Russia's Goals Now Expand Beyond Donbas.

Donald H

Platinum Member
Nov 26, 2020

Lavrov claims that peace was offered but the Ukraine declined the offer when Russia was only interested in the Donbass. Now he gives reasons from Russia's POV on why the war must be expanded.

There's now an entirely different discussion to be had on the war. IMO America should have allowed the peace to happen sooner. Or rather, the war shouldn't have been necessary at all.

Lavrov claims that peace was offered but the Ukraine declined the offer when Russia was only interested in the Donbass. Now he gives reasons from Russia's POV on why the war must be expanded.

There's now an entirely different discussion to be had on the war. IMO America should have allowed the peace to happen sooner. Or rather, the war shouldn't have been necessary at all.
His real message (threat) was that since the new weapons supplied to Ukraine by its allies are taking a terrible toll on Russian forces in occupied Ukraine, Russia will be forced to annex more Ukrainian land. So a day after Putin whines about the sanctions damaging the Russian economy Lavrov starts whining about the terrible toll these new weapons are taking on Russian forces in occupied Ukraine. A bad day for Russia is a good day for the rest of the world.

His real message (threat) was that since the new weapons supplied to Ukraine by its allies are taking a terrible toll on Russian forces in occupied Ukraine, Russia will be forced to annex more Ukrainian land. So a day after Putin whines about the sanctions damaging the Russian economy Lavrov starts whining about the terrible toll these new weapons are taking on Russian forces in occupied Ukraine.
I think you're making a valid point on America's weapons being successful in hurting the Donbas region. This could be motivating Russia to change to taking the entire Ukraine, as a buffer zone between Russia's border and the US.
A bad day for Russia is a good day for the rest of the world.
A bad day for Russia is a good day for America's alliance at least!

Now I'm wondering if Russia truly regrets having to start this war? Russia certainly claims that they didn't think a war was necessary.

Believing that the Putin regime intended to confine themselves only to the Donbas... Well, you can't fix stupid.

Believing that the Putin regime intended to confine themselves only to the Donbas... Well, you can't fix stupid.
Yes, it's a hotly contested question but expanding the war to taking the entire Ukraine doesn't sound like Putin's regret?

It sounds like Russia's resolve on not giving anymore ground to America. Or to 'Nato' if you and others insist?

Yes, it's a hotly contested question but expanding the war to taking the entire Ukraine doesn't sound like Putin's regret?

It sounds like Russia's resolve on not giving anymore ground to America. Or to 'Nato' if you and others insist?

Ukraine is their own country. Not invading is not "giving ground" to anyone.

There are already oceans between Russia and the US.
I get that. But aren't you missing the obvious fact that this war is America's war against Russia?

Russia is now contending that the Ukrainian people throughout their entire country are biased toward becoming a part of Russia!

America's counter argument to that is in saying that the Crimea didn't choose to become a part of Russia! Could that be the truth or is it more propaganda?

I think you're making a valid point on America's weapons being successful in hurting the Donbas region. This could be motivating Russia to change to taking the entire Ukraine, as a buffer zone between Russia's border and the US.

A bad day for Russia is a good day for America's alliance at least!

Now I'm wondering if Russia truly regrets having to start this war? Russia certainly claims that they didn't think a war was necessary.
Since Russia began this invasion by trying and failing to capture Kyiv, no one with a functioning brain has doubted Putin's intention was always to capture all of Ukraine, so Lavrov's babble about Russia expanding its operations is irrelevant but the fact that he attributes the reason to the new weapons Ukraine's allies have sent serves to validate Ukrainian claims of how much damage they are doing to Russian forces in occupied Ukraine.

And this coming from Lavrov a day after Putin was forced to acknowledge how much damage the sanctions were doing to the Russian economy - this coming just a week after the Russian Prime Minister and Deputy Prime Minister were forced to admit the "colossal" sanctions were doing serious damage to the Russian economy and especially to Russian military factories - is welcome news to the civilized nations of he world.

Of course Russia wants to seize as much territory as it can. Odesa, Kharkiv, Zaporizhzhia are definitely on their radar. What they will get on practice, I don't know. The time will show.

Of course Russia wants to seize as much territory as it can. Odesa, Kharkiv, Zaporizhzhia are definitely on their radar. What they will get on practice, I don't know. The time will show.
I have little confidence that it won't end in a nuclear war against America.

I get that. But aren't you missing the obvious fact that this war is America's war against Russia?

Russia is now contending that the Ukrainian people throughout their entire country are biased toward becoming a part of Russia!

America's counter argument to that is in saying that the Crimea didn't choose to become a part of Russia! Could that be the truth or is it more propaganda?
Enough of this bullshit. Putin has already acknowledged in his Peter the Great speech the purpose of the invasion was to expand the Russian empire westward, not to counter any threats to Russia's security.

Russian President Vladimir Putin on Friday compared himself to the country’s first emperor, Peter the Great, in a speech marking the 350th anniversary of the figure’s birth.

Putin made the comments while visiting a multimedia exhibit about the 18th-century leader, who led a conquest of the Baltic region while at war with Sweden. Putin remarked that Peter the Great viewed the land as rightfully Russian, drawing a connection to the current war Russia is waging against Ukraine.

“He was returning it and strengthening it,” Putin said, according to The New York Times. “Well, apparently, it has also fallen to us to return and to strengthen.”

Putin also noted that when Peter founded the city of St. Petersburg, “none of the countries of Europe recognized it as Russian.”

“It’s impossible — do you understand — impossible to build a fence around a country like Russia,” Putin added.

Putin is acknowledging that the US, NATO, the EU. the West never posed a threat to Russia's security. It only posed a threat to Russia's imperialist expansion to the West.

But aren't you missing the obvious fact that this war is America's war against Russia?

If it was, there would be a lot more burned out Russian tanks and dead Russian troops.

Liars lie.

They never had an honest election, so we don't know for sure.

Enough of this bullshit. Putin has already acknowledged in his Peter the Great speech the purpose of the invasion was to expand the Russian empire westward, not to counter any threats to Russia's security.

Russian President Vladimir Putin on Friday compared himself to the country’s first emperor, Peter the Great, in a speech marking the 350th anniversary of the figure’s birth.
I think you've lost a bit in the translation.
Putin made the comments while visiting a multimedia exhibit about the 18th-century leader, who led a conquest of the Baltic region while at war with Sweden. Putin remarked that Peter the Great viewed the land as rightfully Russian, drawing a connection to the current war Russia is waging against Ukraine.
And along with the translation is the fact that the propaganda barrage has been largely discredited by extremist claims we can talk about.
“He was returning it and strengthening it,” Putin said, according to The New York Times. “Well, apparently, it has also fallen to us to return and to strengthen.”
The NYT??
Putin also noted that when Peter founded the city of St. Petersburg, “none of the countries of Europe recognized it as Russian.”
I think that's what he claimed.
“It’s impossible — do you understand — impossible to build a fence around a country like Russia,” Putin added.

Putin is acknowledging that the US, NATO, the EU. the West never posed a threat to Russia's security. It only posed a threat to Russia's imperialist expansion to the West.
Well, there's an abundance of evidence in that stands to prove US aggression against Russia and the fact that America promised no eastward expansion.

Are you familiar with the territory granted to allied countries as spoils of the war?

But aren't you missing the obvious fact that this war is America's war against Russia?

If it was, there would be a lot more burned out Russian tanks and dead Russian troops.
Well that's the understatement of the decade Todd!

There would be huge nuclear wastelands throughout Russia if America and Russia weren't agreeing on the limitations!

Liars lie.

They never had an honest election, so we don't know for sure.
America may also issue 'confidence' propaganda to prove that she would be capable of stopping all of Russia's ballistic missiles.

Quite possible if god is on America's side!

You're still thinking that Russia's win will be against the Ukraine.
Everyone with a functioning brain understands that the war is between Russia and Ukraine, and that Putin's babble about the US and NATO is just a propaganda trick Putin is using to try to frighten the Russian people into thinking Russia is under threat and they need Putin to protect them. Hitler used the same ruse to keep the German people's support.

Everyone with a functioning brain understands that the war is between Russia and Ukraine, and that Putin's babble about the US and NATO is just a propaganda trick Putin is using to try to frighten the Russian people into thinking Russia is under threat and they need Putin to protect them. Hitler used the same ruse to keep the German people's support.
I can see your contention that Russia really isn't under threat by America.

It's something I could believe in if I was looking for a confidence builder for Canadians and the rest of the world.

We can only hope that it doesn't get any bigger than just the Ukraine. I really dont like the idea at all of a hit on a Russian city with US weapons.

Forum List

Back