San Bernardino Shooting Prompts Nevada Politician To Drop His NRA Membership

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
566203ab210000dd005ac5b9.jpeg

Democrat John Oceguera, a former speaker of the Nevada assembly who's running for Congress, resigned his lifetime NRA membership because of what he said was the group's opposition to "any legislation that would help keep guns out of the hands of terrorists."

"I am law-abiding gun owner, and have been a Life Member of the National Rifle Association" Oceguera wrote in letter to NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre Thursday, posted on Oceguera's campaign website. "I grew up in a family of hunters. But more importantly, I'm a father and a husband. I believe that keeping our families safe is our most fundamental priority."

Oceguera's NRA resignation followed this week's mass shooting in San Bernardino, California, that police said was carried out by a husband and wife using legally purchased assault-style rifles and semi-automatic pistols. Federal officials on Friday said they had concluded the motive for the attack, which killed 14 people and wounded 21, was terrorism. Oceguera is running for Nevada's 4th Congressional District, currently represented by Republican Cresent Hardy.

Oceguera said in the letter he was disappointed the NRA "opposes any legislation that would help keep guns out of the hands of terrorists, criminals and the mentally ill, and spends millions to stop any action in Congress that could help prevent further violence."

"I cannot continue to be a member while the NRA refuses to back closing these loopholes," he added. "Therefore, I resign my membership in the NRA, effective immediately. Please remove my name from your membership list."

Republicans in he U.S. Senate on Thursday voted down an amendment that would have expanded background checks for people trying to purchase firearms at gun shows and on the Internet.

I salute you, Sir! I was also an NRA member for many years - until it was hijacked by radicals in 1977. Prior to that, the NRA was a good and honorable outfit.

Oh boo hoo.

I'm facing a gun ban up here again and I support anyone in the US that backs the NRA. You liberal gun grabbing assholes are maniacs. It won't make a dent in your deaths because where there is a will there is a way.

Look at Aussie land. Gun deaths went down. Knife deaths rose almost an equal amount.

Now I don't know about you but I personally would prefer to eat a bullet rather than being stabbed to death. Because my fucking stupid government made it so.

So what? I've never been a member of the NRA in the first place. The 4th is also quite a rural district outside of North Las Vegas, so I'm not sure he's really helped himself much in the election.

As a lifelong gun enthusiast, hunter, and law-abiding U.S. citizen - I fully support closing all loopholes, universal background checks, limiting magazine capacities, and accurate and timely information being fed into the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS).

Democrat John Oceguera, a former speaker of the Nevada assembly who's running for Congress, resigned his lifetime NRA membership because of what he said was the group's opposition to "any legislation that would help keep guns out of the hands of terrorists."

"I am law-abiding gun owner, and have been a Life Member of the National Rifle Association" Oceguera wrote in letter to NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre Thursday, posted on Oceguera's campaign website. "I grew up in a family of hunters. But more importantly, I'm a father and a husband. I believe that keeping our families safe is our most fundamental priority."

Oceguera's NRA resignation followed this week's mass shooting in San Bernardino, California, that police said was carried out by a husband and wife using legally purchased assault-style rifles and semi-automatic pistols. Federal officials on Friday said they had concluded the motive for the attack, which killed 14 people and wounded 21, was terrorism. Oceguera is running for Nevada's 4th Congressional District, currently represented by Republican Cresent Hardy.

Oceguera said in the letter he was disappointed the NRA "opposes any legislation that would help keep guns out of the hands of terrorists, criminals and the mentally ill, and spends millions to stop any action in Congress that could help prevent further violence."

"I cannot continue to be a member while the NRA refuses to back closing these loopholes," he added. "Therefore, I resign my membership in the NRA, effective immediately. Please remove my name from your membership list."

Republicans in he U.S. Senate on Thursday voted down an amendment that would have expanded background checks for people trying to purchase firearms at gun shows and on the Internet.

I salute you, Sir! I was also an NRA member for many years - until it was hijacked by radicals in 1977. Prior to that, the NRA was a good and honorable outfit.
Imagine that, a career politician a coward... Lol

Oh boo hoo.

I'm facing a gun ban up here again and I support anyone in the US that backs the NRA. You liberal gun grabbing assholes are maniacs. It won't make a dent in your deaths because where there is a will there is a way.

Look at Aussie land. Gun deaths went down. Knife deaths rose almost an equal amount.

Now I don't know about you but I personally would prefer to eat a bullet rather than being stabbed to death. Because my fucking stupid government made it so.

I hope they start banning guns soon. Just certain types. You can still have your peashooters, just not the assault rifles.

By the way, I live in Australia. And you're wrong about knife deaths. More ignorant BS fuelling your POV...

It is his right to do so as an American. It is my right to disagree with position.

That is all fine and dandy until his position is to impose his version of right and wrong on me...........................

You don't punish the innocent for the act of criminals, or in this case Terrorists who found Radical Islam.

Oh boo hoo.

I hope they start banning guns soon. Just certain types. You can still have your peashooters, just not the assault rifles.

By the way, I live in Australia. And you're wrong about knife deaths. More ignorant BS fuelling your POV...

Oh boo hoo.

Too bad he is being a useful idiot. The wording of the 2nd amendment was changed specifically to keep slave militias armed so they could put down slave revolts.

Here is a better link.

Article 4, Section 4: Debate in Virginia Ratifying Convention

"The 10th section of the 1st article, to which reference was made by the worthy member, militates against himself. It says, that "no state shall engage in war, unless actually invaded." If you give this clause a fair construction, what is the true meaning of it? What does this relate to? Not domestic insurrections, but war. If the country be invaded, a state may go to war, but cannot suppress insurrections. If there should happen an insurrection of slaves, the country cannot be said to be invaded. They cannot, therefore, suppress it without the interposition of Congress. "

Last edited:
Oh boo hoo.

Too bad he is being a useful idiot. The wording of the 2nd amendment was changed specifically to keep slave militias armed so they could put down slave revolts.

The Second Amendment was Ratified to Preserve Slavery

Sounds like you're deflecting??

Regan and the NRA were key supporters of the Mulford Act which was enacted to disarm the Black Panthers in the 60's. Yes you read that right....the NRA.

Black Panthers and Gun Control: The NRA's Flip Flop

"Reagan claimed that the Mulford Act, as it became known, "would work no hardship on the honest citizen." The NRA actually helped craft similar legislation in states across the country. Fast-forward to 2013, and it is a white-male dominated NRA, largely made up of Southern conservatives and gun owners from the Midwest and Southwestern states, that argues "do not tread on me" in the gun debate."

Oh boo hoo.

Educating. Take the opportunity to learn.

So a far left drone drops their NRA membership to appease the extremists in his party..

Oh boo hoo.

My links are bang on the money honey to your Crime labs. With the stats.

Oh boo hoo.

That's total bullshit. Read the 14th. Stop fucking lying.

Oh boo hoo.

Educating. Take the opportunity to learn.

Equating the second amendment with slavery?? Progressives have no shame...
Political correctness has infiltrated your DNA I feel sorry for you...

Oh boo hoo.

That's total bullshit. Read the 14th. Stop fucking lying.

Claiming something is total bullshit doesnt mean much. Be specific about your objection. Read the link. The people that were responsible for it were quoted.

Forum List

Back