Sad

RetiredGySgt, You do realize you'll still get no quarter from the bad liberals on this board, this one included. Depression runs on my mother's side, two aunts suffered from it their entire life. Curiously when one died recently she never once complained as she slowly died from cancer. People marveled at a stoicism few have. William Styron's 'Darkness Visible' is the best personal account I have ever read on the topic.

Not to get into a debate on this but my father in law a WWII veteran confirms the cutbacks and whatnot in the VA under Bush and the republicans. He still uses the VA for a few issues. While their numbers are decreasing they still get together yearly, D Day + one veterans.

RetiredGySgt, You do realize you'll still get no quarter from the bad liberals on this board, this one included. Depression runs on my mother's side, two aunts suffered from it their entire life. Curiously when one died recently she never once complained as she slowly died from cancer. People marveled at a stoicism few have. William Styron's 'Darkness Visible' is the best personal account I have ever read on the topic.

Not to get into a debate on this but my father in law a WWII veteran confirms the cutbacks and whatnot in the VA under Bush and the republicans. He still uses the VA for a few issues. While their numbers are decreasing they still get together yearly, D Day + one veterans.

Provide a single case of a cut. You know , a less then before thing. All you people have is " he didn't make a big enough INCREASE" and for the slow, that is NOT a cut.

RGS, If there is one clear thing about republican rule since gaining power under Clinton it is the inability to know what is really going on. I just finished reading, "The Big Con," in which Jonathan Chait itemizes the methods used to keep the electorate in the dark. Amazing stuff. You can argue but a quick search revealed the following items in a few minutes. Call it something other than cuts if you like, but in the end those who did not serve like Bush/Cheney care nada about veterans - they care only about their own, the rich and privileged.

http://democrats.senate.gov/dpc/dpc-new.cfm?doc_name=tp-108-1-405
The Bush Administration's budget for veterans' health falls far short of needs. Despite the current crisis in veterans' health care - some 130,000 are waiting six months or more for an appointments at VA hospitals and clinics - President Bush submitted a Fiscal Year 2004 budget request for VA health that is $1.8 billion below the Independent Budget produced by AMVETS, Disabled American Veterans, Paralyzed Veterans of America, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States. Despite promises by House Republican leaders to increase the VA budget by $3.4 billion, the House Appropriations Committee provided only a $1.4 billion increase. The Senate Appropriations Committee has added $1.57 billion to the President's request, and Democrats will fight to ensure that this funding - which gets around Republican budget constraints by requiring the President to declare an emergency - is protected and will push to increase funding to levels recommended in the Independent Budget.

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/02/12/bush-wants-cuts-to-veterans-health-care/
“The Bush administration plans to cut funding for veterans’ health care two years from now — even as badly wounded troops returning from Iraq could overwhelm the system. Bush is using the cuts, critics say, to help fulfill his pledge to balance the budget by 2012. … Even though the cost of providing medical care to veterans has been growing rapidly — by more than 10 percent in many years — White House budget documents assume consecutive cutbacks in 2009 and 2010 and a freeze thereafter.”

http://usliberals.about.com/od/theeconomyjobs/a/SenateBudget.htm
Veterans Medical Care – The Senate voted 96 to 4 to add $410 million to fund medical services for US veterans. Bush had proposed raising co-payments and eligibility requirements for benefits.

http://choice.blog.com/1536540/
The number of veterans coming into the VA health care system has been rising by about 5 percent a year as the number of people returning from Iraq with illnesses or injuries keep rising. Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans represent almost 5 percent of the VA’s patient caseload, and many are returning from battle with grievous injuries requiring costly care, such as traumatic brain injuries.

All told, the VA expects to treat about 5.8 million patients next year, including 263,000 veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan.

The White House budget office, however, assumes that the veterans’ medical services budget — up 83 percent since Bush took office and winning a big increase in Bush’s proposed 2008 budget — can absorb a 2 percent cut the following year and remain essentially frozen for three years in a row after that.

“It’s implausible,” U.S. Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash., said of the budget projections.

Ahh yes you continue to argue that an increase is a cut if it is not as big as YOU want it to be I see. Further you argue that a President will effect a budget for 2 years after he leaves office even though you have in the past blamed Bush for the Budget the first year he took office. And of course the fact that even if true those 2 years would NOT be cuts but rather holds on increases.

You really need to learn to read and comprehend what words mean.

Happiness

So early it's still almost dark out.
I'm near the window with coffee,
and the usual early morning stuff
that passes for thought.

When I see the boy and his friend
walking up the road
to deliver the newspaper.

They wear caps and sweaters,
and one boy has a bag over his shoulder.
They are so happy
they aren't saying anything, these boys.

I think if they could, they would take
each other's arm.
It's early in the morning,
and they are doing this thing together.

They come on, slowly.
The sky is taking on light,
though the moon still hangs pale over the water.

Such beauty that for a minute
death and ambition, even love,
doesn't enter into this.

Happiness. It comes on
unexpectedly. And goes beyond, really,
any early morning talk about it.

Raymond Carver

RGS, If there is one clear thing about republican rule since gaining power under Clinton it is the inability to know what is really going on. I just finished reading, "The Big Con," in which Jonathan Chait itemizes the methods used to keep the electorate in the dark. Amazing stuff. You can argue but a quick search revealed the following items in a few minutes. Call it something other than cuts if you like, but in the end those who did not serve like Bush/Cheney care nada about veterans - they care only about their own, the rich and privileged.

http://democrats.senate.gov/dpc/dpc-new.cfm?doc_name=tp-108-1-405
The Bush Administration's budget for veterans' health falls far short of needs. Despite the current crisis in veterans' health care - some 130,000 are waiting six months or more for an appointments at VA hospitals and clinics - President Bush submitted a Fiscal Year 2004 budget request for VA health that is $1.8 billion below the Independent Budget produced by AMVETS, Disabled American Veterans, Paralyzed Veterans of America, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States. Despite promises by House Republican leaders to increase the VA budget by $3.4 billion, the House Appropriations Committee provided only a $1.4 billion increase. The Senate Appropriations Committee has added $1.57 billion to the President's request, and Democrats will fight to ensure that this funding - which gets around Republican budget constraints by requiring the President to declare an emergency - is protected and will push to increase funding to levels recommended in the Independent Budget.

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/02/12/bush-wants-cuts-to-veterans-health-care/
“The Bush administration plans to cut funding for veterans’ health care two years from now — even as badly wounded troops returning from Iraq could overwhelm the system. Bush is using the cuts, critics say, to help fulfill his pledge to balance the budget by 2012. … Even though the cost of providing medical care to veterans has been growing rapidly — by more than 10 percent in many years — White House budget documents assume consecutive cutbacks in 2009 and 2010 and a freeze thereafter.”

http://usliberals.about.com/od/theeconomyjobs/a/SenateBudget.htm
Veterans Medical Care – The Senate voted 96 to 4 to add $410 million to fund medical services for US veterans. Bush had proposed raising co-payments and eligibility requirements for benefits.

http://choice.blog.com/1536540/
The number of veterans coming into the VA health care system has been rising by about 5 percent a year as the number of people returning from Iraq with illnesses or injuries keep rising. Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans represent almost 5 percent of the VA’s patient caseload, and many are returning from battle with grievous injuries requiring costly care, such as traumatic brain injuries.

All told, the VA expects to treat about 5.8 million patients next year, including 263,000 veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan.

The White House budget office, however, assumes that the veterans’ medical services budget — up 83 percent since Bush took office and winning a big increase in Bush’s proposed 2008 budget — can absorb a 2 percent cut the following year and remain essentially frozen for three years in a row after that.

“It’s implausible,” U.S. Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash., said of the budget projections.

What a trainwreck you are.:rolleyes:

Funny how it's okay to take a medicine for a physical ailment, but when it comes to a "mental" problem (which is probably caused by a physical imbalance or change) we still have the old stereotypes.

When my doctor put me on Paxil, my first feeling was embarassment. After finding out how many other people my age have also suffered depression, fuck the naysayers.

We get older. Our bodies change. It can affect our mental outlook.

Start with the mildest and work your way up. Go online, however, and read up on all the drugs your doctor prescribes. The FDA doesn't always do the job it shoud.

I was given Keteck for a really bad case of sinusitis a few years ago. Now the drug has been pulled off the market. Seems it killed some folks.

Also having a family that cares and a personal belief system that puts the everyday shit into perspective helps a lot.

Remember: Fuck em all but nine. Six to carry the coffin. Two to fold the flag. One to blow taps.

But what about the hypothesis that treating mental illness with manufactured chemicals undermines the process of natural selection?

Forum List

Back