Russia To Sell Nuclear Fuel To Iran

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
yeah, should help our relationship.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=7557363

Russia is preparing to sign a deal with Iran this month to start atomic fuel shipments for a Moscow-built nuclear reactor there, a Russian nuclear source said on Monday.
The move is certain to enrage the United States which says Iran can use Russian fuel to secretly make a nuclear bomb. Washington has long called on Russia to drop the plans.

The source in Russia's Atomic Energy Agency said Moscow and Tehran had largely settled all remaining technicalities and were preparing to sign the accord when Alexander Rumyantsev, the agency's head, travels to Iran at the end of February.

"This time the deal will be signed. Of course you can't be 100 percent certain about anything but the probability of that is very high," said the source, who is close to the Iran talks.

The comments confirmed earlier hints by Moscow-based diplomats that Russia and Tehran had overcome disagreement over the deal's terms and were moving closer to signing it after years of talks.

The source said the first containers with fuel would be supplied about two months after signing.

The 1,000-megawatt, $1 billion plant will be then launched in late 2005 and reach full capacity in 2006.

Spent fuel will be sent back to Siberian storage units after about a decade of use -- a condition Russia thinks will remove U.S. concerns that Iran would use the material to make weapons.

TVEL, Russia's state nuclear fuel producer, has for years kept the fuel for Iran's Bushehr plant at a storage facility in Siberia, awaiting Rumyantsev's order to begin shipments.

Oil-rich Iran denies it is developing atomic arms and says its nuclear programs are for peaceful power generation needed to meet the energy demands of its growing population.

On Sunday, Iran's chief nuclear negotiator Hassan Rohani said there was nothing the West could offer Tehran that would persuade it to scrap a nuclear program.

Kathianne said:
Russia is preparing to sign a deal with Iran this month to start atomic fuel shipments for a Moscow-built nuclear reactor there, a Russian nuclear source said on Monday.
I imagine the totalitarian backsliders in the Kremlin find this funny. They make billions selling potential nuke-death to the Mullahs, while the Americans will have to spend billions to get rid of it. Hopefully, the Iranians will arrange for a C.O.D. shipment. Then, after the assweasels in the Kermlin have spent tons of rubles on nuke-fuel refinement and shipment, the Air Force can blow away the Mullah bomb-dream just before receipt. But I’m probably judging the Mullahs too harshly. In their capacity as the Religion of Peace Police in Iran, they insist that the nuke-fuel is only needed to make electricity and a few glow-in-the-dark watches.

We must begin preparing for the conclusion that factual evidence is increasingly pointing to, that Russia is no longer our ally, but again, a rival, albeit one deluded by dreams of being a superpower again.

We need to pay Russia to swap out their uranium with remote activated explosives, let Iran ship it in a container to their weapons site, and -BOOM-!!!

NATO AIR said:
We must begin preparing for the conclusion that factual evidence is increasingly pointing to, that Russia is no longer our ally, but again, a rival, albeit one deluded by dreams of being a superpower again.
you hit that one on the nose. they want to be one of the big boys again and not be leaning towards yet another third world country. selling nuke material seems to be big business nowdays.
we need to start assassinating all the big player in this. and make it as public as possible. and blame it on iraq

What the heck are the Russians thinking? Seriously. Its like they decided to take a page from the John Kerry handbook on how to f&$# things over in the Middle East.

This kind of practice makes sense from the perspective of the Russian government. And people are correct in viewing Russia as by no means an ally to the West, and especially of America.

Say after this report the story disappears because of some backroom deal between Bush and Putin. Putin is up by whatever the US can offer.

More likely, the US will view this unfavorably, much like they did Putin's involvement in Ukraine. But the US did very little to forstall his mettling, aside from some public comdemnation. In this case, the US has no real reason to go to war with Putin over such an exchange, I mean, hell, China does the same thing with Iran, and they're still on the most favored trading partner list!

And barring any sudden US or Isreali rumblings over attacking Iran immediately, what can Russia still gain?

Well, the hard currency, of course. In addition to keeping its nuclear scientists on the payroll and the demand for its products afloat, they'll get a sweet cash deal and oodles of largess from the Ayatolla. And it will complicate the hell out of US ambitions in the area if Iran goes nuclear, which
is naturally fine for Putin.

And finally, should Iran go through a revolution and become less of a totalitarian state, and still obtain nuclear capability, what would a moderate Iran be doing attacking Russia? So no worries for Putin, either way.

Comrade said:
So no worries for Putin, either way.

Nuke armed totalitarian Mullahs accountable to no one on the southern border of Russia, nuke proliferation from the Mullahs to God-knows-where, no US support for Russia’s admittance to the World Trade Organization, no US investment in Russian business, potential American military action inside Iran, potential Israeli military action inside Iran = no worries for Putin? He must be very hard-up for the cash.

onedomino said:
Nuke armed totalitarian Mullahs accountable to no one on the southern border of Russia, nuke proliferation from the Mullahs to God-knows-where, no US support for Russia’s admittance to the World Trade Organization, no US investment in Russian business, potential American military action inside Iran, potential Israeli military action inside Iran = no worries for Putin? He must be very hard-up for the cash.

You miss the point. Iran mullahtocracy challenges the West.

The anti-Democratic forces within this regime are amicable to both China and Russia, and nuclear capability in the hands of Iran does not present a threat to either, so long as the West remains the unchallenged strongman on Earth.

Comrade said:

The anti-Democratic forces within this regime are amicable to both China and Russia, and nuclear capability in the hands of Iran does not present a threat to either, so long as the West remains the unchallenged strongman on Earth.

Kind of like this?

http://www.dhimmi.org/

Comrade said:

I did not miss the point. I just do not think your point is correct. Putin has plenty to worry about. He has no idea where nuke weapons will end up if Mullahs get their hands on them. I assume you are aware of the religious demographics of southern Russia and western China. Moreover, Russia needs US cooperation for admittance to the WTO, World Bank Financing, and American business investment. "Amicable?" What does that have to do with foreign policy? The concept is irrelevant. Countries act in the own interest, period. With nuke armed Mullahs on his southern border, Putin does indeed have much to worry about.

onedomino said:
I did not miss the point. I just do not think your point is correct. Putin has plenty to worry about. He has no idea where nuke weapons will end up if Mullahs get their hands on them. I assume you are aware of the religious demographics of southern Russia and western China. Moreover, Russia needs US cooperation for admittance to the WTO, World Bank Financing, and American business investment. "Amicable?" What does that have to do with foreign policy? The concept is irrelevant. Countries act in the own interest, period. With nuke armed Mullahs on his southern border, Putin does indeed have much to worry about.

besides, is America the only country with "infidels"? something for these buttholes who sell that crap to think about. it gets into the wrong hands, and all of the sudden you have some poor camel jocky trying to get to his after life with 72 viginians with a nuke strapped to his ass

onedomino said:

Now you're not making sense. If Putin is acting in his own interest, and yet by your analysis is not acting in his own interest, why is he providing the technology in the first place. Is he stupid?

No, obviously there is an angle for him, and if you want to say otherwise you sound like you suddenly know more than Putin himself.

Consider the first point that Russia's terrorist problem with Islamists are funded through the Saudi Wahabbi sect and routed through Chechnya, and forces they fight are not primarily financed by Iran.

Secondly, know that any nuclear explosion can be tested after the fact to determine the origin of the Urainium used, and if Iran were to provide the material for a bomb that was eventually used against Russia, having provided this Uranium in the first place, Moscow would very soon find out where it came from. And knowing this would bring masssive retaliation, Iran would never sponsor a terrorist to use the bomb in this fashion.

Your right, countries do act in their own interest. But your still wrong in saying Putin is stupid.

I was responding to your nonsensical statement:
Comrade said:
So no worries for Putin, either way.
I never said Putin was stupid. So do not put words in my mouth. Making statements like the above, Comrade, you would know a lot about not making sense. Obviously, Putin has made a calculation and he is willing to take the risk. But he is very far from having “no worries.”

onedomino said:
I was responding to your nonsensical statement: I never said Putin was stupid. So do not put words in my mouth. Making statements like the above, Comrade, you would know a lot about not making sense. Obviously, Putin has made a calculation and he is willing to take the risk. But he is very far from having “no worries.”

So your proposing that by providing nuclear material to Iran, and naturally providing consulting with the enrichment process as well (which is really the key issue here), which Irain is going to get from China or North Korea or Pakistan or India or perhaps even France otherwise, Russia is increasing the likelihood it will be in turn attacked by Iran or one of its sponsored terrorist groups?

That seems to be what you are saying. Pardon me if not.

To me, its quite obvious that by being involved in the exchange to Iran, Putin is securing a guarantee against being attacked by the Mullahs, by dint of the fact that any bomb exploded over Russian territory would be identified as originating from that same stock, thereby identifying the Mullahs for extreme countermeasures. That is of course, something the Mullahs would NOT wish. More importantly, they have absolutely no interest in doing so. Iran's enemy is America and Isreal, as they so clearly state to the world. And as far as Putin is concerned, Iran is welcome to fight them.

Now does that make sense, or not?

Comrade said:
Consider the first point that Russia's terrorist problem with Islamists are funded through the Saudi Wahabbi sect and routed through Chechnya, and forces they fight are not primarily financed by Iran.
So this means that there will never be Iranian financing of Muslim terrorism in Russia? Once the Mullahs have the bomb they will feel free to attack whomever they wish. It makes no difference if the Muslims in southern Russia are Sunni or Shia. As you know, Shias from Iran fund Sunni terrorism in Israel. So if you were a Russian planner, would you assume there is no risk that Iran will eventually fund brother Muslims in Russia? Remember, I am responding to your statement: “So no worries for Putin either way.”
Comrade said:
So your proposing that by providing nuclear material to Iran, and naturally providing consulting with the enrichment process as well (which is really the key issue here), which Iran is going to get from China or North Korea or Pakistan or India or perhaps even France otherwise, Russia is increasing the likelihood it will be in turn attacked by Iran or one of its sponsored terrorist groups?
That was just one of the reasons I stated why it was not reasonable for you to write: "So no worries for Putin, either way." To answer your question, yes, shipping nuclear material to Iran increases the risk that Russian will find itself on the receiving end of Mullah terrorism. You speak of a guarantee of non-aggression from the Mullahs. Are you serious? What if the Mullahs are overthrown by a pro-democracy movement the day after they receive their nuke material from Russia? Do you believe that the Russian fear of Iranian nuke proliferation to other Islamic groups would be assuaged by such a guarantee? No, the only guarantee the Russians believe is the American guarantee that Iran will never possess nukes. As I said earlier, Putin has made a calculation. He is gambling that the Mullahs will not be overthrown and that they will not fund terrorists operations in southern Russia. He is also gambling that the Americans will not block Russian financing from the World Bank, or block its admittance to the WTO. Further, he is gambling that Americans will not stop investing in Russian business. For all these reasons, contrary to your assertion, Putin has plenty to worry about if he ships nuke fuel (which is the stuff that is enriched) to the Mullahs.

onedomino said:
So this means that there will never be Iranian financing of Muslim terrorism in Russia?

No, it means there won't be a nuclear attack sponsored by Iran on Russia. By securing a relationship through this nuclear agreement, it is also a matter of course for Iran to take all precautions in NOT financing conventional terror against what is now a de-facto military ally.

Once the Mullahs have the bomb they will feel free to attack whomever they wish.

But Russia will know it was them in a nuclear attack, while others will be left only suspecting it was Iran's Uranium that was used to build the bomb. That's the difference between immediate, massive relaliation and another UN 'investigation' to Iran.

It makes no difference if the Muslims in southern Russia are Sunni or Shia. As you know, Shias from Iran fund Sunni terrorism in Israel. So if you were a Russian planner, would you assume there is no risk that Iran will eventually fund brother Muslims in Russia?

There is a reduced risk if Russia aids and abets the Iranian theocracy to achieve self-defence from USA invasion. And such a deal would naturally compel the Iranians to cease any future ambitions in aiding terror attacks on Russia. Iran will be contained by American and Isreali sweat, and any future war will be between them.

Remember, I am responding to your statement: “So no worries for Putin either way.”

Like I said, Iran will get nuclear capability from others if Russia opts out. For Putin, there is only an upside to helping them.

That was just one of the reasons I stated why it was not reasonable for you to write: "So no worries for Putin, either way." To answer your question, yes, shipping nuclear material to Iran increases the risk that Russian will find itself on the receiving end of Mullah terrorism. You speak of a guarantee of non-aggression from the Mullahs. Are you serious?

It's called mutually assured destruction. Are you serious you don't understand that concept?

Why don't you recognize that Russia's involvement will give it something others won't have... a fingerprint on the weapons themselves?

If it doesn't help Iran, someone else will, and in the event of a nuclear detonation on Russian soil, Russia will then have no idea where the uranium came from, which leaves it with no MAD umbrella of deterrent against Iran.

What if the Mullahs are overthrown by a pro-democracy movement the day after they receive their nuke material from Russia?

Why would a democratic country sponsor terror or want to nuke Moscow? Do France or India pose a nuclear terror threat to Russia? Then why should a progressive new Democracy in Iran?

Do you believe that the Russian fear of Iranian nuke proliferation to other Islamic groups would be assuaged by such a guarantee? No, the only guarantee the Russians believe is the American guarantee that Iran will never possess nukes. As I said earlier, Putin has made a calculation. He is gambling that the Mullahs will not be overthrown and that they will not fund terrorists operations in southern Russia. He is also gambling that the Americans will not block Russian financing from the World Bank, or block its admittance to the WTO. Further, he is gambling that Americans will not stop investing in Russian business.

Of course they won't. We invest in China, and they gave nuclear technology to many countries. And recently, too.

For all these reasons, contrary to your assertion, Putin has plenty to worry about if he ships nuke fuel (which is the stuff that is enriched) to the Mullahs.

I challenged each of your reasons.

Can you read?

Comrade said:
No, it means there won't be a nuclear attack sponsored by Iran on Russia
You are constantly erecting arguments against stuff I DID NOT SAY!

Forum List

Back