Russia to revive long-range bomber patrols

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
Associated Press
Updated: 8:47 a.m. CT Aug 17, 2007
MOSCOW - President Vladimir Putin said Friday that he had ordered the military to resume regular long-range flights of strategic bombers, a show of Russia’s resurgent military power which comes amid a chill in relations with the United States.

Speaking after Russian and Chinese forces completed major war games exercises for the first time on Russian turf, Putin said a halt in long-range bombers’ flights after the Soviet collapse had affected Russia’s security as other nations had continued such missions — an oblique reference to the United States.

more ...http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20318458/

The "bear" is still there ... to quote an old ComSec poster.

Yet we have those that want us to dismantle our defenses and claim there is no threat to the US.

I am not quite sure why one would necessarily believe that they are a threat to the US. They obviously have the potential to be a threat, as they have ICBMs, but I don't see any looming areas of conflict that would suggest anything approaching a military confrontation. I personally find Russia to be a fucking scary country, but I don't think that they pose a threat to the US - at least not at present.

Yet we have those that want us to dismantle our defenses and claim there is no threat to the US.

Those folks need level 3 psych evals. Russia was less of a threat when it was the USSR and everybody knew who had their fingers on the buttons, and where all their missiles were.

Half the third world owns a portion of the former Soviet aresenal now.

I am not quite sure why one would necessarily believe that they are a threat to the US. They obviously have the potential to be a threat, as they have ICBMs, but I don't see any looming areas of conflict that would suggest anything approaching a military confrontation. I personally find Russia to be a fucking scary country, but I don't think that they pose a threat to the US - at least not at present.

the cold war will now be waged in the middle east.....

the soviet union collapsed under the weight of afganistan and us economic pressure....

it has recovered and will now seek to return the favour in iraq / iran

the cold war will now be waged in the middle east.....

the soviet union collapsed under the weight of afganistan and us economic pressure....

it has recovered and will now seek to return the favour in iraq / iran
That's right, but the new Soviets have almost all their economic eggs in the hydrocarbon basket. The developed world is moving away from hydrocarbon fuels and the new Soviets will find their income comparatively short-lived. Russia has only 140 million people and its birth rate is -0.5%. It is in deep demographic trouble and hostile Islamic states press against much of its southern border. Overall, the 21st Century will be no fun for the new Soviets.

That's right, but the new Soviets have almost all their economic eggs in the hydrocarbon basket. The developed world is moving away from hydrocarbon fuels and the new Soviets will find their income comparatively short-lived. Russia has only 140 million people and its birth rate is -0.5%. It is in deep demographic trouble and hostile Islamic states press against much of its southern border. Overall, the 21st Century will be no fun for the new Soviets.

We may as well just go ahead and ask them what is it they want.

Forum List

Back