapons, after federal background checks led to approval of the purchases of the guns used.

DETAILS: How They Got Their Guns - The New York Times

Who is advocating for the "confiscation" of guns?

P

Who is advocating for the "confiscation" of guns?

Progressives

Law abiding gun owners and hunters should have nothing to fear from sensible gun control measures. I don't want to see the gun stores close in my neighborhood. Do you?

Hence the reason this store is closing, as there is nothing sensible about what San Franstalingrad was proposing. Naturally, you like you the law, because you're an authoritarian goose stepper

Forum List

Back