"Sacrifice" for your country

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I pay taxes, but that's no "sacrifice" because it is required by law.

I went into the military service for three years and served 18 months in Vietnam. Was that a "sacrifice"? Not for me, actually. I needed a break from the world to get my head right. I came out with money in the bank, a pile of maturity, the GI bill, and my life was better for the experience and even the tangibles I got.

If my adult son joins the Marine Corps and gets killed overseas, what is my "sacrifice"?

Nothing.

It is a LOSS, certainly, but a sacrifice is something that YOU give up voluntarily. You cannot give up the life of an adult son. That is HIS sacrifice, not yours.

Most Americans sacrifice nothing for their country. In fact, they look to their Country to give them free stuff. Free education, college grants and loans, welfare, housing assistance, food stamps, subsidized flood insurance, a "cake"job with good pay, fantastic benefits and only a little bit of work to do (I've been there, so don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about).

Politicians like to think that they are making a sacrifice by entering into "Public Service," but for most of them, it is simply a way to feed their egos, adopt a lifestyle they like, and pretend to be benefitting their fellow Americans. If a successful businessman takes a 90% pay cut and walks away from a successful business in order to run for and hold a public office, THAT IS A SACRIFICE. If he spends millions on his own campaign - in an attempt to do something good for the overall society - then those millions are also a sacrifice.

What has HRC or Barry ever sacrificed for their country?

Not a fucking thing. they used government employment to enrich themselves and feed their enormous egos. Not that there's anything wrong with that; most politicians are the same, but I really don't want to hear about most of them being public servants and sacrificing for the country. it's all BS.

I agree with everything you said DGS49 except the part about when your son died it wouldn't be your sacrifice. It most certainly would be.

I went into the military service for three years and served 18 months in Vietnam. Was that a "sacrifice"? Not for me, actually. I needed a break from the world to get my head right. I came out with money in the bank, a pile of maturity, the GI bill, and my life was better for the experience and even the tangibles I got.

If my adult son joins the Marine Corps and gets killed overseas, what is my "sacrifice"?

Nothing.

It is a LOSS, certainly, but a sacrifice is something that YOU give up voluntarily. You cannot give up the life of an adult son. That is HIS sacrifice, not yours.

Most Americans sacrifice nothing for their country. In fact, they look to their Country to give them free stuff. Free education, college grants and loans, welfare, housing assistance, food stamps, subsidized flood insurance, a "cake"job with good pay, fantastic benefits and only a little bit of work to do (I've been there, so don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about).

Politicians like to think that they are making a sacrifice by entering into "Public Service," but for most of them, it is simply a way to feed their egos, adopt a lifestyle they like, and pretend to be benefitting their fellow Americans. If a successful businessman takes a 90% pay cut and walks away from a successful business in order to run for and hold a public office, THAT IS A SACRIFICE. If he spends millions on his own campaign - in an attempt to do something good for the overall society - then those millions are also a sacrifice.

Not a fucking thing. they used government employment to enrich themselves and feed their enormous egos. Not that there's anything wrong with that; most politicians are the same, but I really don't want to hear about most of them being public servants and sacrificing for the country. it's all BS.

Great post....I can't add a single thing.

Nothing.

Correct The Record on Hillary and President Obama and sacrifice

Both took time off from school and careers to volunteer, Both looked at public service as a worthy goal, even though both were considered so brilliant as your law school grads that they could have gone anywhere and named their own price,

What has Dopey Donald in his Goofy Hat ever sacrificed? Lots, in phony lawsuits attacking people in order to bankrupt them for daring to suggest Trump was being 'unfair' and crooked in his dealings with people in business

I love conservatives . Suddenly military service is no sacrifice ? You phonies will turn a 180 at the drop of a hat .

Obama could've lived an easy wealthy life at some big law firm . Instead he opted to help the community and enter public service.

Has Trump EVER done anything to help his fellow Americans ? Does he have an altruistic bone in his body ??

Ok. So according tonthe righties, these things ain't sacrafices .

-military service
-child killed during military service
-public service, elected position or not .

So tell us . What does count as "sacrifice "????

Ok. So according tonthe righties, these things ain't sacrafices .

-military service
-child killed during military service
-public service, elected position or not .

So tell us . What does count as "sacrifice "????
It most likely involves the blood of a goat.

They havent.......they just make tons.of money in the govt.....
Actually, the facts are the Clintons made little money while employed in government service

They had free room and board, free air and ground transportation and were waited on hand and foot as Governor of Arkansas.. Throw in $400,000 and expenses for 8 years in the White House and they did pretty good.
It's now official, you're an imbecile

Nothing.

what did donald sacrifice for his country?

btw, your concept of sacrifice, while literal, i suppose, is a bit of a joke if you think dumb donald has sacrificed anything but military service and the loss of a son aren't.

that's kind of duplicitous and bizarre.

Actually, the facts are the Clintons made little money while employed in government service

i doubt that. she was one of the top 100 lawyers in the country when she left practice for her husband.

just saying.

i guess the o/p would consider that a sacrifice but not the loss of a child.

*shakes head*.

They had free room and board, free air and ground transportation and were waited on hand and foot as Governor of Arkansas.. Throw in $400,000 and expenses for 8 years in the White House and they did pretty good.
It's now official, you're an imbecile

You aren't very good at math are you. 8 times $400,000 is 3.2 million.

I love conservatives . Suddenly military service is no sacrifice ?
Who said that? For the OP it wasn't because he wanted to get away. It's his choice. Kahn the pocket constitution thumper didn't make the sacrifice, his son did. You're a liberal and probably still won't get it.

I love conservatives . Suddenly military service is no sacrifice ?
Who said that? For the OP it wasn't because he wanted to get away. It's his choice. Kahn the pocket constitution thumper didn't make the sacrifice, his son did. You're a liberal and probably still won't get it.

We haven't had a draft in 40 years . Everyone in the military is a volunteer at this point .

FOR ME, military service was no sacrifice. Among the options I had available to me, it was the right thing to do, and although it cost me three years of my life, those three years would not likely have benefitted me more (in fact, less) than the three years I spent in the Army.

For some people, military service is a sacrifice but not for all. I personally put it at about 50/50. Most people going into the military service as enlisted people (or as officers, for that matter) are choosing the best option they have available to them, financially and professionally. The fact that they risk their lives is a big plus - and a huge benefit to America - but don't forget warfare today is nothing like it was historically. 50,000 people died over Vietnam and a similar number in Korea. The casualties in Iraq, Afgannystan, and nearby conflicts are a small fraction of those numbers, despite similar numbers of soldiers at risk.

Sacrifice is something I do - not my son. Unless a parent grooms his son to be a soldier and pushes that option strongly, it's no "sacrifice" for the parent. It is a LOSS when a child dies, but not a sacrifice on the part of the parents. They didn't enlist, their son did.

There is no indication that either Barry or HRC could have made a lot of money as lawyers. A nice living, yes, but mid-six figures and up, I don't think so. Neither had any interest in the sorts of law that generate a high income. And neither one has ever had a real job, for what that's worth.

As a private citizen, my greatest contribution is do PRODUCE something that other people are willing to pay for, and in the process (a) utilize resources, (b) create employment, and (c) make me (and hopefully some other people) rich.

The greatest social worker who ever lived cannot produce as much public benefit as Bill Gates (ignoring his charitable contributions). He and his entrepreneurial ventures put food on the table of hundreds of thousands of people, and it was NOT provided by charity, but rather through their own productive efforts.

And even if Donald Trump produces ALL of his goods overseas, he has still created thousands and thousands of U.S. domestic jobs in an infinite variety of fields, including construction, manufacturing, banking, insurance, the gambling and hospitality industries, and on and on and on. To belittle this real societal contribution because his neckties are made in Bangladesh or some such country is baloney.

And paying all these millions to campaign (and probably lose), walking away from his business for a year or more - like it or not that is a sacrifice that is much greater than any career politician makes to run for President.

And if you really are a "good" person, I would suggest that creating employment in Bangladesh is a GREATER CONTRIBUTION TO HUMANITY than creating a minimum wage job in a textile sweatshop in Alabama. Right?

I was the only one of three boys that didnt join the army. I am in it for me..just like the rest of america....no pun ntended.

Forum List

Back