S.F. Supes Pass Happy Meal Ban with Veto-Proof Majority

Where does it say anything in the Constitution that forbid's laws that infringe on an individual's right to get a free toy when they buy a shitty meal for their kids?

That's more than a bit off topic. Nobody's arguing that what was done is illegal. Just that is it fucking stupid, which it is. But hey... if the nitwits in SF want to be regulated to death by their local government.. so be it, that is their right.

I heard next year the World Series champion San Fransisco Giants will be under local ordinance to sell only tofu dogs at the ball park. Local legislators determined it is not fair of the team to entice the public with a game of baseball while closing the gates and selling only hot dogs...Have you seen how obese some of these fans are? :lol:

http://sunspotz.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/fat-kid.jpg

Ha ha. And no more little kid merchandise being marketed to children. Baseball can be a very dangerous sport.
They should probably stop keeping score, too, and give every player a little trophy for participating.

Go figure... That's why California is so screwed. You have dumbasses running the government. If I were McDonalds I would raise the price on all of the food and put a notice up in every restaurant saying due to the regulations of the State and Local Governments prices have increased.

For some reason I still don't think Californians understand why it's so expensive to live there.

oh they understand Kman.....they see whats going on.....but its party first.....their attitude is "if they want this...well i gotta go along.....and if it costs me more....ill just have to make due.....after all they are for the people,and they have my best interests at heart".....

why yes of course, while their city falls apart, time to do something breathtakingly idiotic. They have to much tome on their hands to boot.

The supes today passed an ordinance that will require meals to meet nutritional guidelines if restaurants wish to include a toy with the food purchase. More importantly, the supes passed the so-called "Happy Meal Ban" by an 8-3 vote ― meaning it can survive a promised veto from Mayor Gavin Newsom. That's right: San Francisco done banned the Happy Meal. Robble robble.

rest at-
S.F. Supes Pass Happy Meal Ban with Veto-Proof Majority - San Francisco Restaurants and Dining - SFoodie

Didn't you get the memo? Parents are unable to make these decisions anymore. They're too busy and need someone else to tell them what to do.

What a whacked-out place that is. :cuckoo:

If these "parents" were doing such a fantastic job, I doubt the child obesity rate would be slightly above 30%. These children are not to blame and why shouldn't someone look out for them, if their parents refuse to?

fast food places are not exactly known for nutritious foods and have never been known for that....if these kids got fat it is because they over eat at home and are not outside running around.....the City council should be replaced by ALL those irate parents....at least 8 of them.....but i am willing to bet they all get re-elected....

I've never understood the logic behind people thinking lower-income families can't afford to eat healthy. Fast food is much cheaper than chicken, rice, and corn I make at home.

Well, they can. Fresh fruit and veggies from grocery stores are actually cheap. Remember, this is America, and healthy food is in lower demand than junk.

But forcing McDonalds to ship that fresh produce in and changing their menus and registers computers, and pricing, training employees for the changes, etc, etc, is gonna cause the prices of the meals to go up. The $3 Happy Meal and an hour of exercise on the playground is what made McDonalds such a great place for low income families. They can feed their kid for cheap, get a free toy, and play for a while for free on the equipment. Truly a wonderful thing McDonalds did for the customers.

But San Fran had to end that.

I messed up my point. Fast food is NOT much cheaper than the chicken, rice and corn I make at home. :redface:

That might be an argument for sterilization; not for a ban on kiddie toys.

Lots of really, really shitty parents out there. Chubbies are the least of society's problems.

The all caring Liberals have banned toys in happy meals in San Fransisco, I cannot think of one thing that is more callous, ignorant, and hateful. Another step towards banning Christmas, for healths sake, thats an awful big meal, and to reward children we give them toys, any holiday with toy given to children will be banned next. Liberals are literally looking for reasons to ban toys.

Happy Meals toy ban survives mayoral veto : City Insider

Happy Meals toy ban survives mayoral veto. As expected, the Board of Supervisors today bucked Mayor Gavin Newsom, and overrode his veto of legislation to bar fast-food restaurants from giving away toys in kids meals.

The new law, modeled after a Santa Clara County ordinance adopted earlier this year, aims to combat childhood obesity and hold ''the fast-food industry accountable to creating healthier choices for our kids,'' said Supervisor Eric Mar.

The board voted 8-3 to override Newsom's veto, the bare minimum needed. Joining Mar were Supervisors John Avalos, David Campos, David Chiu, Chris Daly, Bevan Dufty, Sophie Maxwell and Ross Mirkarimi. Opposed were Supervisors Michela Alioto-Pier, Carmen Chu and Sean Elsbernd.

A day late and a dollar short. Threads Merged. -EZ

Unintended consequences. They can't give away a toy but they can sell one for 10 cents. LOL!!!!

Today and tomorrow mark the last days that put-upon parents can satiate their youngsters by simply throwing down $2.18 for a Happy Meal toy. But, thanks to the new law taking effect on Dec. 1, this is no longer permitted. Now, in order to have the privilege of making a 10-cent charitable donation in exchange for the toy, you must buy the Happy Meal. Hilariously, it appears Mar et al., in their desire to keep McDonald's from selling grease and fat to kids with the lure of a toy have now actually incentivized the purchase of that grease and fat -- when, beforehand, a put-upon parent could get out cheaper and healthier with just the damn toy.

Happy Meal Ban: McDonald's Outsmarts San Francisco - San Francisco News - The Snitch

Unintended consequences. They can't give away a toy but they can sell one for 10 cents. LOL!!!!

Today and tomorrow mark the last days that put-upon parents can satiate their youngsters by simply throwing down $2.18 for a Happy Meal toy. But, thanks to the new law taking effect on Dec. 1, this is no longer permitted. Now, in order to have the privilege of making a 10-cent charitable donation in exchange for the toy, you must buy the Happy Meal. Hilariously, it appears Mar et al., in their desire to keep McDonald's from selling grease and fat to kids with the lure of a toy have now actually incentivized the purchase of that grease and fat -- when, beforehand, a put-upon parent could get out cheaper and healthier with just the damn toy.

Happy Meal Ban: McDonald's Outsmarts San Francisco - San Francisco News - The Snitch

:clap2:

Typical liberal strategy: Ready, fire, aim. :lol:

That's pretty funny. :lol:

In my 'perfect' world, San Francisco has the right to pass any ordinance or law it wishes re zoning, public conduct, or whatever so long as they do not violate the rights of any person. It really is no big deal as there are very few McDonalds in San Francisco due to high land costs, but so be it no matter how leftwing looney big brotherish wacko stupid city officials make themselves look doing this kind of stuff.

But as is pointed out, McDonalds has outsmarted the loonies. And good for them.

What are there like two McDonald's in the city?

One on bayshore and one on VanNess (i think?).

I don't know. When our daughter was still working on her PhD and living in Palo Alto, she was going to be out for most of the day when we were visiting so Mr. F and I drove ourselves into San Francisco for the day. We were looking for a McDonalds for breakfast and finally--after driving a long ways--spotted one off to the right. Took the next exit that didn't take us to McDonalds but got us hopelessly lost. We finally wound up at Pier 7 on the Bay--waaaaaay off the beaten path--and found a little hole in the wall restaurant on the pier--wooden picnic tables with oil cloth covers--bare wood floors--exposed beams in the ceiling, etc. They catered to the longshoremen and the smallest breakfast on the menu was three eggs. But oh my, was it good!! We finally found our way on to Fisherman's Wharf, China Town, etc. and had a great day. But that breakfast was definitely a high point of it.

What are there like two McDonald's in the city?

One on bayshore and one on VanNess (i think?).

I don't know. When our daughter was still working on her PhD and living in Palo Alto, she was going to be out for most of the day when we were visiting so Mr. F and I drove ourselves into San Francisco for the day. We were looking for a McDonalds for breakfast and finally--after driving a long ways--spotted one off to the right. Took the next exit that didn't take us to McDonalds but got us hopelessly lost. We finally wound up at Pier 7 on the Bay--waaaaaay off the beaten path--and found a little hole in the wall restaurant on the pier--wooden picnic tables with oil cloth covers--bare wood floors--exposed beams in the ceiling, etc. They catered to the longshoremen and the smallest breakfast on the menu was three eggs. But oh my, was it good!! We finally found our way on to Fisherman's Wharf, China Town, etc. and had a great day. But that breakfast was definitely a high point of it.

When I lived in SF, one of my favorite pasttimes was my mom and me getting lost then try to find our way back. We'd take a bus at random, get off and wander around. Once we got off on Grant Avenue, main street of Chinatown and just started walking. The streets got narrower and darker. English disappeared from stores and even street signs. We were in a warren of nothing more than damp alleys. People looked at us like we really didn't belong there and we really didn't. Finally realizing we were in serious trouble we stopped at a bakery (I think it was a bakery of some kind) to get fish scale pastries and directions. The pastries were vile, the woman spoke no English but a whole lot of pointing and arm flailing got us back to the bus stop.

San Francisco used to be a wonderous city, marvelous in architecture and social fabric. It pains me to see its descent into insanity.

Forum List

Back