Saddam / Osama September 11th link

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by MASTER G, Dec 1, 2003.

?

Did Osama and Saddam work together towards 9/11

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    77.8%
  1. MASTER G

MASTER G Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to this site so I just wanted to investigate a querie because this interests me. I live in England and over here the government has never mentioned a link between Saddam and Osama and 9/11. It seems to me like a lot of people in America believe that the events of 9/11 are a strong argument for going to war with Iraq and that they believe Saddam and Osama were linked. I would just like to hear people's opinions on this and for them to argue their point.

2. Lefty Wilbury

Lefty Wilbury Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36
    no one has mention saddam was involed with 9-11 but saddam is linked to obl as well as many other terrorist groups that have targeted the US. links to Abu Nidal and 93 bombing suspects Abdul Rahman Yasin amoung many many others.

3. Psychoblues

Psychoblues Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Very little has been said concerning the Saddam/bin Laden connection. But one thing is certailnly clear. Even not saying much, this administration certainly implies that the connection is/was there. A recent Zogby poll suggests that about 65% of Americans believe there to be a connection. I think my number is correct but it is only from memory and at my age my memory fails me sometimes.

I don't believe there was any connection. In fact, I believe that Saddam and bin Laden each considered the other a heretic. It has been shown, however, that there were sites in Irag where al queda trained and that al queda members have been reported to have visited Irag on multiple occasions. Of course it is now known that al queda regularly visited flight schools in Arizona, Florida, Montana and a few more. They also visited most major cities in this country and a bunch of them are still here in my honest opinion. But that doesn't make us complicit in the evil doings of the al queda, does it?

4. MASTER G

MASTER G Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Could you please provide a little more evidence of Saddam's links with terrorists, I would like to hear any theories please. Personally, I don't believe Saddam and Osama were linked fundamentally because of their differences of religion, and we all know how extreme OBL is about religion. I was reading up on this and I now believe that Osama had in fact wanted to kill Saddam when Saddam was a large benefactor to the U.S. for arms dealings, and the government at that time wouldn't allow this to happen and this is one of the reasons Osama turned against the west. I agree George & Co. have never said out loud that they were linked and he was linked with 9/11, but they certainly do imply it. Why else would George endlessly mention 9/11 in his speeches on the war in Iraq. I've just had a week of listening to him telling me about freedom ect, and it sounds to me like he used 9/11 as a scapegoat to persuade the people of America to support a war against Iraq. I have seen endless news reports with interviews with americans and a sizable majority of them mention 9/11 when asked about the war. That is what gave me the impression that many people in america believe in this link with no proof actually being given.

5. Psychoblues

Psychoblues Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you. Classified don't you know? Just kidding you Master G. Really, there has been no evidence whatsoever that I've ever seen or even heard strong rumors about concerning the Saddam/bin Laden/911 connection. Just a lot of implications from this administration. Like you, I think that Saddam and bin Laden are so fundamentally different on their world, political and religious views that there would never be any kind of mutual collaboration on the 911 thing or about anything else.

By the way, WELCOME to this board!!!!!!!!! I hope you enjoy your time here. I'm a newbie as well, just joined last evening. I really think this board will take off given some exposure.

6. lilcountriegal

lilcountriegal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Eh.. I'm not really sure where I stand in comparison with you two. Do I think Saddam had anything to do with 9/11? No. BUT I do believe there is an Al-Queda / Iraq link. Where the two religions share hatred for each other, the two leaders also share hatred for the West. I believe their hatred for the West would overcome religious affiliation.

On this.... I see this in a completely different light. George Bush's reference to 9/11 in his Iraq speeches more leans toward terrorism in general than trying to tie the two together. I see it as a "look what happened on 9/11 when we ignored terrorism. Look what could happen again if we ignore terrorism in ANY nation, including Iraq".

But again, thats just how I look at it. I'm sure many people with disagree, but I just thought I'd toss my two cents in the pile.

:)

7. Lefty Wilbury

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36
  8. lilcountriegal

lilcountriegal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Thanks for the links Lefty. I just clicked on a few and browsed real quick.. something ill dive into later when I get home from work and have more time.

I'm thinking the links were put there mainly in response to MasterG's question, however, i wanted to clarify something on my behalf that didnt seem to come out clearly:

I do not believe Saddam helped in the planning and with the finer details of September 11th. I believe that was OBL. However, I think he's linked in all other ways, from helping train terrorists to [probably] supplying weapons to Al-Queda, possibly even knowing there was a plan, even if he didnt know what that plan was. So... do I think Saddam had anything to do with 9/11? No as far as planning the finer details, but yes in most other aspects.

These are stricly opinion with no links to back it up, just different pieces of information I've picked up here and there. (and admittedly I've read little on the direct link between Iraq/OBL... this is something that, with much more research, my opinion could sway one way or the other)

Regardless, I just wanted to clear up my first post, it didnt seem as clear as I wanted it to. thanks again for the links.. it will make for some interesting reading later.

9. Lefty Wilbury

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36
    iraq was a one stop shop for terrorist. saddam might not have known about/involved with 9-11 but there is more then enough evidence to show he made contacts with obl. the czechs still stand behind their iraqi intel officer-atta meeting in prague. we've got the officer in question in custody and he's talking quite nicely.

as far as obl and saddam hating each other you know what they say the enemy of my enemy is my friend. the best link i posted is the 93 bombing one. it talks about iraqi involvement in it. the article is from 95/96. remember when you reading it that ramzi yousef's uncle is Khalid Shaikh Mohammed mastermind of 9-11 and the camp where the plan was hatched and the first little bits of planing were done was one of the camps bombed by clinton in 98.

10. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    I read a book about a year ago called "A Study of Revenge." it was about Saddam Hussein/Iraq's support for the 1993 WTC bombing, through money, hiding terrorists, etc. I can't remember the author (sorry) but the book came out in 2001, right around 9/11. A very interesting book, and one that lays out Saddam's ties with terrorism, if not al-Qaeda in specific. After reading the book, I am convinced that Saddam's support of terrorism made him a legitimate target in the War on Terrorism.